MY 360 LAPTOP BUILD LOG UPDATE NOV 19

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

mdh16
MY 360 LAPTOP BUILD LOG UPDATE NOV 19

Post by mdh16 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:33 pm

Been working on this for quite a while and couldnt finish it because of football.. so far ive just hardwired the hdd, wired up the lcd, and redid the psu . So today im inovating on a cooling solution with some parts i had laying around (notice the ps3 fan) it runs so Loud on 12 volts and is tooo big to run off of 5V..

Heres a pic of it in action i was playing the forza 3 demoImage\

Pic of the psu, uses the ps3 ac adapter, with bigger fan and artic silver big clunk which is a waste

last since the lcd housing is very slimish.. so ive had to slim down the driver board and relocate the psu .. anyway heres a pic of the drive board its 40 percent complete still got some boring desoldering to do...Image

if you cant see the photos they were tookin from my palm pre so heres the links : http://www.flickr.com/photos/43656925@N ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43656925@N ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43656925@N ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by mdh16 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/ ... nter1b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

360 Portable : gettin there
1995 IMPALA SS, 43000 miles all stock unmolested..

mdh16

Re: MY 360 LAPTOP BUILD LOG

Post by mdh16 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:48 pm

SO the last two weeks ive been working on the dxf file in which i shall give to a forum member to be cut via cnc instead of crappy hand work... so the theme im using is of course what every body else is doing of course a breif case pelican STYYLEE... no external ports in which im 95% complete im now working on the top loaded dvd drive which is quite a easy design.. plus the motherboard work is all finished all female/male headers added... today ive ordered all supplies to make the job complete.. :lol:

Here a pic of the cad file im working on notice ben's templates they dang sure helpout a lot instead of having to make your own which is a pain..
also it will have a digital composite output for hdtv usage gotta go all out with your own prodjects {sorry for the gay pics they were token from my palm pre..: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43656925@N02/4048445717/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last heres a simple pic of the brief case im using its big of course to house the 19 inch dvi widescreen::::: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43656925@N ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MORE PHOTOS TO COME :lol:
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/ ... nter1b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mdh16

Post by mdh16 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:04 pm

Heres a short update of every thing wired inside (ignore theblue tape ive replaced it with eletrical tape) every things all wired up ive tested it 4hours straight playing the new GTA: Ballad Of Gay Tony and it ran smoothly :P ..In the last photo i was using a 19 inch lcd ive, now found out i can use a 20" lcd LOL.. so i have more ribbon cables, new lcd, 3x 40mm fans,and camera, The LCD is a gateway and its nice it has a glossy lcd wafer 8)..Lastly every thing seems to stay fit in there well with velcro lol....

PIC :Image

OLD PICS: Image

knowledgegranted

Post by knowledgegranted » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:18 pm

Not really sure why people have not commented, I'm getting some weird vibes from this forum....Anyways:

This project is looking pretty good mate, although, I don't have much experience in make game portables. The cooling systems is pretty good, the newer heat sinks are a good idea. I will be following this project; good luck on the rest!

Regards,
Jim
An enthusiast in all of my interests, computers, consumer electronics, engineering, politics, economics, and global affairs.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Looking good. I think everyone is just surprised that someone is actually building a 360 laptop. Most people say they want to, but then nothing comes of it. So congrats to you for actually following through. 8) Keep us posted.
What game is shown on the screen in this pic?

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:52 pm

knowledgegranted wrote:Not really sure why people have not commented, I'm getting some weird vibes from this forum....Anyways:

This project is looking pretty good mate, although, I don't have much experience in make game portables. The cooling systems is pretty good, the newer heat sinks are a good idea. I will be following this project; good luck on the rest!

Regards,
Jim
I actually just noticed this thread. This is looking pretty sweet thus far! Keep it up man! I will watch this thread with anticipation!!! :)
Image Image

mdh16

Post by mdh16 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:52 pm

Updates: didnt have practice today so i decided to do some tweaking to the inside .Also after many times i said i was going to do the dvd drive i finally got started on it and the game that was being used was forza 3 in the OLD PIC...

