do you think ps3 is a good console? is it worth the buy?

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

xxlucky13xx3
do you think ps3 is a good console? is it worth the buy?

Post by xxlucky13xx3 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:19 pm

I am having trouble deciding if i should buy a ps3 or xbox360
I need some suggestions :!:

Designer noob

Re: do you think ps3 is a good console? is it worth the buy?

Post by Designer noob » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:43 pm

easy xbox360, PS3 has no good games except God Of War.
The N64/GBA Remix
Image ............................................................................................................................................. Xbox360 WVI

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:03 pm

Wrong section. Moving....

collinE

Post by collinE » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:50 pm

Designer noob wrote:easy xbox360, PS3 has no good games except God Of War.
I don't think I like your attitude, fanboy. There are a lot of strong games on the PS3.

I have two 360's and one of them just died on me for the second time a couple days ago. It has me really discouraged and bugged by MS. There are tons of pros and cons for each, though. It's unfortunate that you have to choose...

If you do a lot of online gaming and don't mind the $50 a year, I'd go with the 360. Xbox Live is a lot better experience than PSN. Also, if you're using it strictly for gaming, it has the PS3 beat. It has the Halos and the Gears and that kinda thing. Titles that are multi-platform tend to look and play slightly better on the 360.

I think the PS3 is a better all around unit. It's far more reliable, has wifi, and blu-ray. The Playstation network isn't as good as Live, but you can't beat the price and it has less D-bags playing. It doesn't have as many games as the 360 since it was a year late to the party, but there are definitely enough great games to catch up on and continuously coming out now that you'll never have a shortage.

They're both great consoles and you won't go wrong with either.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:43 am

Reliability is a great factor for me. I won't be picking up a time bomb, unless it's free so that I won't care if it blows up next month.

LIVE vs. PSN is subjective for me. My friend has a PS3, and since we want to play together, I went the PS3 route. If he had a 360, I would have taken the other way.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:58 am

Go with a PS3. Much more reliable.

Take it from me, I work at a videogame store that repaires 360's and PS3's and Wii's. (We have an authorized repair guy.)

People come from different parts of ontario just to get their consoles fixed. Ive been here 9 months and have NEVER saw a ps3 OR wii for repair. But I see about 15 Xbox 360's a week getting repaired.

Its not worth it to get a 360. They have good games but if your console breaks (WHich it most likely will) you wont have a console to play anything on.

So: Why buy games for a console that has a high failure rate? Cant play games on it if its broke.

Get a ps3, free online, better graphics in MOST games, better community (In my opinion. I dont see many screaming kids or tk-ing noobs.)

For the main part, the PS3 has and will be getting some good games.

1) Final Fantasy 13 (Also for 360)
2) Final Fantasy 13 Versus (ps3 exclusive)
3) Final Fantasy 14 (Online MMO.)
4) Eye Pet (Just came out in EUR)
5) Metal Gear Solid 4
5) Resistance Series
6) Ps3 Motion Controller and games
7) Gran Turismo
8 ) God of war
9) Uncharted Series
10) White Knight Chronicles

And many more.

Designer noob

Post by Designer noob » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:34 pm

lol, if you don't like my last review then, heres another.

Xbox360:
The xbox360 will break down about a year, after you get it. You will have to ship it back to Microsoft for a fix. But, its a super quick process, shipping is covered and you get it back in like 2 weeks. They also, give you a one month xbox live card when this happens. So, it makes up for it. Its really a matter of luck, I have never had to send the system in so, far and I have had it for over 2 years. Others, have had to send it in a lot. Its about luck.

The xbox360's live is 55 dollars a year or close to that. Which, isn't very bad at all. Only like 5 dollars a month. Thats 16cents a day. The live is set up is really nice. You can easily talk to your friends, join them in games, and do many things. Never had a problem with it.

PS3:
I don't know much about the PS3, but its more reliable than the xbox360. I don't think there are many problems with the system that will make you send it back to Sony.

I haven't really played online on the PS3 so, I can't tell you how good it is. But, it is free and will save you some cash. You should look into it, there might not be many things you can't do. I don't think there is a friend system set up on the PS3's live.

