The "WiiBoy", first ever Wii Portable.

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

palmertech
The "WiiBoy", first ever Wii Portable.

Post by palmertech » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:39 pm

I am going to first define a portable as "not a laptop", so this is indeed the first WiiP. ;)

It is going to be as small as humanly possible for a WiiP with no missing features. That includes all 4 GC controller ports! I plan on making one after this with a 2.5" laptop drive instead of a disc drive, but I want to be able to have this one play GC games; Then it will also be the smallest GCp! :D

Here is my discussion thread if you are interested, not really a worklog, there is nothing in it that is not here: http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are the pics I took a few days back, I have made a wee bit of progress, but I am going to make progress pretty fast, since the case work is coming along swell.

Here is the first pic, sorry for the flash, could not be bothered to figure out how to turn it off:

Here is the second, only difference is a GC controller placed on top to use as a point of reference.

Any tips/feedback/input/useless posts you wanna throw here? Feel free! :lol:

Excellent

Axaj

Re: The "WiiBoy", first ever Wii Portable.

Post by Axaj » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:06 pm

Great job so far, but what are you going to do for controls?
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar

jleemero

Post by jleemero » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:18 pm

Axaj wrote:Great job so far, but what are you going to do for controls?
If I recall, he's eliminating traditional Wiimote control, simply because so many games are capable of taking advantage of the Gamecube Controller.

Surely, of course, it will still be possible to use a Wiimote, if need be.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:45 pm

will be neat.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:04 pm

palmertech wrote:It is going to be as small as humanly possible for a WiiP with no missing features. That includes all 4 GC controller ports! I plan on making one after this with a 2.5" laptop drive instead of a disc drive, but I want to be able to have this one play GC games; Then it will also be the smallest GCp! :D
GC games couldn't be loaded from harddisk last I heard. Something about the IOS for GC games turning off all Wii hardware, including USB. I also seem to recall that Wii games don't like the disc drive not attached. Perhaps these have been taken care of, though, as the Wii homebrew scene is moving fairly fast.

totokan

Post by totokan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:26 pm

Never name a portable the WiiP. It's too depressing. Nice job so far, though!
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:32 pm

tom61 wrote:
palmertech wrote:It is going to be as small as humanly possible for a WiiP with no missing features. That includes all 4 GC controller ports! I plan on making one after this with a 2.5" laptop drive instead of a disc drive, but I want to be able to have this one play GC games; Then it will also be the smallest GCp! :D
GC games couldn't be loaded from harddisk last I heard. Something about the IOS for GC games turning off all Wii hardware, including USB. I also seem to recall that Wii games don't like the disc drive not attached. Perhaps these have been taken care of, though, as the Wii homebrew scene is moving fairly fast.
Precisely. This one can play GC games, the next will only be for Wii games. And I have a flatmii to plug into the disc drive slot, it is a very small chip, and tricks the wii into thinking the drive is there.

Excellent

Zero_D

Post by Zero_D » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:36 am

Gah! I was planning on building something just like this when my "portablizing skillz" matured. :lol:

It looks great so far though, keep up the good work because this seems very interesting indeed.

Axaj

Post by Axaj » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:52 am

jleemero wrote:
If I recall, he's eliminating traditional Wiimote control, simply because so many games are capable of taking advantage of the Gamecube Controller.

How will the menu be navigated?
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:20 pm

Axaj wrote:
jleemero wrote:

How will the menu be navigated?
BootMii can add a menu before the main one would come up that is navigable with the GameCube controller.

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:57 am

Sounds like a great idea!! :D but just as tom61 said you can't play gamecube games of the hdd since the usb port is disabled in gamecube mode.

How would you load gamecube games without the discdrive?
Interested in more of my projects?? Check my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or email me at loctronics@gmail.com with your request.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:25 pm

zenloc wrote:Sounds like a great idea!! :D but just as tom61 said you can't play gamecube games of the hdd since the usb port is disabled in gamecube mode.

How would you load gamecube games without the discdrive?
Well, this one has a disc drive, and integrated GC controller. This is really being made as a GCp that also happens to play some Wii games. :wink: For my next one, I am gonna ditch the disc drive and just use a USB HDD, and I know that it will be unable to play GC games, so it will be a "real" WiiP. :mrgreen:

So the goal is to first make the worlds smallest WiiP with ALL features intact (This one), then make a second that is scaled down in features and size.

Excellent

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:51 pm

two things; make some sort of stand for the thing to stand up for wii useage, and make it so the gamecube controller can disconnect, some games will not allow you to use the wiimote if a controller is plugged into the 1st GC port, (you only need to worry about the red wire, disconnect that and the controller is, as far as the console is concerned, unpulgged)

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Diminuendo wrote:two things; make some sort of stand for the thing to stand up for wii useage, and make it so the gamecube controller can disconnect, some games will not allow you to use the wiimote if a controller is plugged into the 1st GC port, (you only need to worry about the red wire, disconnect that and the controller is, as far as the console is concerned, unpulgged)
Thanks for the heads up, never even thought of that.

And yes, it will have a stand.

Excellent

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:41 pm

I would put your switch on the data line, not power, or if at all possible, switch both. Even though you unplug power, the controller may still deliver unwanted electrical noise, so if you unplug data it may still draw a minute voltage but you'll have no noise. Switching power and data would be better though.