Installing old school games on hard drive?

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

MountainMotor
Installing old school games on hard drive?

Post by MountainMotor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:24 pm

I was just wondering how some of you install, arcade, nes, snes, etc. games to your hard drives? I had a friend a few years ago that had an xbox with hundreds of old games ripped to his hard drive and was wondering if I could do this on my 360 or PS3? I'm sure he was running some sort of emulator, I've tried them on my computer before, but wasn't for sure how he did that on a console.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Re: Installing old school games on hard drive?

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:18 pm

No, so far there's nothing for the 360 that is worth the effort. If you want that, buy an original xbox. You can get them for ~$40, then mod it.

MountainMotor

Post by MountainMotor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:17 pm

How did people do it on the original xbox? Mod chip?

Zero_D

Post by Zero_D » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:43 pm

Sorry, this can't be done on a 360 currently. The closest you'll get on a 360 is Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection or the games ported to Xbox Live Arcade. As for PS3, you can install Linux on it and then run emulators from there, but its not really worth it if you only plan on using it for emulators.

On the Wii you can use the Twilight Hack or Banner Bomb to install the Homebrew Channel, then from there you can load the emulator of your choice. If you choose to use the original Xbox you'll need either a Softmod, a Modchip, or flash the TSOP. If you go with the Softmod route, you'll need some way of transferring saves from your PC to your Xbox, then you have to transfer a save game exploit, load up the save and install the softmod. Once you do that you just transfer the emulator and roms to the Xbox through FTP to use them.

MountainMotor

Post by MountainMotor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:53 pm

What kind of mod chip work work for this? When I look around for modchip's, I find about a dozen different kinds.

Biased

Post by Biased » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:06 am

If you're talking about mod chips for an original xbox, the best advice I can give you is to soft mod it instead of putting a mod chip in it. It's cheaper and you don't have to worry about physically destroying the motherboard and taking apart/putting everything back together.

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:50 am

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversio ... 3-100.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should give you a pretty good idea how to get started. If you google Hotswap ndure krazie you should come up with some other step by steps that are also good. With this method you do not

1. need a mod chip
2. need a save game or exploit
3. need to spend money

Not a bad combination IMO. I suggest using this method on an original xbox, and then load up with emus.

Alternatively, get a decent P4 with a low end video card, hook it up with a logitec joystick and a wireless mouse and connect to TV. Don't worry about being under powered on an emu again!