power brick red...

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

Tallon
power brick red...

Post by Tallon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:35 am

So I haven't tested the 360 in awhile by powering it up, finally got my portable's case together and most things assembled and my psu light turns red when I plug it in. The xbox won't turn on.
I may have soldered the ROL board to the mobo wrong? But I didn't think that could cause that anyway. Not sure what can cause the red light on PSU except for too much current?
I've unplugged my temp monitor, fans, etc that I am using for my 360p but still got the red light. What else could cause it?
current project 360p:
2.8" laptop with 17"ws, keyboard and mouse/playstation compatible in games, temp sensors, 6 more usb ports
What I need: a second wifi adapter, case 70% done
Image <- last 360 mod (sunbeam transformer case lookalike)

rikitheshadow

Re: power brick red...

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:11 pm

Something must of tripped the fail safes in the power brick, thats all I know. Every once in a while my powerbrick goes red and refuses to allow me xbox to turn on randomly when the unit has been powered down for days, but normally all I have to do is cut the juice to the powerbrick and turn it back on.

Tallon

Post by Tallon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:44 pm

nah I have two and both turn red so it's something with the 360

anyone?
current project 360p:
2.8" laptop with 17"ws, keyboard and mouse/playstation compatible in games, temp sensors, 6 more usb ports

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:53 pm

Do they both have the same input rail voltage?

You know how microsoft revised the xbox and their power bricks multiple times. *rolls eyes*
Though I do know they did change the connectors and ports to sort out adaptability issues!
My friend's xbox is a little newer than mine, but my power brick won't fit his or vice versa.

Tallon

Post by Tallon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:01 pm

They both fit the 360.. and to see if there was a difference I have another 360 mobo next to it with 3rrod,nothing plugged into it no heat sinks, caps, and some missing components and I get orange light from both bricks. Weird!

I had to rip all my stuff off the board (leds, stuff I wired to usb's, ROL/DVD/HDD wires, everything) and still get red light from both bricks. :'(
Just when I have everything perfect the power supply won't work with the board but it will work with the junk board that is missing tons of stuff and has 3rrod and probably some traces broken.

*sigh*
current project 360p:

Tallon

Post by Tallon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:47 am

Anyone know what could be causing this? I don't know what else to try because it's just the mobo and the power brick. The light on the brick (either one) should be orange. -.-

I don't know if having no memory card ports would make a difference?.. because having no usb ports or ROL panel makes no difference.
Would a broken trace or something cause it? Not sure if there is one though, would probably be hard to find.
current project 360p:

karanisback

Post by karanisback » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:07 pm

my first power brick light turned red because i had too many fans in it
make sure if you did any 12v or 5v fan mod that you soldered the right spots and that there is no solder bridging unnecessary connections
also make sure you aren't trying to draw too much power from the 360s power brick
good luck on the 360
oh if you don't mind could you tell me what you made you're case out of cause i'm stuck trying to make the case for my 360 portable

Tallon

Post by Tallon » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:08 am

Well I had the fans wired to the 3 prong plug so I didn't solder the board for that, I had a molex soldered to the power points but I tested it after doing it and didn't have this problem. Yeah I looked at everything I can't see any solder mistakes even when I took everything off the board :( Doesn't make sense

Yeah I hate not having a cnc machine.. I went to lowes and bought some aluminum sheets and the aluminum L angle stuff and made a frame out of it then riveted the sheet metal to it. Takes time putting the special holes in it, though.
I don't know how much harder it is to melt plastic into a box but the plastic is probably cheaper than the aluminum.
current project 360p:

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:20 pm

Tallon wrote:Yeah I hate not having a cnc machine.
Well you're in luck!

8)
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

Tallon

Post by Tallon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:23 am

lol I know I know
I'm too much of a DIY person
I usually end up using a razor blade or something no matter how long it takes..like the cut in my signature was cut with an xacto knife
..also spent too much $ already

And I fixed the problem, some how! I just went around melting solder on the board and random things, I didn't see anything wrong with it but something I did fixed it lol
strange
Now I have to solder everything back on again -.-

Does anyone know how I can make a connector or something for the ROL connections on board? Hate having the top barely hanging off to the side when Trying to get everything connected.
current project 360p:

karanisback

Post by karanisback » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:39 pm

all Right nice work on getting it to work
and about that rol connector
what I did was desolder the connector off of the motherboard and just extended it by soldering some IDE wire from the motherboard to the detached connector so that I could just connect the rol board to the extended connector
hope that helps