Wii Classic Controller to USB

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

chad78
Wii Classic Controller to USB

Post by chad78 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi,

I'm still pretty new here, so please forgive me if I put this is the wrong place (Forum 42, maybe?). Mods, please feel free to move this where ever it needs to go.

I tried searching but I either got way too many results or none at all, so - one more apology if there is already a topic that covers this.

Is it possible to mod a Wii Classic Controller to work as a USB gamepad for a desktop or laptop computer? Has anyone here tried it? Does anyone know of a successful attempt?

I'm basically thinking something like the RetroZone controllers - http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?categoryID=79

I just really love the Classic Controller. In fact, I'd also like to be able to use it for GameCube Games.

I've never hacked anything myself. I'm kind of ashamed to say that even my modded Xbox and homebrew running PSP were done by other people. So this might seem simple to those of you building portable 360s. But to me, the way consoles work is magic, sunshine, and mushrooms. :)

Any thoughts?

Valium

Post by Valium » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:43 pm

With a bluetooth adapter on your PC, you can use the wiimote on your PC. You just need GlovePIE, and updated bluetooth drivers. I'd imagine it supports the classic controllers too. Not sure though, Google isn't giving me much to work with.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:34 pm

Valium wrote:With a bluetooth adapter on your PC, you can use the wiimote on your PC. You just need GlovePIE, and updated bluetooth drivers. I'd imagine it supports the classic controllers too. Not sure though, Google isn't giving me much to work with.
GlovePIE supports pretty much all wii peripherals. I think it even supports the balance-board.

Valium

Post by Valium » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:35 pm

grossaffe wrote:
Valium wrote:With a bluetooth adapter on your PC, you can use the wiimote on your PC. You just need GlovePIE, and updated bluetooth drivers. I'd imagine it supports the classic controllers too. Not sure though, Google isn't giving me much to work with.
GlovePIE supports pretty much all wii peripherals. I think it even supports the balance-board.
Perfect then!

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:04 pm

I know someone who uses a wii classic to play SNES games. It rocks. :)

But you still need to have it attached to the wiimote... How much room is there in a classic controller? If all the buttons were cut out, I wonder if you could get a wiimote broken for cheap, the wire it into a classic controller... Hmmmm....

Excellent

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:31 pm

Or, why not just get one of those PC controllers that are shaped like DualShock IIs? It's the same button layout.

Or why not get the whole SNES experience with a SNES to USB adapter?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Because the classic has a WAY better dpad, and a different feel.

And the SNES controller does not have an analog stick. ;)

Excellent

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:46 pm

palmertech wrote:Because the classic has a WAY better dpad, and a different feel.
You do realize I was referring to a broad range of USB game controllers, and not just the DualShock, right? ;)

chad78

Post by chad78 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:45 pm

I've got other USB game pads - so that's not an issue. And, as Palmertech pointed out, the Classic has many advantages over a SNES pad. I knew the Wii Remote would work via BlueTooth - but I didn't know the Classic would work with that. I would kind of still like the Classic to work without BlueTooth - and without the Wiimote. But you've given me some ideas. Thanks!

Valium

Post by Valium » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:10 pm

I'd have a solution for you if the classic controller used the Gamecube controller ports, since there are Gamecube to usb adapters available, as well as a few tutorials I believe. But since it doesn't, that's probably the best option available.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:12 pm

The classic controller uses a fairly simple protocol over an i2c bus. If you know microcontroller programming, it wouldn't be too hard to program a classic to USB HID adapter.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:16 pm

bicostp wrote:
palmertech wrote:Because the classic has a WAY better dpad, and a different feel.
You do realize I was referring to a broad range of USB game controllers, and not just the DualShock, right? ;)
I think he was referring to the SNES pad.

chad78

Post by chad78 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:28 pm

I don't know microcontroller programming. So I guess that idea is out.

Does anyone know of an existing USB gamepad that is similar to the Classic Controller? (Or the RetroCon for that matter.)

I have a Saitek P2500 Rumble - so I don't just need something with dual analogs and enough face buttons. I'm looking for something that is similar to an SNES controller with dual-analogs.

I also have GameMon mini-gamepad (model #FT2E92) - so I don't just need something small and/or SNES shaped.

Something with the best of both. And I've tried google - but it's not easy to explain "I want it to look like this but have this" to Google.

Any ideas?

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:01 pm

You could use a PS2 to PC adapter with the RetroCon.

Kitsune_Baka

Re: Wii Classic Controller to USB

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:13 am

If someone could actually make a 2 player Wii Classic to HID box, that'd rock.
I'm thinking either a box unit with two 4 ft cables (cuz the wii-mote cords by
themselves are just too effing short) coming out the front with female Wii-mote
ports on the ends of each wire, either that or just a cable with a USB on one end,
and female wii-mote port on the other end. Kinda like those Xbox to USB cables.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r243 ... verter.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Kitsune_Baka on Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.