Started on the dvd drive to make it top loaded 8) ( Its a benq drive)

you notice, the bottom plate being held by nuts and bolts from radioshack, also i covered the laser for when I cut the post of the drive chassi which is being cut with a grinder :

Results: i had cut the top and bottom post, and reason why for cutting the top posts os for the top of the drive to be flush with the mounting plate since its going to be top loaded :lol:

Next I head back inside home to modify the function of the drive to work with limit switches but i couldnt find no way to do it, so I briged two sets of connections, and if i bridge those two connections it keeps the drive from ejecting the tray and other open/close features...
Dang I did so much that i have to make a Part 2 LMAO :P

mdh16

Re: MY 360 LAPTOP BUILD LOG (Part 2) Nov12

Post by mdh16 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:27 pm

So continuing on from last post Afer doing work on the dvd-drive i put it back togeth tested it and it worked fine but I still need to find a way to keep the drive from getting those D%M circle scraches from the laser Ive inovated some solutions but I have yet to try them when i have my plates cut from the cnc shop. :lol:

Finished Drive: Image

Also for testing purposes, and for the humanity of my new games i added velcro on the botton dvd drive plate as a insurance policy Image

Next in line with specia help of member knowlege to get my brain moving, ive decided to change to cpu heat sink in which i never had no mind of changing from the old copper one. So I have a about 2 boxes full of ps3 and xbox360 parts collected of ebay, I found one off one off a broken falcon 360 motherboards i had. so while i had the motherboard out i decided to take some pics.

( also Ive tested it without the fan and theres a big difference from the old copper and alluminum heat sink that heated up in like one min , now it took like 3 to 4 mins to fully heat :shock:

Last for now pics of the enthernet and usb ports connected to male headers in which i took all the male/female headers i need off an ald portable dvd player they work fine, and there easy to solder with, and saves cash out my poket 8)

mdh16

Post by mdh16 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:46 pm

Last thing to do tonight was put it BACK together velcro works perfectly in these type of situations you should try it..

But before I get to the final pic I did some work on the psu and its 80% complete notice the psu's fan it will soon be replaced in with one of the 50mm fans i ordered yesterday in which its job is to keep the psu and lcd psu/lampinverter board cool :idea: ...

Finally heres a pic of it all together notice for testing purposes i have all the ports and ring of light velcroed to the sides and it runs the same .... FLAWLESSLY :P :P

Ill try and get a pic of the templates i drawed using a cad program of my fathers, corel draw. trying to get this dang thing to convert to jpeg lol instead of taking a crapy photo from my palm pre. (can anybody tell my how i can get pics from my desktop that will be a easy way . :idea:
Last edited by mdh16 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:50 pm

We don't often get beginners/new members in here that say they are going to make a 360 laptop and actually get started and make progress.

Good job so far, keep up the good work!

mdh16

Post by mdh16 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:17 pm

snowpenguin wrote:We don't often get beginners/new members in here that say they are going to make a 360 laptop and actually get started and make progress.

Good job so far, keep up the good work!
Actually ive been reading bens articles for 4 years and really got to know the function ofa xbox 360 but i just didnt want to post 360 mods in this forum insted i just wanted to post a portable prodject on here since i never seen a custom cnc made one yet :shock:

mdh16

Post by mdh16 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:14 pm

Felt like i can do so more work on it. So all I really did was rewire ps3 adapter, and finish up the multimedia av male adapter, and lastly attatch the speakers and connect their headers

I scraped the idea of having a hd component port added since this will just be my personal portable system whats the need i already have 4 other 360s to play on. So mainly this will provide the sound since im using a hdmi to dvi connection

PICS: Image I know glue on top messy lol :P

Oh I forgot i scraped the idea of extending the original Wifi antenna so i just used an old ps3 antenna I had laying around 8) Image

collinE

Re: MY 360 LAPTOP BUILD LOG UPDATE !

Post by collinE » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:12 am

talk a little bit more about the dvd drive. I'm curious about how its turned into top loading. What are some of the obstacles in doing it that way?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:20 pm

Woah buddy! are you saying you replaced the /heat pipe/ heatsink on the /cpu/ with a solid aluminum block???

That could be bad times! It probably takes longer to heat up because it does not work as efficiently. The heatsink getting hot is a good thing, it means the processor is getting cold. Check out how heat pipes work... That thing has one in it for a very good reason.

It is also twice the size... so you might have balanced things out.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

mdh16

Post by mdh16 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:15 pm

timmeh87 wrote:Woah buddy! are you saying you replaced the /heat pipe/ heatsink on the /cpu/ with a solid aluminum block???

That could be bad times! It probably takes longer to heat up because it does not work as efficiently. The heatsink getting hot is a good thing, it means the processor is getting cold. Check out how heat pipes work... That thing has one in it for a very good reason.

It is also twice the size... so you might have balanced things out.
Trust me im following microsorft with this one because before the jasper came out they started putting these on their falcon boards for the dreaded RROD, but i dont see why i should change back to the heat pipe ive never seen any problems come out of one of bens 360 portables of course that he modified his but if i have any problems i have some copper in the back shed then ill modify it, might do it this week depending on other things to do. :x