Help moving the xbox 360 ring of light board...

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

omega maximus
Help moving the xbox 360 ring of light board...

Post by omega maximus » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:04 pm

For about 4 days I have been trying to rack my brain trying to figure a way to move the RF board (ring of light) I am building a case that requires it to be about 4 inches from the mother board. I tried doing a surch but only found a reference to someone using a ribbon but nothing more. I can solder the ROL board, but I would prefer not to desolder the port on the mother board. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Help moving the xbox 360 ring of light board...

Post by hackmodford » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:32 am

:facepalm: If you can't figure this one out I think you should STOP now! :facepalm:

Okay... there's probably a cable going to the ring of light board... It's probably got 5 or less or more... wires connected to it... You need to cut 1 wire in half... then use another wire you've got lying around to extend it... repeat for each wire connecting to the ROL board. You should then have a really long wires going from rol to the xbox... make sense?

omega maximus

Post by omega maximus » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:48 pm

hackmodford wrote::facepalm: If you can't figure this one out I think you should STOP now! :facepalm:

Okay... there's probably a cable going to the ring of light board... It's probably got 5 or less or more... wires connected to it... You need to cut 1 wire in half... then use another wire you've got lying around to extend it... repeat for each wire connecting to the ROL board. You should then have a really long wires going from rol to the xbox... make sense?
Have you ever even seen the inside of a 360? There is no cable going from the board to the rol, The rol plugs directly into a 9 pin port on the motherboard.

I have desoldered both ports from both boards and used ribbon cable to make my jumper, but I have no power and the green light on the power brick turns red when I plug it in now, so clearly I made a wrong turn at Albuquerque...

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:54 pm

If I could guess I'd say red=problem, turn me off NAO! Put up a picture o what it looks like and we can help you.

omega maximus

Post by omega maximus » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:47 pm

I already desoldered the main board from the rol (I was worried that I may have fried it) board powers up by eject button so it is fine. I will post some picks when the batteries charge for my camera.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:59 pm

double-check your wiring and make sure you got it right, I guess.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

karanisback

Post by karanisback » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:37 pm

yes
i to am working on a 360 portable
the best way i found was to just desolder the rf board connector on the card itself