3PS60 Controller, Wired 360 controller in PS3 shell

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

BlackLantern
PSN Username:auskye
360 GamerTag:Auroro Skye
Re: 3PS60 Controller, Wired 360 controller in PS3 shell

Post by BlackLantern » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Yeah I found that the XCM 2 was capable of that after posting that. And separate buttons for the L3R3 makes more sense. Now I just need to see how much it'd cost to get someone to make such a PS3 controller mod.....

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:18 pm

i wonder how hard it would be to get a lead on all the values of the various components. It might cost a little more in the short term, but I'm guessing that in the long run having a "drop in" replacement for the PS3 board woulld be the end game here.

RDC

Post by RDC » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Get yourself a Capacitor and Inductor tester, plus a DMM for the Resistors and you can get the value of just about every support component on the board, the rest can be looked up from their part numbers, but for the people that can desolder and rework the necessary components from the controller board that can't be sourced, the support components are no real issue at all to deal with.

When you have to have the MCU and Security chip from the original controller board there's no point in having the rest of the components be sourced elsewhere, they're already right there on the original PCB for you to use where the MCU and SIC are, plus they're already the correct values and if you can't desolder them to use then installing brand new ones isn't going to be any easier.

No matter which way you go there though, all parts from the original board, or just the necessary ones, it's not something everyone would be able to do. Transplanting most of the support parts could be done with an iron and a little practice, whereas the necessary components really need a hot air setup and someone that's done that type of rework before to swap them over.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome

RDC

Post by RDC » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Basement_Modder wrote:You should make one for wireless controllers as well. It would have to be a tad larger, I presume, but it could probably still fit in a 3PS60, just with 100% more awesome. Perhaps it could be powered off a DS3 battery?
Haven't exactly made it yet, but it's just about ready to be. It couldn't be powered off the PS3 battery without making up some way to charge it first, plus finding a few more mm of room in the PS3 shell with this board, it's board, the battery and a charger. It would still also be a bit of a wiring nightmare to stuff this into a PS3 shell, but it would be wireless when it's all done.

The 360miniCG2 will be roughly 35.5mm x 57.5mm x 5mm, pretty much the same dimensions as the PS3 controller's battery pack (the larger grey colored ones).

BOTTOM

Soon as I can get around to having a few run off and show up for parts swapping and testing I'll post back with those results. I imagine it'll be about the same as with the miniCL, something will need tweaking, changed or was just overlooked.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:43 pm

RDC, you so crazy

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:14 pm

That is a sexy color scheme for a circuit board. Please make the real ones look like that.

RDC

Post by RDC » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:44 pm

The 36X boards I had made were done in that scheme, White board, Black silk and ENIG finish, so it's just what I had DipTrace setup in for the 3D render is all.

Every other color looks better after seeing green all the time, but since it's cheaper to have made that way that's why most boards are that color. Even green it's still not bad looking, and since it'll do the same thing no matter what color it is, it's more of a personal preference, but if you have the $$$ to blow on it it can be done. Nothing is set on this one, and the first few I have made for testing will most likely be green.

Sivraj

Post by Sivraj » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:33 pm

This is amazing!

RDC

Post by RDC » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Sent off the design for the miniCG2, so should have some boards for part swapping and testing in a few weeks.

After all of the issues have been resolved with the miniCG2, then I can start in on the actual 3PS60 wireless board work, and the torrent of the problems that will come with making that thing up.

Texsdante
PSN Username:Texasgamer05
360 GamerTag:RedDotOnUrMind
Steam ID:RedDotOnUrMind

Post by Texsdante » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:28 pm

RDC, Would you ever think about selling one of those controllers? Because I would definitely buy one if the price is right.

RDC

Post by RDC » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:42 pm

One of which controllers? because there are really 4 things going on here controller related in this thread now.

3PS60 - Wired 360 controller in the PS3 shell
miniCL - Wired 360 controller board made smaller
miniCG2 - Wireless CG3 board made smaller
3PS60 (Wireless version) - Just starting that long road

Waterloo
PSN Username:Waterloo9
360 GamerTag:Waterloo9

Post by Waterloo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:48 am

I didn't read the whole thread but did you ever get it so that it has the xbox mic? If so i would buy a wired one of these, i have been playing xbox and i am getting better with the controller but i still prefer the ps3 controller i have looked everywhere and haven't seen these anywhere else really. I thought about doing it myself but depending on the price i would probably rather buy it.

RDC

Post by RDC » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:41 am

Waterloo wrote:I didn't read the whole thread but did you ever get it so that it has the xbox mic? If so i would buy a wired one of these, i have been playing xbox and i am getting better with the controller but i still prefer the ps3 controller i have looked everywhere and haven't seen these anywhere else really. I thought about doing it myself but depending on the price i would probably rather buy it.
You should have given it a read thru, because yes I have installed the Headset port, though not the 4 pins for power/data that say the Chatpad uses, as the PS3 controller is not shaped for that type of controller peripheral to fit, so only the 2.5mm Headset port was installed, which is all that's really needed. I've also been able too keep the L2/R2 Analog, but, I'm also not building these anymore either as they're far too much work and the cost is something most people have a herd of cows over.

I still haven't made one up using the miniCL board and an Asuka version PS3 controller, which would be a bit easier to do, though it's still not an easy (thus not cheap) controller to make at all.

Waterloo
PSN Username:Waterloo9
360 GamerTag:Waterloo9

Post by Waterloo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:40 am

Do you have any left? I don't know if you keep this stuff or anything but i really want one of these controllers. I can't stand how much i die on xbox just because i am not as good with the controller as i am with a ps3 one. BTW, there is a huge market for this i know a ton of competitive PS3 players that would buy these to play on xbox. There are tons of websites that do custom controllers and i am sure you could do all of the stuff they do and more obviously since you know so much about this. If not thanks for your time, and i will have to read through this post and see if i can do this myself.

RDC

Post by RDC » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:55 am

I don't keep any controller sitting around made up, especially not this one. I prefer doing custom builds versus a 'cookie cutter' kind of controller also, that way I don't get burnt out doing the same boring thing over and over, and you get a controller more setup how you're wanting.