Xbox controller LED mod

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

Monopoly
Xbox controller LED mod

Post by Monopoly » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:48 am

My brother and I modded the LED's in our controllers and the console from GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN to BLUE YELLOW RED GREEN.
http://www.freewebs.com/xtremelampshade ... d=43331005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a link to the pics. They wouldn't upload to my post, so I put them on my website.
Tell me here what you think.

Zero_D

Re: Xbox controller LED mod

Post by Zero_D » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:39 pm

The images are a bit blurry, but the concept is definitely cool. Was this inspired by the Super Famicom/PAL SNES controller colors?

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:15 pm

it was not, and it looks like crap :lol: , ask to use my camera phone next time.
sweet though, did you get the kits from llama.com?

Monopoly

Post by Monopoly » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Hahaha, sony. Your camera phone is only good for recording things on Portal. We got some LED's and unsoldered the green ones, and then resoldered the current ones. If anybody wants, I can put up a guide or walkthrough for how to. Also, the color combination was inspired by Windows 7.
Last edited by Monopoly on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zero_D

Post by Zero_D » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:18 pm

SonyPortableizer wrote:it was not, and it looks like crap :lol: , ask to use my camera phone next time.
sweet though, did you get the kits from llama.com?
Monopoly wrote:Hahaha, sony. Your camera phone is only good for recording things on Portal. We got some LED's and unsoldered the green ones, and then resoldered the current ones. If anybody wants, I can put up a guide or walkthrough for how to. BTW, Sony, answer my emails!
Wait, do you two know each other irl? :?

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:26 pm

no im just an AS5Hole :lol:

Monopoly

Post by Monopoly » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:56 pm

I f people want to know how to do it, here.
Materials:Soldering iron
Solder
LED's for your colors
T-8 torx screwdriver
Xbox 360 controller (duh)
De-soldering braid
Step 1. Open the controller by unscrewing the 7 screws with the - surprise - screwdriver. The 7th screw is under the barcode behind the battery pack.

Step 2. Heat up your soldering iron if you haven't already and get a small amount of solder on the very tip of the iron.

Step 3. Lightly and quickly for about a half a second touch each of the 4 sides of the LED alternatingly until the LED comes off with the solder.

Step 4. Using the braid, lay it on top of the spot where the LED was and put the iron on top of the braid. The braid will suck up the old solder.

Step 5. Get your new LED and set it aside. Get some solder on the tip of the iron and put it on the connection spot where the LED will go.

Step 6. Quickly, put the LED on the solder. If it was too late, repeat step 4.

Step 7. Turn on controller and see if LED lights up to test it.

**I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYONE BREAKING THEIR CONTROLLERS OR INJURING THEMSELVES OR OTHERS**

Sephiroth

Post by Sephiroth » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:46 pm

I sort of want to do this but im kinda new whats a de soldering braid. Is that like an opposite of a soldering iron? And another thing the braid does it suck up stuff. Oh and on the soldering iron when you said put solder on it. What solder?

Monopoly

Post by Monopoly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:28 pm

The iron is the hot thing that melts the solder, the metal marked solder when you buy it, and the de-soldering braid is life a wire, but it is specially maid to take the solder into it. The braid goes on top of the old solder on the connection you want to use, there is old solder from the past LED and you don't want to use that, so you then put the iron on top of the braid, and it melts the solder and the solder goes into the braid.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's the braid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcbezX8TrOU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is how you use the braid.

Good luck and post back or PM me if you have any other comments, questions, or concerns.

Sephiroth

Post by Sephiroth » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:36 pm

Alright so the desoldering braid basically sucks up the old solder so you can use new solder. But isn't there a plunger vacum that sucks it up as well. Different product.

Monopoly

Post by Monopoly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:39 pm

Right. Good luck.
Sephiroth, did it work?

Sephiroth

Post by Sephiroth » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:24 pm

Monopoly wrote:Right. Good luck.
Sephiroth, did it work?
No I already have another thread describing why. I took off the LED but Im having trouble puting another on possibly because i melted the pad.

Monopoly

Post by Monopoly » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:54 pm

You will be able to tell if you melted the controller. Just put a small amount of solder on the contacft point after it is clean and rest the led on top of it with tweezers.

avert1

Post by avert1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:19 pm

Where did you buy the LED's from?

Sephiroth

Post by Sephiroth » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:29 pm

avert1 wrote:Where did you buy the LED's from?
who?