How long do you suppose the 360/PS3 would last on these?

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame
How long do you suppose the 360/PS3 would last on these?

Post by Electric Rain » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:20 pm

Nobody has yet been crazy enough to attempt powering a 360 or a PS3 off of batteries, and I'm not either... but out of curiosity, how long do guys suppose a few of these would last based on this chart? There's a good deal calculation that goes into figuring that out, but based on mine, it looks like it might actually last a few hours! :) Of course, you'll be paying $1,000 in batteries, but it could still be small enough for an oversized laptop...

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:46 pm

Four of the batteries in series would be 14.8v 50Ah, or 740Wh. The 360 and PS3 both use about 200W during play. That would give you around 3.5 hours of playing time. After you account for the screen and conversion inefficiencies, you still get at least 2 hours, maybe up to 3.

And the cells aren't that small, they're almost a square foot each.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:06 pm

I know they're not small, but considering the size of the 360/PS3 laptops that have been made, they seem about the right size, proportionally. :lol:

It looks like it might actually be a possibility if one of the portablizers here is willing to shell out the cash. 8)

Killer_Rabbit

Post by Killer_Rabbit » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:23 pm

I think that price tag would just be way out of the reach of most of the portablizers here. But maybe a rich gamer will commission Ben to build one using these batteries. That would be awesome. But it would probably have to be about four or five inches thick (not counting the lcd screen on the top half)--those batteries are 1.5 cm thick. Four of them would be just over 2 inches thick. I think the thinnest Xbox 360 laptop built has been about two inches thick, so. . .yeah.

Valium

Post by Valium » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:03 pm

Enough power to run a Ps2 and a screen for almost 30 hours. Current gen sure does like to suck electricity..

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:13 pm

Valium wrote:Enough power to run a Ps2 and a screen for almost 30 hours. Current gen sure does like to suck electricity..
Not the Wii! You could run it for about 42 hours on that battery.

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:32 pm

I don't think that we (or anyone) will be able to run a current gen console (not wii) on batteries until that new nanotech li-ion battery becomes commercially available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanobatteries

A battery like this might actually be better in terms of weight and price (about 2kg lighter and $200 cheaper)

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 am

Chapel wrote:I don't think that we (or anyone) will be able to run a current gen console (not wii) on batteries until that new nanotech li-ion battery becomes commercially available.

A battery like this might actually be better in terms of weight and price (about 2kg lighter and $200 cheaper)
are those the paper-thin ones? I remember reading about batteries that were thin and flexible over a year ago.

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:55 am

grossaffe wrote:
Chapel wrote:I don't think that we (or anyone) will be able to run a current gen console (not wii) on batteries until that new nanotech li-ion battery becomes commercially available.

are those the paper-thin ones? I remember reading about batteries that were thin and flexible over a year ago.
They essentially shrink the cell down to microscopic levels, according to wikipedia there is a 'nanotube ink' which lets them print batteries onto a piece of paper. According to an article I read a few months ago (maybe on engadget?) the energy storage per cubic unit is roughly 10x with these nanobatteries in comparison to the standard Li-ions.

So a battery like the original one shown in nano form could run a Wii for 400 hours. I'm not even sure that there is 400 hours worth of material for the Wii. :lol:

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:18 am

Chapel wrote:So a battery like the original one shown in nano form could run a Wii for 400 hours. I'm not even sure that there is 400 hours worth of material for the Wii. :lol:
:lol:

Anyone know when these things would hit the market?

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:58 am

Skyone wrote:
Chapel wrote:So a battery like the original one shown in nano form could run a Wii for 400 hours. I'm not even sure that there is 400 hours worth of material for the Wii. :lol:
:lol:

Anyone know when these things would hit the market?
After some looking I have found that similar batteries from a company called A123 (after a bunch of research at MIT) are already in some Black and Decker tools. For example: This one

Source

One last edit

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:24 am

Wii likes batteries, I'll tell ya that much.

I'd just want to see someone run a 360 off a battery. Maybe you could recycle the heat for power? Nah, but if that were possible, then the ps3 could power itself! :P

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:51 am

ShockSlayer wrote:I'd just want to see someone run a 360 off a battery. Maybe you could recycle the heat for power? Nah, but if that were possible, then the ps3 could power itself! :P
If I had a 360 or PS3, I'd hook it up to our 400W inverter and that to a car battery, just to prove it could be done. Could probably run for about an hour, maybe more if you don't care about the battery's health.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:21 am

ShockSlayer wrote:Wii likes batteries, I'll tell ya that much.

I'd just want to see someone run a 360 off a battery. Maybe you could recycle the heat for power? Nah, but if that were possible, then the ps3 could power itself! :P

SS
Perpetual Motion = Impossible. :wink:

This thread gained some slight popularity overnight... interesting. :shock:

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:48 pm

Electric Rain wrote:
ShockSlayer wrote:Wii likes batteries, I'll tell ya that much.

SS
Perpetual Motion = Impossible. :wink:
damn that pesky third law of thermodynamics!