PS3 has Blueray, but I see no point in it. Movies without blueray still look really good to me. Unless, you just love movies.

There are a lot more games on the xbox360, there is only one good game on the PS3. (This is in my opinion). I haven't really cared for any other games except God Of War. Most, games that are good go both xbox360 and PS3. The games that are really good are only for xbox360.

Choosing:

Its really what you want the system for: If you like reliablity, like watching movies, don't have extra money for live go with the PS3.

If you don't mind sending the console in one a year, have 50 dollars to spend on live, don't care about the movies, go with the xbox360.

If you really don't care about any of the above let the games pick the console for you. Go through all the xbox360 games and PS3 games. See how many you like on each console.

So, it just comes down to reliablity, live, and the type of games you like.
The N64/GBA Remix
Image ............................................................................................................................................. Xbox360 WVI

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:55 pm

Designer noob wrote:The xbox360 will break down about a year, after you get it. You will have to ship it back to Microsoft for a fix.
I guess mine is overdue by 1.5 years.

Designer noob

Post by Designer noob » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Yeah, its usually just about luck. I know people that have had to sent thier xbox360 in like 4 times this past year.
The N64/GBA Remix

collinE

Post by collinE » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:47 pm

Don't say that, Harshboy! Spin around three time and jump backwards on one foot. there... better.

I didn't think the waiting was so bad to get my 360 repaired, but I've heard too many stories of someone buying the new game that was out and putting it in for the first time to play it... then RRoD. Rotten luck. And now my 360 just won't turn on. I can't even send it in to get repaired for free :(

It's getting better but I think the only real problem with the PS3 is that fewer people have it. You're less likely (in america anyway) to have a friend with a PS3 and more likely to have a friend with a 360. You have to remember that a lot of the PS3 buyers early on were just getting a blu-ray player. sooo a lot more movie watchers, not gamers.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

So Many Kinds of Bagels

Post by So Many Kinds of Bagels » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:39 pm

You might think this is biased from the title, but it's not; this guy has been playing games forever and owns all 3 current-gen consoles (plus tons of older ones).

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 28BED1CAEC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately the second video got taken down for some reason; it talked about how you can replace the PS3 hard drive with any laptop drive, how it has an internet browser which has its own infinite uses, and how you don't need a $100 wireless adapter like with the 360.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4lmY9qKM98&fmt=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Same guy, his PS3 collection as of this September.
Valve is the best company.

ArugulaZ

Post by ArugulaZ » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:13 pm

I've been lucky too... I bought my Xbox 360 used in 2006, and it's still working over three years later. Then again, I've got one of those cooling fans on the back, which seems to keep it frosty over long gaming sessions. Also, I don't really use it that often.

The one big strike against the Xbox 360 is Microsoft's dillhole attitude about peripherals. No controllers unless THEY license them, no memory cards unless THEY get their cut, no hard drives unless THEY make them, etc. etc. etc. Meanwhile, the Playstation 3 quite readily accepts third party peripherals of all stripes... flash drives, hard drives, printers (!?), even that Saturn replica controller you bought for your PC. If you want a Saturn controller for your Xbox 360, you have to build it from the spare parts of a licensed controller and a cast-off Saturn pad like some game-crazed Dr. Frankenstein. I've done this, mind you, but it sucks and shouldn't even be necessary. Hey, Microsoft! What part of UNIVERSAL serial bus don't you understand?!

Anyway. The Xbox 360 does have a largely deserved reputation for breaking, so if you don't want to take that risk, go with the Playstation 3. However, if money's tight and you plan to purchase a new system, go with the Xbox 360. Stick with used games rather than Microsoft's crazy expensive peripherals and you'll save yourself a whole lot of money. You can get early releases like Kameo for a handful of pennies and pocket lint. The cheapest I've ever been able to find a used Playstation 3 game is eight bucks, and I felt exceedingly lucky that I got it for that price.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:39 pm

Before one can get too deep into giving you a suggestion on which way to go they need to know what you will primarily be using it for.

I own a 360 and a PS3. This has been my experience so far...

