ps3 identification

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3
ps3 identification

Post by samjc3 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:27 pm

i am going to buy a ps3, but i want to make sure the one i get is the backwards compatible ones, not the new ps3 only ones. is there a way to tell which is which?

if you have one that is backwards compatible, i will buy it from you. around 300$. :mrgreen:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Re: ps3 identification

Post by Twilight Wolf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:35 pm

To tell just by looking at it, I believe any PS3 with card readers will be backwards compatible with PS2 games.

Also, if the PS3 is all black like this:

It's a 20GB model and will be fully backwards compatible with PS2 games, but if I recall correctly, it doesn't have built-in WiFi. 20GB is also fairly small for storage, so if you want to get that model, I'd recommend putting a larger HDD in it. (And if you're going to do that, why not go all-out and put a 500 or even 750GB one in there?)

The grey "Metal Gear Solid 4" PS3 is also backwards compatible, but not quite as much as the 20 or 60GB models. (Only one of the PS2's main chips is present in it; the other is emulated.)

If you shop for one at any used game store, they should be able to tell you what specific model it is, so if in doubt, just ask.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:46 am

Here's a list that should tell you what you need to know. At this point you're probably going to have to go to eBay to find what you're looking for.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

dslitemodder

Post by dslitemodder » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:29 pm

If you want to do a cheap way I can tell you how but you will have to wait a month or so. Here's how

-Buy a broken ps3 on ebay (make sure it's not because of water damage and it has the serial sticker still on it). You can usually get a broken 60gb for about $100-150 maybe cheaper
-Call up sony (800-222-7669)
Say agent; at prompt say agent; at prompt press 1; at prompt press 1.
^ how to bypass the phone system and get a human fast
-Tell them you have a ps3 you need fixed
-They will tell you it will cost $150+tax to fix it
-Pay
-Wait for the box to arrive
-Pack and ship the box back to sony (it's prepaid)
-Wait 2-3 weeks for sony to fix it and send it back
-presto working 60gb ps3 (the best one) with 90 day warranty for under $300

That's how I did it and I got a 60gb ps3 for under $300 for cheap! Sony's customer service is also very good too and highly recommended.

ProbZer

Post by ProbZer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:25 am

I am planning to buy my ps3 this year but I am not sure to this because I am having some problems regarding money.,

Rixer 1337

Post by Rixer 1337 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:36 am

dslitemodder wrote:If you want to do a cheap way I can tell you how but you will have to wait a month or so. Here's how

-Buy a broken ps3 on ebay (make sure it's not because of water damage and it has the serial sticker still on it). You can usually get a broken 60gb for about $100-150 maybe cheaper
-Call up sony (800-222-7669)
Say agent; at prompt say agent; at prompt press 1; at prompt press 1.
^ how to bypass the phone system and get a human fast
-Tell them you have a ps3 you need fixed
-They will tell you it will cost $150+tax to fix it
-Pay
-Wait for the box to arrive
-Pack and ship the box back to sony (it's prepaid)
-Wait 2-3 weeks for sony to fix it and send it back
-presto working 60gb ps3 (the best one) with 90 day warranty for under $300

That's how I did it and I got a 60gb ps3 for under $300 for cheap! Sony's customer service is also very good too and highly recommended.
definitely going to write that down. That is a pretty good deal considering the price of a brand new ps3.
CHECK OUT MY STORE:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30397
I AM SELLING A NINTENDO DS, INTEC GAME GEAR SCREEN AND MANY OTHER ITEMS. COME CHECK IT OUT!

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_

Post by Zeturi » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:19 am

Rixer 1337 wrote: definitely going to write that down. That is a pretty good deal considering the price of a brand new ps3.
You forget, though, the ps3 is 430ish with tax, but there'll probably be another price cut soon, one way or the other. Either because sales will be so low they'll have no choice, or because of whenever the new "slim ps3" is unveiled.
Not to mention, nearly all broken ps3s that are 60s have had their guts broken into, or are stuck with the security-code dilema.
If you're so inclined (I know I'm not), buy a broken one that has been tampered with, and try to fix it. Heck, if you do, slap on an lcd and you'll have a laptop to play around with! :D
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.