Xbox 360 Laptop, first project

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:55 pm

Looks great! Especially for a first project.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

ghost0001

Post by ghost0001 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:20 am

two questions

first, how are you cooling it? and does it stay cool enough to run for long periods of time.

and second, how are you powering your screen? separately or together?

i'm working on mine and well, it RRoD on me last weekend. i think the heatsink isnt sitting right on the cpu. i did the llama fix(4 M5 bolts 12mm and washers.
Master says forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for a late pizza

guitarman_715

Post by guitarman_715 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:46 am

First:

The way I am cooling mine is first, if you look at my pic, I have modified the heatsink to were the heat is disipated over the three heat sinks equally being that one had to be cut. Second to cool it, I installed a blower style laptop cpu fan, which blows air out of the side and sits flat. That one fan alone does not keep it cool but for about 15 min because it is only blowing on one portion of the heatsink, so I am adding 2 addition fans that will blow across both heat sinks and this will definatley keep it cool enough. The monitor has a seperate power connection for now, and it will probably stay that way because really, how hard is it to plug in one extra power cord? Just my opinion anyways.

Second:

I fix RROD xboxs all the time. What you need to do it of course take it apart down to the mobo. Take the heat sinks off. Using a razor, scrap the old thermal paste off the heat sinks and processors. Apply new thermal paste. then put your heat sinks back on using your washers on the bottom side of the x-clamps. Put the mobo back inside the case and at least put the screws back in for the x-clamps. Plug the dvd drive and ring of light board in. Do NOT plug the fans in, cut it on and you will still get RROD, let it sit until you get 2 red lights, then wait about 2-3 minutes with the two red lights and shut it off. Let it cool for about 20 min. Plug the fans back in and cut it on, and VIOLA! You have a working xbox. Iv done it to over 10 xboxs now. Hope this helps.

ghost0001

Post by ghost0001 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:37 pm

it red ringed bc i changed the heat sink from the standard cpu heat sink to a cut down gpu heat sink. i did the llama.com fix with the bolts and washers and i think the bolts were too long. i dont think its holding the heat sink close enough. it worked fine b4 i did the swap. so i'm guessing its a gap issue. gotta rip it apart and make it tighter. my other problem is the rf board from one 360 isnt working with this one. but when i swap it for the one that came with it, it works just fine.

where did you get your hinges?

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:55 pm

How ben gets the power off of one cord is he takes the power portion of the lcd board and puts it in the power brick, and soldiers the 3 leads from the 360 wall plug onto the same leads of the screen board. He has 4 wires between the laptop and the brick, but he puts one of those flexable plastic tubes around it so it appears to be one thick cord.

Cheers,
Basement_Modder

guitarman_715

Post by guitarman_715 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:07 pm

I got my hinges from McMaster Carr, www.mcmaster.com part number 1791A44

guitarman_715

Post by guitarman_715 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:08 am

***Update****

I had a heating issue to where it would only stay on for about 12 minutes, So I installed 2 12v fans where I had my vents. It now never overheats, I played halo for the past 2 days with no problems, one time for at least 4 hours.

I have provided a picture to help some of you see how I have my system cooled, and hope maybe it will help you if you have an overheating issue.

I have the two fans in the front sucking air in, they flow over top of the heatsinks, I also have a blower style laptop fan blowing on the other half of the heatsink to the far left because the fans to not flow enough air over there. I then have the original xbox 360 fans facing downward to blow all the hot air out.

stephen0205

Post by stephen0205 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:15 pm

i think what u have done so far is just awsome, i cant wait till i think im ready for a project like this

ghost0001

Post by ghost0001 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:34 pm

well i guess if thats good enough cooling then my cooling will be good enough. thanks for the info, i'm going to use this for mine too, only i have three nyko intercooler fans in the back and the xbox 360 original fan sucking air in the top. thanks again...

DemoSquid93

Post by DemoSquid93 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:42 pm

Did you think of making the hard drive removable, or didn't you want it like that? Cause i quite like that idea :D
Halo 3 Ftw.

guitarman_715

Post by guitarman_715 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:56 pm

Yea I have been thinking about it, but I currently don't have a hard drive to put in it, im waiting on my 120gb elite hard drive to come in and depending upon space, it will be removable if space permits, if not, then oh well.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:51 pm

:lol: at the keyboard key

stephen0205

Post by stephen0205 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:38 am

why would u need the hard drive to be portable, when it is portable