When I want to play a game, I play it on the 360. The only exception is with PS3 exclusives like Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Killzone 2, etc. All cross-platform games get bought for the 360. Why? First and foremost I prefer the 360's controller. Beyond that generally cross-platform games have better graphics on the 360, achievements are cooler than trophies, and 360 has the killer app of this generation. Live. The PSN doesn't even come close to providing the same level of quality and cohesiveness. The old adage "you get what you pay for" is dead on in this case. Not to say that the PSN is bad, but it just isn't in the same league as Live.

When I want to watch a movie, I watch it on PS3. Why? Blu-ray of course! I'm a big movie geek and to me Blu-ray provides a significant leap over DVD. This was my primary reason for buying the PS3. The exclusive games are just a nice bonus. As of today the PS3 (like the 360) has Netflix integration which is also a nice feature to be aware of.

The PS3 hardware is better, but the 360 has made major gains in this area. If you go to the store today and buy one with the newer chipset your odds of having a failure are much lower than those of us who got a system early on. Plus, if your system does fail it is backed by the best warranty out there. 1 year for anything that goes wrong with it and 3 years for the RROD. So really there is nothing to fear from a reliability standpoint as far as I'm concerned.

If you're looking at this purely from a gaming perspective I think the choice is simple. Go with the 360. If movies and the few exclusives the PS3 has are important to you then you may have to lean in that direction.

If you give us some insight into your gaming preferences that will help us give you a better suggestion.

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:44 pm

Agreed with previous poster

The 360 HAD a high failure rate. MS has taken a few steps to lower that by reducing the architecture to 45 nm from I believe 90 nm. This is pretty huge when it comes to heat. They also added a heat pipe which greatly reduces the heat stress on the GPU as the CPU gets better cooling. The repair guy who posted earlier will continue to encounter pre-jasper and some jasper 360s in need of repair, but this doesn't mean anything other than that people continue to put a tiny computer inside of an area with no air flow and play it for hours straight in the summer heat with no AC on. I know a car repair guy who has never worked on a Lexus. It's not neccesarily better quality but there are certainly fewer of them out there, so it "appears" that they have a lower failure rate.

The 360 has a few perks such as the live experience and a better selection of games. I like to think of it as comparing the original PS to the N64. The library of good 360 games is pretty close to the entire library of PS3 games. The 360 doesn't support as many peripherals but other than custom controllers I cannot think of any I need. I have a 60 GB HDD which isn't anywhere near to being full. The PS3 has built in wifi. I don't use wifi because of signal drop and because I live in an apartment complex and any war driver could walk into my network if they wanted to. I turn off wireless and don't worry about it. I turn it on only when I need it. I dont want to broadcast all day long.

The PS3 does folding, which is good if you want to contribute to genome research and other stuff..

The 360 was my choice over the two. I have had mine a year with no problems. Others I know who own both tend to choose the 360 for gaming over the PS3.

knowledgegranted

Post by knowledgegranted » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:54 pm

If you haven't bought a system yet:

I own both a 360, and a PS3. I am not a fanboy of either companies, therefor my thoughts are not bias at all.

Online: The weird thing with online is that they both have Pro's and Con's. For those of you saying the PS3 has no online friend system you are completely wrong, UTTERLY wrong. The $55 a month for the Xbox360 online is not much, like someone else said, only 16 cents a day. It allows for you to join people in game through the game system (Xbox 360 online), which is very convenient.

GamePlay (graphics): Technically speaking, the PS3 has way more advantage over the Xbox360 in this because it has better hardware. The 360's computer equivalent of a video card would be a Geforce 7600 (they have the same architecture), while the PS3 would stand against a Geforce 7800 series (architecture also equivalent). The final product of both systems really does resemble that of their hardware; the PS3 does come out on top and also supports the Blu-ray, which is also nice.

Networking/Harddrive: The Xbox360 does not come standard with Wifi, and the Ps3 does. The PS3 also sells a 200Gb version for the equivalent of Xbox360's 60Gb version.

Wrapping it up: The gameplay and games available are better for the 360, overall system wise, I go PS3.

For me the overall would just be the Playstation 3, my Xbox barely gets touched. When both my brother and I want to game we race to the PS3.
An enthusiast in all of my interests, computers, consumer electronics, engineering, politics, economics, and global affairs.