Watercooled Xbox 360 Laptop

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

WompaStompa11
PSN Username:WompaStompa11
Watercooled Xbox 360 Laptop

Post by WompaStompa11 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:43 pm

Here is the Xbox 360 laptop that I have been working on. It is now complete and fully working. There is no overheating at all!

The pump is in the upper left corner; the radiator lies over the CPU and GPU. There are eight fans total. I had to modify the fittings on the radiator so that they laid flat. The pump works great and it is very quiet.

The LCD and its power and driver boards. The two tact switches on the left are used for volume up / down.

The front / top of the laptop. The DVD tray is on the left, the eject switch is just to the right of it, the IR sensor is hidden behind the right side of the ventilation holes, and the sync button is on the far right.

The right side of the unit. On the bottom left is the memory card port, and on the top right is the headphone port (for some reason sound still plays on the speakers when headphones are plugged in?).

The back side. On top is the on / off switch for the screen. From left to right: power input (the molex connector on top powers the screen), 3 fans, WI-FI antennae for Xbox live / wireless system link, VGA port (to hook up to a computer monitor), 3 way switch (selects between VGA, composite, and component AV outputs), composite and component RCA jacks, and a USB / ethernet port (to hook up USB devices or to do a wired system link). I have wired the pump and the back fans to the LCD's 12V supply, so the laptop continues to cool when the laptop is turned off. The hinges are home made and they work great. They hold the screen up fine, and they provide plenty of friction.

Left side. The blue tact switch is volume down and the black switch is volume up.

The keyboard is a mini USB keyboard. The two sets of holes in the back left and right are for the two speakers. The power switch is just to the left of the keyboard.

The power supply. It is one inch thicker than stock.

Xbox Live works great

Here is the laptop hooked up to a big screen HDTV

Two videos of the Laptop in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gajTZqtaRUI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWpPC15lxVc
Image Laziness is a serious disease... My Ebay Reference . . . My video game collection

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:49 pm

Awesome! I wish I could build a 360 laptop! Great job!
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

DSFARGEG

Post by DSFARGEG » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:34 pm

Great job! I like that you reused the original power supply case.

Shouldn't this be in the News forum though, since it's finished?

aj23

Post by aj23 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:54 am

Hey, I'm still a noob here, and want to do something like this for my first project. Did you use a swiftech mcp355 pump? If not, what did you use? Also, can you expand a little on how you made the other watercooling parts (the rad, reservoir, etc).

Thanks.

x 77 x

Post by x 77 x » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:32 am

Great Job! Glad you were able to get the overheating problem fixed.

WompaStompa11

Post by WompaStompa11 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:46 pm

aj23 wrote:Hey, I'm still a noob here, and want to do something like this for my first project. Did you use a swiftech mcp355 pump? If not, what did you use? Also, can you expand a little on how you made the other watercooling parts (the rad, reservoir, etc).

Thanks.
I can't remember the make or model of the pump I used, but I know it's identical to the swiftech mcp355. It has 3/8" barbs and it runs off 12V dc. I did not use a reservoir; I just used a tee with an extra section of tubing (so it acts like a reservoir). The coolant flows from the pump -> CPU -> GPU -> radiator -> pump. I was lucky enough to find my radiator for cheap off ebay. I heated the fittings to loosen the epoxy so I could pull them out. Then I got two fittings of the correct size and shape from a local hardware store. I used jb weld to install the new fittings. I can give you more pictures of the watercooling setup if you want more clarity.
Image Laziness is a serious disease... My Ebay Reference . . . My video game collection

aj23

Post by aj23 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:29 pm

WompaStompa11 wrote:
aj23 wrote:Hey, I'm still a noob here, and want to do something like this for my first project. Did you use a swiftech mcp355 pump? If not, what did you use? Also, can you expand a little on how you made the other watercooling parts (the rad, reservoir, etc).

Thanks.
I can't remember the make or model of the pump I used, but I know it's identical to the swiftech mcp355. It has 3/8" barbs and it runs off 12V dc. I did not use a reservoir; I just used a tee with an extra section of tubing (so it acts like a reservoir). The coolant flows from the pump -> CPU -> GPU -> radiator -> pump. I was lucky enough to find my radiator for cheap off ebay. I heated the fittings to loosen the epoxy so I could pull them out. Then I got two fittings of the correct size and shape from a local hardware store. I used jb weld to install the new fittings. I can give you more pictures of the watercooling setup if you want more clarity.
Those pics would be very helpful! Also, you said you got the rad from ebay, can you link me to the same one you got please?

Thanks

May I ask what monitor you used?

WompaStompa11

Post by WompaStompa11 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:19 pm

The pump is made by Delphi, but like I said, it is almost identical to the one made by swiftech.

http://www.carhil.com.au/delphi.htm

I can't link to the radiator since ebay removes their listings after time. I know that it was hard to find, and it doesn't have any markings of any kind.

The monitor is a Westinghouse 17" LCM-17w7 widescreen
Last edited by WompaStompa11 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:03 pm

Great work!
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:24 pm

Looks Amazing! :D

I take it you used Bens online guide, no?

Just guessed because of the power brick mod and the water cooling/ board placement/ hinge design...
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

WompaStompa11

Post by WompaStompa11 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:47 pm

Basement_Modder wrote:Looks Amazing! :D

I take it you used Bens online guide, no?

Just guessed because of the power brick mod and the water cooling/ board placement/ hinge design...
Yep. You guessed it!

Isamu99

Post by Isamu99 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:07 am

WompaStompa11 wrote:
Yep. You guessed it!
Wompa how much would you be willing to sell this machine for?

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:13 am

I doubt he would want to sell it.

Oh, Nice job, that looks really awesome!

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WompaStompa11

Post by WompaStompa11 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:17 am

Isamu99 wrote:Wompa how much would you be willing to sell this machine for?
Maybe $1,500

Isamu99

Post by Isamu99 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:53 am

WompaStompa11 wrote:
Maybe $1,500
1)Does the screen have brightness and contrast controls?

2)Any surface scratches or dead pixels on the screen?

2)Which dvd rom drive does it have and is it flashed? If not, can it be taken out and flashed?

3)What part of SoCal are you in? Los Angeles?