Watercooled Xbox 360 Laptop

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:03 am

gsmokez wrote:Just out of curiousity, is there any way to actually put in a laptop battery and make it run off that? You know that way it could actually be completely portable. Just curious and if it's not possible could someone please explain why? I'd really appreciate it.
*Disclaimer, I haven't done a big mod like this and I haven't bothered to calculate anything*

that out of the way, I believe that the XBOX360 and LCD screen take up enough power to make a battery uneconomical. Perhaps you could power it for a short time with a huge battery, but the XBOX360 wasn't exactly made to be power efficient like real laptops are.

gsmokez

Post by gsmokez » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:10 pm

Oh because I was thinking of making one if you could put a battery in it. Reason I asked is because I really want it so I would be able to play it in the car during long drives or anything like that. Hopefully we can get some more replies on the topic but I get what you're saying. The 360 does look like something that'll drain a battery real quick lol.

DK

Post by DK » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:28 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:
I wrote:I really don't like people who haven't built portables giving advice on them...
Get your hands dirty first, let the wise men give the advice. :P

SS
Quite a few here haven't built a portable and I'd be more than happy to take advice from them like Kyo and I'm sure a few of the mods haven't either. I hope people listen to advice if I ever give it to them too :lol:

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:35 pm

Get off my back, I'm working on it :P

aj23

Post by aj23 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Hey Wompa, let me know if you see a similar rad on ebay again, I still cannot find one :(

WompaStompa11
PSN Username:WompaStompa11

Post by WompaStompa11 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:36 pm

aj23 wrote:Hey Wompa, let me know if you see a similar rad on ebay again, I still cannot find one :(
I will. You might have luck asking a local car radiator shop for help.
Image Laziness is a serious disease... My Ebay Reference . . . My video game collection

aj23

Post by aj23 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:17 pm

Alright thanks, and yea I'll search for one as well. I have a question for you though, how many hours did you put on that thing, and did you find anything challenging? Just wondering for my own reference, although it will take me longer for sure since this is my first project.

WompaStompa11

Post by WompaStompa11 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:04 pm

aj23 wrote:Alright thanks, and yea I'll search for one as well. I have a question for you though, how many hours did you put on that thing, and did you find anything challenging? Just wondering for my own reference, although it will take me longer for sure since this is my first project.
It was my first project as well. I guess I put around 30-50 hours into it. The entire project was somewhat challenging. The most challenging aspect at first was desoldering. And since I didn't have a ton of soldering experience, several connections that I made broke sometime in the future. The case planning / construction was probably the most time consuming. But since Ben wrote a guide to follow, the whole project wasn't too difficult.
Image Laziness is a serious disease... My Ebay Reference . . . My video game collection

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:33 pm

gsmokez wrote:Oh because I was thinking of making one if you could put a battery in it. Reason I asked is because I really want it so I would be able to play it in the car during long drives or anything like that. Hopefully we can get some more replies on the topic but I get what you're saying. The 360 does look like something that'll drain a battery real quick lol.
If you get yourself a big power inverter then you could power it from the car. I don't know how much voltage/wattage a 360 + LCD screen would take up, though, so I don't know how big of a power inverter you'd need.

aj23

Post by aj23 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:30 pm

WompaStompa11 wrote:
aj23 wrote:Alright thanks, and yea I'll search for one as well. I have a question for you though, how many hours did you put on that thing, and did you find anything challenging? Just wondering for my own reference, although it will take me longer for sure since this is my first project.
It was my first project as well. I guess I put around 30-50 hours into it. The entire project was somewhat challenging. The most challenging aspect at first was desoldering. And since I didn't have a ton of soldering experience, several connections that I made broke sometime in the future. The case planning / construction was probably the most time consuming. But since Ben wrote a guide to follow, the whole project wasn't too difficult.
Yea I don't have any soldering experience myself, so desoldering will probably be quite a challenge for me as well at first. That time frame is perfect I'd say, a good time to have fun building it, and then hopefully I'll end up with a nice finished project!

Thanks for the help!

WompaStompa11

Post by WompaStompa11 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:08 pm

The laptop uses 121 volts, 2.5 amps, and 211 watts. Do you think it is able to run in a car with a beefy power inverter?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:15 pm

WompaStompa11 wrote:The laptop uses 121 volts, 2.5 amps, and 211 watts. Do you think it is able to run in a car with a beefy power inverter?
As long as its rated for at least 211 watts. :P I'd get a 400 watt one, won't cost too much more, and it won't get as hot since it isn't running close to its max.

grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:40 pm

This is awesome! is it really portable like a laptop, or do you have to connect it to a power source?
HEY! the conversation is up there ^

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:36 pm

grumpymonkey wrote:This is awesome! is it really portable like a laptop, or do you have to connect it to a power source?
read the posts, not the pix, yo.

(you gots to plug it in.)
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

Biased

Re: Watercooled Xbox 360 Laptop

Post by Biased » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:37 am

Is watercooling necessary for a falcon or a jasper mobo? Just wondering because if it isn't it's less work but kind of depressing since I was already planning out a completely DIY watercooling system.

Also sorry for bumping this if I'm not supposed to, I just always feel selfish making an entirely new thread for a small topic.