xbox360 laptop questions

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

shad0wlink
xbox360 laptop questions

Post by shad0wlink » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:29 pm

So when the Wii Laptop came out i wanted one, but the thing was that I'm no rich kid. So i shrugged it off and waited. But then realized that I could start small! Around 3 years later? and almost 50 smaller projects (mintyboosters, firefly jars,ybox2, phone rebuilds, console fixings/modding, I think that I'm ready for the Xbox 360 laptop, you ask why the xbox and not the wii? well its because you can take the xbox to lans. :D

So here are the tools I have.

A. Soldering Experience
B. Soldering Tools
C. Various Drills and Welders (grandfather who stays with us is a blacksmith)
D. Xbox 360 - 203Watt the oldest kind
E. Time

I need to find a CNC machine that I can use, I'm located in the Bay Area in California. Not looking to add the keyboard or camera. Also i would like to keep it a glossy white. (macbook, ds, and motorcycle common I wanna match!)

Only 2 issues that i have right now,
1. Finding a Screen to use (gonna get one on BlackFriday in November :[ or if i see a nice one ill get it)
2. Making the New heat sink. I really don't wanna mess with the CPU/GPU, i could always add more height to the laptop.

Thanks for the Help,
Amar

collinE

Re: xbox360 laptop questions

Post by collinE » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:12 pm

I've talked before on here about a decent 17" Westinghouse I got off eBay for $37 shipped. lots of good deals if you can handle having a used screen. Tigerdirect.com always has good deals on monitors.

If you keep your eyes open in a few different places you'll eventually find an awesome deal :)
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

shad0wlink

Post by shad0wlink » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:19 pm

HOLY crap! 37 bucks! DAM imma start looking! is there a recommended size?

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_

Post by Zeturi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:31 pm

The bigger your screen, the more room you have to work with on the bottom half. Probably don't want to go too much bigger than a 17" monitor though, a 19" maybe, or it will be too big to move.
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

shad0wlink

Post by shad0wlink » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:32 pm

just found a nice 17 incher. this is really sweat! now i need to find the CNC machine and start hacking away! i think im in love with the "portable" rendition of the laptop.

collinE

Post by collinE » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:26 pm

I agree, it looks a lot more professional.

Good luck!
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:17 pm

I have a CNC machine...
however, I live in Colorado, so I could ship it to you or something.
If not, I could probably find another business down where you live. I used to live in California!
Good luck, you will certainly need it. Don't lose heart!
(Also, consider getting a newer 360... the old ones are the ones that get the hottest.)
Have fun!
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

shad0wlink

Post by shad0wlink » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:30 pm

man you guys are so helpful! Yeah if i cant find one local ill call you up, my dad has a frieght shipping company and i've heard of them making stops in Colorado so maybe you could hand it off to his driver? well thanks man and about the new xbox, i think im just gonna go with what i got, and if it messes up then ill just get a new one! :D

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:50 am

shad0wlink wrote:well thanks man and about the new xbox, i think im just gonna go with what i got, and if it messes up then ill just get a new one! :D
Sounds good! I just thought you should know that they are harder to cool.
That's probably why most of the 360s that got the Red Ring of Death had an older rev board.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724