Wii Battery Power

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

Valium

Post by Valium » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:12 pm

Jongamer wrote:
grossaffe wrote:
ShockSlayer wrote:I reccomend Li-ions. Once you own and use a pair you will NEVER go back.

I've battery powered a wii, in all different ways. Li-ion is the best.

SS
what is the lifetime of Li-Ions compared to NiMH?
I Heard 5 Years and like 500 charges and depletions before you start seeing significant battery charge loss.

Plus isn't it true the Li-ions have less memory issues the NiMH?
Both Li-ions and NiMh batteries are devoid of the memory effect that plagued most rechargeable battery types.

Another bonus to using Li-ions is that they only lose about 2-3% of their charge per month, while any of the nickel based batteries lose 0.5-1% per day, NiMh being the worse choice in that case, as NiCd have a lower self discharge rate than NiMh. When stored at room temperature.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:43 pm

Jongamer wrote:
grossaffe wrote:
ShockSlayer wrote:I reccomend Li-ions. Once you own and use a pair you will NEVER go back.

SS
I Heard 5 Years and like 500 charges and depletions before you start seeing significant battery charge loss.

So Li-Ion is far superior to NiMH except for that whole exploding thing?

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:40 pm

They make NiMh batteries that do not self discharge at all really, something like 15% per year. They hold less though. I picked some 2000mAh AAs recently.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Valium

Post by Valium » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:03 am

grossaffe wrote:
Jongamer wrote:
grossaffe wrote:

SS

Li-ion's are far better than NiMh, except when durability is a factor. NiMh can withstand more force, higher temperatures, and are less likely to break down in normal conditions. Plus the fact that if they do break down, they'll just start leaking acid, as opposed to blowing off a finger with Li-ions.

Li-ions are still fairly durable though, and with proper care, they won't explode.

Portable Newbie

Post by Portable Newbie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:23 am

Valium wrote:
grossaffe wrote:
Jongamer wrote:
grossaffe wrote:

SS

Li-ion's are far better than NiMh, except when durability is a factor. NiMh can withstand more force, higher temperatures, and are less likely to break down in normal conditions. Plus the fact that if they do break down, they'll just start leaking acid, as opposed to blowing off a finger with Li-ions.

Li-ions are still fairly durable though, and with proper care, they won't explode.
im sorry to dissappoint and break the curve. but i have found that NiMH are the better choice, especially now adays, because of the introduction of the NiMH never lost cells. so they dont lose their charge overtime. and get the same amount of charges that any Li-Ions get.

best part is, u can get great results with the AAs because they are available with 2600ma each. i use 12 AAs to power my GCp. and i used around 24 with my wii and can get about 3 hours of play for both.

hope that helps! =)

Valium

Post by Valium » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:20 am

Portable Newbie wrote:
Valium wrote:
grossaffe wrote:
Jongamer wrote:
grossaffe wrote:

SS

im sorry to dissappoint and break the curve. but i have found that NiMH are the better choice, especially now adays, because of the introduction of the NiMH never lost cells. so they dont lose their charge overtime. and get the same amount of charges that any Li-Ions get.

best part is, u can get great results with the AAs because they are available with 2600ma each. i use 12 AAs to power my GCp. and i used around 24 with my wii and can get about 3 hours of play for both.

hope that helps! =)
Have you tried Li-ions?

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:25 am

so what exactly are considered harsh conditions for Li-Ions?

edit: and what about Li-poly. are they much different from Li-Ion?

Portable Newbie

Post by Portable Newbie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:39 pm

Valium wrote:
Portable Newbie wrote:
Valium wrote:
grossaffe wrote:
Jongamer wrote:
grossaffe wrote:

SS

hope that helps! =)
Have you tried Li-ions?
yes i have. and lets say 2 or 3 years ago. i would totally agree with you. but i still played it safe. i dont like explosions haha. but i did used to use Li-ons. but when i heard about the new Ni-MH cells. i just couldnt get away

Valium

Post by Valium » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:03 pm

grossaffe wrote:so what exactly are considered harsh conditions for Li-Ions?

edit: and what about Li-poly. are they much different from Li-Ion?
Li-poly is short for Lithium-ion Polymer, they're pretty much the same thing.

Harsh conditions would be.. Well I can't say exactly. But an example would be high heat digital thermometers.

Killer_Rabbit

Post by Killer_Rabbit » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:58 pm

Note that you never really see Li-ions used in power drills/screwdrivers or other such heavy-duty battery-powered tools. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that the heat produced by the friction of the bit through something combined with the vibration caused by the motor would do bad things to Li-ion batteries.

Unless you're planning on tunneling through sheetrock with your portable Wii, however, you're probably fine.

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:26 pm

Killer_Rabbit wrote:
Note that you never really see Li-ions used in power drills/screwdrivers or other such heavy-duty battery-powered tools. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that the heat produced by the friction of the bit through something combined with the vibration caused by the motor would do bad things to Li-ion batteries.

Unless you're planning on tunneling through sheetrock with your portable Wii, however, you're probably fine.
That is false, as I saw a commercial not to long ago advertising a Craftsman Power Drill with a Li-ion battery pack thank connected to the bottom of the Drill.

Just google "Power tools Li-ion" and you will get shi*loads of powertools that run on Li-ion batteries, I say if they are durable enough for power tools, I think they are durable enough for a portable gamesystem.

Valium

Post by Valium » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:35 pm

NiMh being more durable is only in extreme conditions. Nothing we'll encounter with our portables.

I prefer NiMh over Li-ions for the sheer ease of use. Nothing I've made has ever needed the compact-ness of Li-ions, or any other benefits of Li-ions, so NiMh are my favorite.

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:38 pm

What about weight comparison between NiMH and Li-ion?

Valium

Post by Valium » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:50 pm

Li-ions are light compared to NiMh, but of course, none of these batteries are heavy enough that they're hard to keep up for lengths of time. The difference is a lot with straight comparison, but in real usage, the difference is negligible.