3PS60 Controller, Wired 360 controller in PS3 shell

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

david87
PSN Username:FhirsT
Re: 3PS60 Controller, Wired 360 controller in PS3 shell

Post by david87 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:34 am

hey man i know u said u won't be making anymore of these but if u can maybe make an exception I'm willing to pay whatever u charge of 1. i really need this if u can it would be great. email me david.barga@yahoo.com

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Very cool RDC. I will probably make one of these myself after the slot loader.
I still have to finish my PlayStation 1 Slot Loader off by the way :roll:

ssmith43654
360 GamerTag:ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:21 am

Awesome - PS3 controllers are so much better than 360 ones, especially the joysticks!

Good work!
Never Give up; until you succeed...

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

Massop

Post by Massop » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:28 am

Seems I cant make a new account just to send a PM.

I wanted to know RDC if you have any of your works for sale. pm me if you watch this forum.

Thanks

MyStillRemains
PSN Username:MyStillRemains
360 GamerTag:ixSTiLLxREMAiN
Steam ID:MyStillRemains

Post by MyStillRemains » Tue May 01, 2012 2:46 pm

If/when you get the wireless version of this done, do you think you could possibly post a tutorial on how to do this, like with the ps360 controller? I'm surprised no 3rd-party controller company has done this yet. Thanks for the awesome idea!

RDC

Post by RDC » Tue May 01, 2012 9:25 pm

I never made a tutorial on the PS360 controller, are you sure you're not thinking of Ben Heckendorn?

The PS360 controller that I build gets done a bit differently than the BH one also. - http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=651946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Wireless version of this controller will most likely never be done unless I hit the lotto or people want to kick in on the thing big time, and of the last 5 or so people that have wanted a 3PS60 made up, no one has been interested in that idea, so it's an extremely niche market. Afterwards, a tutorial will still never likely be made because of the work involved.

First a schematic has to be done of the 'whatever version' Wireless 360 controller to be used. - I've done this with the CG2 already.

Then a 'blank' board in the shape of the PS3 controller's board needs to be made up, but traced out using the 360 schematic. - I have some of this done already, but since the PS3 boards keep changing it's probably going to have to be done in a few different versions, or one pain in the rear one that will work in place of a few.

After that, a few prototypes will need to be made and ran off to check all of the mechanics of it. Then all of the parts from a CG2 (or whatever version) can be swapped over to it for testing that all out.

Finally, the headset connector and more importantly the battery pack, has to have something done with it. Either new bottom halves of the shell made up, or look into some internal battery pack idea like the PS3 controllers are. Also, the PnC cable needs to be dealt with to charge the PnC or internal pack.

Even if all of this were done, an actual tutorial for making a wireless one would consist of you getting the blank PS3 board, taking your CG2 controller (or whatever version(s) that were done) and swapping all of the parts over from it to the PS3 board, as well as some other odds and ends depending on how it all actually went.

All in all it's still an idea I'd like to complete one day, since I've already invested a good bit if time into it, but it's not going to happen any time soon.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome

MyStillRemains
PSN Username:MyStillRemains
360 GamerTag:ixSTiLLxREMAiN
Steam ID:MyStillRemains

Post by MyStillRemains » Thu May 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Yes, the one by Mr. Heckendorn, sorry for the confusion. It's too bad that it is close to impossible to make a complete wireless version of this. I guess I'm one of the few people that greatly prefer the PS3 controller over the Xbox one. Anyways, I wish you good luck on this future project and any others you have been working on. :)

RDC

Post by RDC » Thu May 03, 2012 8:46 pm

No problem at all, and Thanks.

It's not really next to impossible, just really, really time consuming and kind of expensive is all. I've already put a pretty good deal of time into it, so it's going to happen for sure one way or another at some point.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

thenexxuz
PSN Username:TheNexxuz
360 GamerTag:TheNexxuz

Post by thenexxuz » Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 am

My boss stated that if I could find a commercial PS3 styled Xbox controller, then he would buy 3 of them just to shut me and two of my co-workers up when we all play Xbox in the office. I would really like to be able to locate SOMETHING for sale.

RDC

Post by RDC » Mon May 14, 2012 9:21 pm

@ thenexxuz - You can try the XCM Cross Fire 2.0 adapter, that will let you use PS3 controllers on the 360, though some people don't care for that type of thing because of the lag, just depends on how picky you are and what kinds of games you play if it's an issue.

Right now I'm working on making a smaller 360miniCL version of the Wired 360 CL board to transfer the core parts over to. Not specifically for this, but it could be used for making up a 3PS60 if one desired. The CL controller for this right now is cut down to roughly 36 x 56mm the way I've made these in the past, but that's far too much work and more of a pain than it needs to be. Granted some might think that swapping over most of the parts from the CL board to another board is more work, but it's one of those things that pays off in the long run.

I have the 360miniCL board designed right now at 20 x 42mm, which is small enough to put it just about any controller you'd want. It was thought up mainly for installing in an older style PS1 controller, the SCPH-1180, but it could be used for whatever really. It also has TP spots for all of the button and Analog lines, which although are still right small, are easier to solder to than the traces and vias of the larger cut down board. It also requires no rebuilding of traces or the one Rumble motor circuit.

