Update 7/1 :Brief60 version1 !!!! ("portable xbox 360")

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

Gooche
Update 7/1 :Brief60 version1 !!!! ("portable xbox 360")

Post by Gooche » Fri May 29, 2009 1:24 pm

Current Project Time: 12 hours
Current Cost: $430

7-1-09 Update #2: Reached version 1 with a working in case setup. Just need to add finishing touches now. Had to get another case because I couldn't move the 360 power correctly :( Oh well maybe next time. On a side note I'm getting offers for this unit!!! It could help fund some projects, so that's cool. Any way more pics and another video below.

New video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml9vInbS1Gg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New Layout

Makeshift South LCD Bezel

Plexi view

DVD (right side of case)

Power (left side of case)

LCD controls

6-4-09 Update: now v1

Cause for a version update?!? I think so :)
Principal Boot Test. (Sorry for the quality it was done with an iphone...pics were too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QStUk5_J6rY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boot

Decided to hack the 360 VGA cable itself instead of connecting to an adapter between the previous VGA cable from the monitor. This shows how the cable is snaked behind the LCD.

These pics are closer to what the Layout is going to look like in the case. I still have to shorten and resolder wires to make it look more clean. (NOTE: in the middle of the bottom half you can see the mess of wires which need to be shortened). For the pics and video above I had maneuver things around to get power to the monitor and 360. I still have to desolder the 360 power port and do something about the LCD power. I guess I should do that before really going further...

The following is what it looks like at boot and in the dash...hence why I bumped the version up to .08.

NXE

The next step will be forming the plexiglass over the motherboard, dvd drive, etc. Then mounting the speakers. Then if it passes the following "Overheating" test I might be able to assign the project at a version 1.

This is my first project. And I know many people said you should start smaller, but this is what I wanted to start with.

I've read Ben's how-to's about a million times like everyone else here I'm sure. I have just tried to take that which has come before and adapt it to my skill level.

Since I can't manufacture a case like Ben does I have to make due.

Here is my attempt at a "portable" 360. I believe I am about another good 3 or so working hours from making it completely functional as a 360 in a briefcase. This is version .01.

Since I have met my first big milestone I thought I'd start to share my project. The milestone is a wired working 19" Gateway monitor in its new home. This is about 4-5 working hours in. The project was supposed to be complete last month in time for me to sit in the hospital with my wife. We had our second child. Oh well. I have even less time now.

The monitor is a Gateway HD1900 purchased at Best Buy for $140.

Here is what it is in. (Pic is from when I first bought the case...it really needs finishing when the system is complete)

Here was the initial test

This is the inverter and power board

Not a great pic (Sorry) but this is the Driver Board

The LCD out of its casing is about half an inch short on the East / West side the case and 1 to 1.5 short on the North / South sides. I will probably cover this with some plexiglass and make a border to hide the gaps. Any suggestions to a possible better solution?

The briefcase itself has the hole cut out for the DVD drive. The handle was also moved from the bottom of the case to the top of it, so it can be used to lift the LCD (which is very heavy)

I have the tall USB tower desoldered on the system side. I'm going to lay down some caps to fit a GPU heat sink on the CPU side. I'm planning on doubling them up.

There are some cooling options I am looking into, but just have not come up with a final solution yet. The one I'm pretty sure with work will cut into the top mounted space I have set up for speakers, but I guess cooling is the way more important item.

I hope to have some more pics and status up at the end of this weekend. I was just very happy to see that the LCD monitor still works after taking it apart, soldering, and extending wires.

Cost Breakdown:
$100 Xbox 360 (ebay Had RRoD)
$140 Gateway HD1900 LCD (Best Buy)
$50 360 Wireless adapter (ebay)
$25 SLV Durable Aluminum Notebook Briefcase (outletpc)
$10 ADJUSTABLE-FRICTION HINGE (mcmaster)
$25 Insignia® - Flat-Panel Portable USB Speakers (Best Buy)
$20 (3) GPU Heat sinks
$10 Wire, Solder, Ties etc. (Radio Shack)
$5 360 VGA Adapter (ebay)
$3 Audio Jack female to female coupler (Radio Shack)
$42 ANOTHER SLV Durable Aluminum Notebook Briefcase (outletpc) $25+express shipping
---
$430 Total
Last edited by Gooche on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Re: Brief60 v.01 (aka another 360 in a brief case)

Post by eurddrue » Fri May 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Woah, that thing looks amazing! :shock: Great job for a first project!
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:15 pm

yay! finally! a first post that isnt some noob question like: "i can haz protble xbox 360 for trad with ps2?" :lol:

that looks great! :)
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

collinE

Post by collinE » Sat May 30, 2009 7:07 pm

keep it up, looks great. 19" is a beast.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

Gooche

Re: Update 6/4 :Brief60 v.08 (aka another 360 in a brief case)

Post by Gooche » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:11 pm

Posted some new pics, and a youtube link of first boot :)

HoHoHo290

Post by HoHoHo290 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:30 pm

Wow! Awesome.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:00 am

eurddrue wrote:Woah, that thing looks amazing! :shock: Great job for a first project!
Great job for ANY project, really.
what is this i don't even

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:32 am

such a beautiful briefcase. That's the kind I'd always wanted to use for my project.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:19 pm

Screw shortening wires, it works. If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Great job, btw! :D
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

Gooche

Post by Gooche » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:25 pm

Thank you all for the good will. This type stuff can keep you going. Such a great community.

Basement_Modder wrote:Screw shortening wires, it works. If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Great job, btw! :D
LOL I know but it's so ugly and it would be relatively easy in the grand scheme to cut out a section and resolder to the proper lenght...have you seen that clusterf**k of wires in those pics? :) Craziness

Hifeno
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Hifeno » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:09 pm

Did you use that inverter for the monitor and 360? I'm just curious because I am thinking of doing one of these because I have an extra 360 and 19 inch flat lcd. My biggest hurdle is powering them both with one plug. Can I just mod the 360 power supply and use it for both?
That's Hacking Awsome
Visit my Website http://hifeno.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gooche

Post by Gooche » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:24 am

The inverter in the pic is the power inverter for the monitor, but you can connect the leads off of that to the 360's power brick. Ben's tut can show you how.

Ben's How-To = Bible for my project.

alentris

Post by alentris » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:56 am

Nice first mod, man 8) . Just a quick question for you, what did you use to cut that aluminum for the disc drive?

Gooche

Post by Gooche » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:17 pm

Thank you. Still need to finish though.

I used a dremel to cut the hole.

alentris

Post by alentris » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:00 pm

Gooche wrote:Thank you. Still need to finish though.

I used a dremel to cut the hole.
:shock: You cut through aluminum with a dremel???? lol that's sweet :D . Did you just use a drill attachment for the bit?

Also, as far as cooling/speakers, you could probably fit 2 good size speakers in the space in the upper left side of the case, then you could add 2 fans parallel to each other over the gpu/cpu. I'd assume you could just wire them in parallel to the original fan pins.