About to start working on Ben's Wii laptop

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

Jidan
About to start working on Ben's Wii laptop

Post by Jidan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:45 pm

Hey everyone - this week I'm going to be starting on making the Wii Laptop that Ben has posted a how-to for. I'm confused about a few things about it, though, so if there is anyone that would be willing to help me out a little bit, I'd really appreciate it :) (I'm not exactly new at this, but I don't know my way around the motherboard, either)

1. What kind of wires will I need to buy to relocate the power/reset/etc/pretty much all of the buttons? In the tutorial, it seems like Ben has the perfect wires for every part that he needs to possibly attach wires to.
2. He says that from the A/V port, he gets left audio, right audio, composite video, A/V ground, sensor bar positive and sensor bar negative. I understand that the final destination of these will be up into the screen portion /and/ the A/V jacks, but which cords go to which places?
3. I really don't understand barely a single part of the WiFi module part - I may not even screw with that at all if the WiFi will still function without extending the wires.
4. It says that the negative side of the battery holder is ground (I still need a bit of explanation as to what "ground" means in these situations...like in "A/V ground") - how would I go about repositioning the battery holder; it makes it seem as though I can just solder the negative side somewhere onto the board.
5. Connecting the Gamecube controller port - it looks as if the diagram isn't quite right that is shown in part two of the tutorial - if anyone could clear up how to do this (and what wires I need to get!)
6. The whole plugs thing - I don't understand these at all - he put a plug on the end of the A/V/sensor bar things and I don't really understand it, especially if some are going to the A/V jacks for standard TV hookup.
7. The battery/power supply - I pretty much need every single part of this explained.
8. The fan - he said he pulled the power out of a gamecube controller - hoshkoshbugwaah?

I'll probably run across some more questions to ask once I really start this, I'm just trying to dive into this with as much knowledge about what I'll actually be doing as I can get.

Thanks again to anyone that can help me; I'd really appreciate it!

mdh16

Re: About to start working on Ben's Wii laptop

Post by mdh16 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:07 pm

Man just keep on reading jis articles over and over till you get it such as if you cant find the pinout find the pin out for the av port its very obvious that you can just look it up on google THINK.... i wanted to build the 360 laptop it took me 4 years just to get bens articles, and 2 360s. :D
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/ ... nter1b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

360 Portable : gettin there
1995 IMPALA SS, 43000 miles all stock unmolested..

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:54 pm

It's not so much that I can't find the pinouts (I have read the article WAY too many times), it's just that there are parts that don't exactly explain very much what I need to do to accomplish a certain thing.

(Also, you may want to stick some [IMG][/IMG] tags around your signature image :P )
Last edited by Jidan on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:55 pm

I also understand that this isn't exactly an...original project, but I'm new to this scene for the most part, have a Wii I can use for this (it's missing the front faceplate and classified as "broken" to anyone who would want to use it) and have at my disposal a full step-by-step (for the most part) guide to doing this so that I can learn the ropes for this sort of stuff :)

mdh16

Post by mdh16 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:52 pm

:lol: Oh your new lol heres a link to the av pin out http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ ... escart.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
any thing else you need post away
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/ ... nter1b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

360 Portable : gettin there
1995 IMPALA SS, 43000 miles all stock unmolested..

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:00 pm

I really hate to be so bothersome - but do you think you could help me as to which one of those pinouts will go to the a/v ports on the side for standard hookup and which ones will go to the screen/speakers?

Here's the complete motherboard assembly. Notice how every part coming off from it has a plug or jack, including a 4-pin header plug on the right which we've wired to left / right audio and composite video out. This will allow us to plug into a port on the case to get these signals to the RCA jacks for standard TV hookup.

At the top of the photo is the end of the wires we attached in part 1, which also contain the audio / video signals as well as power for the sensor bar.

I'm just confused as to which cords I put into that 4-pin header and how I go about doing that and then which cords will go to the top part...