can anyone tell me what this is?

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

That Tech Kid
can anyone tell me what this is?

Post by That Tech Kid » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:13 am

on the xbox 360 rf unit there is a metal "box" on the board (marked in red in the picture) can anyone tell me what it is or if i can remove it? it looks like it is just held to the board by plastic pins and its getting in the way of the case im making.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Re: can anyone tell me what this is?

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:15 am

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that's the RF receiver for the wireless controllers.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

OMGpedobear

Post by OMGpedobear » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:01 am

it is part of the receiver for the wirelss controllers, im not entirely sure what it does but on the board there is thick traces going right under it at startegic points. It might work without it jsut with reduced range on the wireless controllers.

kibble

Post by kibble » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:22 pm

Usually when there's a metal shielding like that around electronics it's to prevent EMI from affecting or being radiated from that particular part of the circuit. It may work just fine with it off, shouldn't hurt to try. If you notice problems, then you'll need to have something there acting as a shield, maybe a piece of insulated aluminum grounded to some point on the board.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

OMGpedobear

Post by OMGpedobear » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:44 pm

im fairly sure it is isnt shielding as it looks a bit like the internals of one of those 180 degree wifi antennas.

That Tech Kid

Post by That Tech Kid » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:12 pm

i took it off of an old rf unit i had and it was only attached with the plastic so it should work without it, i cant test the old rf unit because its fried other wise i would just use the old one instead of the one im using now

OMGpedobear

Post by OMGpedobear » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:24 am

due to 2 nasty cases of rrod, i have 2 rf units and 2 dead mothrboard, i took one rf unit apart bt the other is intact if anyone fancies trying this out your welcome to it.

rickylago2

Post by rickylago2 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:36 pm

Im pretty sure thats the dealy that tells the 360 whether its on its side or standing up.... so i wouldnt take it off
Hackify me cap'n!

That Tech Kid

Post by That Tech Kid » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:36 am

rickylago2 wrote:Im pretty sure thats the dealy that tells the 360 whether its on its side or standing up.... so i wouldnt take it off
it cant be because its only connected by plastic pins and its not touching anything else and plastic isnt conductive.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:57 am

That Tech Kid wrote:
rickylago2 wrote:Im pretty sure thats the dealy that tells the 360 whether its on its side or standing up.... so i wouldnt take it off
it cant be because its only connected by plastic pins and its not touching anything else and plastic isnt conductive.
Not so fast, there could be surface mount stuff inside it.

...or am I missing something?

That Tech Kid

Post by That Tech Kid » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:37 am

there's not, you can see through it, i took it off of my old rf board and from the back you can see see that there is nuthing in it.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:37 am

Ya, I do believe its just an antenna used to communicate to the controllers. Nothing more.
In most cases it would be ok to remove it, but I do have a feeling that sometimes the leads feeding to it are insulated from RF signals. For example, some radios can't pick up crap without an exterior antenna; even such things like paper clips can fix that.

PSPs have small pieces of metal like this linked to their RF units, though its coated in plastic to prevent shorts in the squished internals.