NES D-pad in a 360 controller

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:28 am

Right, I missed your post. It seems fairly glued in place anyway.

Jakq

Post by Jakq » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:07 pm

I never understand the post office. They deliver my mail at 3 pm, leave me a note saying come pick up my package cause they missed me, I call them, the window closes at 1.

Jakq

Post by Jakq » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:50 am

Wow. Lets just say this dpad mod is the greatest thing to happen to my xbox. I can actually play games with the dpad!

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:16 am

Thats awesome totally doing it!

What size dremel did you use for the NES cut-out? is there a lip to keep the cutout in place or just hotglue?

RDC

Post by RDC » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:05 am

Diminuendo wrote:Thats awesome totally doing it!

What size dremel did you use for the NES cut-out? is there a lip to keep the cutout in place or just hotglue?
It was all done with a couple different bits, cutoff wheel to hack the NES controller and board up and then just different cutting bits to make the thing round and open up the 360 shell. I open up the 360 shell and then cut the D-pad section to fit, just done by eye is all.

Once ya get it all lined up, just have to eyeball that too, use a couple drops of super glue to hold the part of the NES shell in place, then some Plastic Welder epoxy to secure it. The Hot Glue is just keeping the board from twisting so the contacts stay lined up under the D-pad. If I did it again I'd key it to use the spots the original 360 D-pad uses, the grooves at the top and right.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome

grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:13 pm

instead of painting that part white, paint the whole controller to match the NES, and maybe replace a few more buttons :D

that would be awesome...
HEY! the conversation is up there ^

Diminuendo

Re: NES D-pad in a 360 controller

Post by Diminuendo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:16 am

Out of random interest RDC, are you and http://www.rdcarneiro.deviantart.com/ one in the same?

RDC

Post by RDC » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:58 am

Diminuendo wrote:Out of random interest RDC, are you and http://www.rdcarneiro.deviantart.com/ one in the same?
Nope.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:01 pm

Ok, I'll need someone to do this bit for me but which points did you solder to the board? the actual D-pad contacts or another point?

RDC

Post by RDC » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:04 am

I used the Vias for the D-pad connections, though DR (D-pad Right) has a TP spot that can be used, TP9, and it's the only one that does. Ya need to make sure ya have the CG version of Wireless controller (or CL if you're doing a Wired one) as neither of the Matrix controllers can be used because of they're different layout, 7 wires for the D-pad connections instead of the common connection 5 the NES D-pad uses. You could hack up the NES D-pads traces and make it work though if need be, just much easier with a CG/CL version board since they're already Common Ground/Line boards and work the same way.

You can use whatever spots along the D-pad traces ya like, even the legs of the IC if ya can solder that well, but the ones at the D-pad aren't really useful since ya need that area to be pretty flat for the spacer and having it press down on that wiring is just sooner or later asking for something to fail.
Last edited by RDC on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

P-Dude

Post by P-Dude » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:32 am

Hello! I'm new to these boards and somewhat new to modding. I've taken my 360 controller apart, and noticed the dpad isn't soldered to anything, why is it necessary for you to solder with a NES dpad in it's place? Just curious because I'd LOVE to do this, as I've been looking for a good fix to the crappy dpad for a while now.

EDIT: Also, what did you use to make the space around the dpad? I'd like to take this controller's dpad and put it on my 360.

RDC

Post by RDC » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:12 am

If you replace the D-pad with another one you'll be soldering, there's no way to get another one attached to D-pad contacts on the board and if it just fit in there then it would still have the same issues as the old one. It's more work than just taking it apart and swapping them out. There is no 'space' around the D-pad, that's part of the original NES controllers shell.

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:38 am

Ok, I've got the dpad grove in, the nes i got off ebay was such bad quality especally the rubber dome cluster on the dpad, the connecters are literally falling off. I found in a broken GC controller a rubber dome cluster for the dpad with the EXACT same spacing so im going to use that, makes the button presses so chrisp and springy. not one person in the two hardware stores in town knew what bondo was, is there another name for it? I'm taking pics as I go and I'll upload them if everyone wants, but I don't know if that would be hijacking the thread. i'm off to sleep, I'll try to find some bondo tomorrow.

I have one goal for this, make it for less than it would cost for a new controller (about $80AU) $25 for the 360 controller, $15 for the NES controller and $15 for the holes drilled for me, (I haven't got the tools)

$25 left...

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:58 pm

$15 for a NES controller??? I haven't searched for them or anything, but that seems a bit outrageous.

RDC

Post by RDC » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Diminuendo wrote:Ok, I've got the dpad grove in, the nes i got off ebay was such bad quality especally the rubber dome cluster on the dpad, the connecters are literally falling off. I found in a broken GC controller a rubber dome cluster for the dpad with the EXACT same spacing so im going to use that, makes the button presses so chrisp and springy. not one person in the two hardware stores in town knew what bondo was, is there another name for it? I'm taking pics as I go and I'll upload them if everyone wants, but I don't know if that would be hijacking the thread. i'm off to sleep, I'll try to find some bondo tomorrow.

I have one goal for this, make it for less than it would cost for a new controller (about $80AU) $25 for the 360 controller, $15 for the NES controller and $15 for the holes drilled for me, (I haven't got the tools)

$25 left...
Who said anything about Bondo? I use Plastic Welder (an Epoxy) to hold that kinda thing in place. If ya want Bondo go to some place like Wal-Mart and look in the Automotive section or a place that does body work on cars. Post up yer pics when ya get it all sorted in here if ya like. ;)