These are renders of the 360miniCL PCB...

BOTTOM

RDC

Post by RDC » Fri May 18, 2012 11:40 pm

Here is the prototype of the 360miniCL board after it was made up.

BOTTOM

Then with most of the components installed..

BOTTOM

Here is the 360miniCL cut down to size and compared to..

The original sized CL board

The 3PS60 sized cut board

A quarter

It's still a prototype, and I'll be making a new revision if I ever decide to use it for anything to resolve some minor issues. Right now I have the buttons and Analog lines tested out and they're all good. Just have the Rumble, LEDs and Headset left to test out and see how they do.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:00 am

Nice work RDC!

RDC

Post by RDC » Sun May 27, 2012 4:47 am

Thanks.

I've tested everything out now and it all works like it should.

The newer version of the PCB has also been finished and sent off to be made up, and when it shows up I'll retest again and post results. It just has some minor changes is all. The top board is the new revision, while the bottom half is a mini DualShock 2..

BOTTOM

If anyone is interested in making one of these up PM me, I have a few of the older version boards (same version PCB I made and tested out) that are just going to sit around here doing nothing or end up in the bin at some point. It's not an easy swap to do, and a hot air rework setup is required as is being able to work with 0402 sized components, but if anyone would like to have a go at swapping over all the parts to one let me know.

Last edited by RDC on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Wed May 30, 2012 10:32 am

Nice work RDC. I'm frightened to watch the countdown before these appear at various Chinese knock off sites.

How much did it cost to get the board put together?

Can it be made easier by having some of the smaller components done by the place that prints the boards? I realize that some of the components (currently) must come from a 360 controller itself, but resistors etc?

It might be worth the extra few $$$ to have them mounted at the time of construction rather than have to DIY...

I really like the board design. Smart and effective, making it super easy to place the 360 controller into pretty much any shell in the future. The next question though is why you didn't have a 2nd board with the PS3 connector head that leads to a bunch of easy to solder pads... I realize that the PS3 controller goes through rev after rev, but the ribbon header itself doesn't seem to change that much (I aknowledge I could totally be completely incorrect on this assumption)

work of art RDC. How much does it cost to make these boards up?

RDC

Post by RDC » Wed May 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks.

For a blank PCB this small, you can get 20 made up at Seeedstudio for around $40, depending on the shipping method you choose. The smallest board they offer is 5 x 5cm and you get 10 of them, and 2 of these can fit per board at that size. As far as the time it takes to design and such, I did the entire thing in a few days in DipTrace really from tracing out the CL board, making the schematic and figuring out how I wanted it setup on the board and then doing that work. The Wired CL controller is fairly simple, by comparison to the other versions anyway, and it was a good solid few days of work too, not a couple hours here or there.

As far as making it 'easier' goes. If you had all of the smaller common parts pre-installed, then went to install the 56 pin QFN IC there you'd probably loose a few of the smaller ones in the process, and if you can solder a 56 pin QFN with no issues, then you can solder up the rest of the parts with no problems at all. You'd also have to know the value of every component, and while checking Resistors is no big deal with a DMM, you really need a Capacitor and then Inductor tester to get the values from those parts (which I don't have) whereas they're already the correct value and right there on the CL board to be removed and swapped over to the miniCL.

Not sure which PS3 Daughter board connector version you're considering? There are only 2 that I know of, but each one has it's issues, depending on what you're trying to do with it also. http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=648322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The older style plugged into a connector, and making up a 'go between' board for it would be kind of pointless since those older version controllers already have TP spots on the main board for everything. These are the ones used to make the 3PS60 controller in this thread as they use the older 10k POT style Sticks. Even though it has TP spots, the Daughter board itself still has to be altered for most things as it's button contacts are Resistive for the Analog functions of the PS3 controller, so they don't work as Digital until that trace is severed.

Now on the later version PS3 controllers, the Daughter board connects a different way and a 'go between' board could be pretty useful, but, those version controllers also use the newer Hall Sensor Sticks, which can't be used with anything but the PS3 controller without doing some more work, so it would only be one step in that process.

The latest version PS3 controller board, the Asuka, has gone back to using the 10K POT style Sticks, so a 'go between' board for that version could be useful if making a 3PS60 controller, though making it a PCB would be pointless as it would be too thick to put in there, unless it was made up as a flex board, and those don't really like to be soldered on after the fact.

I kinda see where you're going with that idea, and it's a good one, but if you were going to make it a PCB then it may as well just be a 'blank' PS3 controller PCB, like I did with the 36X board. http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=51111" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; But even that would be pretty futile since some of the different revision boards aren't swappable between shells, so you'd have to make it specific to some version or another, and then the only Sticks that fit in them are the ones made for the PS3 controllers. Those things just weren't made to be hacked on easily.

It only costs me the price of the PCB, a CL controller and then my time to swap all of the parts over.