Xbox 360 Laptop - complete (updated 7/15)

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Wed May 28, 2008 9:16 pm

I want to talk to you more about this...I plan on making one this summer.
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."

WompaStompa11
PSN Username:WompaStompa11

Post by WompaStompa11 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:21 pm

LoyalistRevolt wrote:I want to talk to you more about this...I plan on making one this summer.
OK, great. I'd be glad to help :mrgreen:
Image Laziness is a serious disease... My Ebay Reference . . . My video game collection

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Wed May 28, 2008 9:23 pm

WompaStompa11 wrote:
LoyalistRevolt wrote:I want to talk to you more about this...I plan on making one this summer.
OK, great. I'd be glad to help :mrgreen:
How long did it take?

WompaStompa11

Post by WompaStompa11 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:26 pm

I didn't have much electronics knowledge beforehand, so it took roughly 40-50 hours.
Image Laziness is a serious disease... My Ebay Reference . . . My video game collection

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Wed May 28, 2008 9:38 pm

Tell me did you use your own Xbox? also when you figure out the heating problem tell me :D one more thing how do you charge your controller? and is that a usb keyboard?

WompaStompa11

Post by WompaStompa11 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:58 pm

LoyalistRevolt wrote:Tell me did you use your own Xbox? also when you figure out the heating problem tell me :D one more thing how do you charge your controller? and is that a usb keyboard?
I had 2 360's so I used one of them to make the laptop. I charge the controller with the play and charge kit via the USB port in the back. And yes, the keyboard is USB.

caseyr7

Post by caseyr7 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:47 pm

if you are just having problems on ventilation then you should probably put an intake fan in the front or something to that effect, and put a whole bunch of tiny holes around the sides of the case, the case looks like it can hold up fine. make it look kinda like the intake ports on the 360 itself. shouldnt be too hard. just drill some holes.

woox

Post by woox » Fri May 30, 2008 4:53 pm

Was the acrylic black when you bought it or did you spray paint it black?

What did u use to cut the plastic?

Also can we see some more screenshots :P

WompaStompa11

Post by WompaStompa11 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:25 pm

woox wrote:Was the acrylic black when you bought it or did you spray paint it black?

What did u use to cut the plastic?

Also can we see some more screenshots :P
The acrylic was black when I bought it. I used an assortment of hand saws and table saws to cut the plastic. As for more screenshots...

woox

Post by woox » Fri May 30, 2008 10:28 pm

How did you make the hinges for the LCD monitor? And are they secure? Seems like you used the cement glue on them?

WompaStompa11

Post by WompaStompa11 » Sat May 31, 2008 4:39 pm

woox wrote:How did you make the hinges for the LCD monitor? And are they secure? Seems like you used the cement glue on them?
I used the art file ben supplied, and I cut out the six pieces out of the plastic I bought with a hand saw. I used a bolt, stop nut, and 3 nylon washers to connect the hinges. Yes, the hinges are secure. I used the special acrylic glue to attach the hinges to the body.

WompaStompa11

Post by WompaStompa11 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:35 pm

I figured this post might be useful to others...
Hello, i saw taht you made an xbox 360 laptop, and ive been saving my money up for a while to try and make one. I have some experience in video game modding, ive done quite a few with the psp, but i have never done anything this big. Did you have a ton of experience when you did this?

Well, any way, im not sure of all the parts i need, and i was wondering if you could send me a list of your parts you bought, cause i cant find the TV that ben heck used.

I was also wondering if you ever solved your heating problem, and if so could you tell me what you did?

And i think my biggest problem will be the case construction, did you CNC yours? if not, how did you make it?

If you could send me some pictures in detail of the outside of it, like the hinges and stuff, i would be super greatful.

Sorry for righting such a long message, i just dont wanna spend my money and then ruin it, i wanna get it right, no matter how long it takes me.

Thank you!
I didn't have much experience when I began the project. I just had very basic soldering skills, moderate 360 repair knowledge, and other general computer knowledge.

The major parts I bought were: premium 360 console (already owned), Westinghouse LCM-17w7 (the parts in this monitor are identical to the one used in ben's tutorial), Adesso Mini USB Keyboard ACK-595U (same as ben's but without the built in usb hub), 360 wireless networking adapter, some sheets of acrylic for the case (only cost ~ $50 for everything), and many other small, inexpensive parts.

I haven't quite fully solved the heating problem. After fiddling with the position of 11 fans and a home made air duct without success, I purchased a watercooling system. I haven't fully tested the watercooling setup inside the case, since the pump I have is too big, so I need to buy a smaller pump. I will update my post once I get things sorted out.

Due to the excessive cost of using CNC equipment; I made the case by hand. I bought some sheets of black acrylic (plastic) cut to size at a S&W plastics shop. Then I cut all the custom holes and openings by hand, and glued the case together with a special cement.

I think some of my overheating problems may have been due to making the case out of plastic (since aluminum transfers heat much better than plastic). The plastic I used also may have been too thick to allow sufficient air to enter and exit (it was a little under ¼" thick).

I would recommend that you start with an easier project, so you develop some understanding of hacking electronics and home made case construction.

Since I didn't have much experience when I started, many parts of the project were very tedious and they required LOTS of patience. At times, I felt like pulling my hair out, and sometimes I thought I screwed something up and ruined my entire project (but thankfully that didn't happen). :D

Animedude101

Post by Animedude101 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:42 pm

dude this is a sweet xbox 360 laptop,
hope you get the cooling problem fixed :)

kasar

Post by kasar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:46 pm

nice laptop, it is like ben´s one.

black is also a nice color.

what about the batteries? :roll:

nice work

EDIT 1: well,I saw the power suply box, it is very big, So I doubt about adding batteries that works at least 1 hour of timeplay will be an easy objetive.

WompaStompa11

Post by WompaStompa11 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:55 pm

Animedude101 wrote:dude this is a sweet xbox 360 laptop,
hope you get the cooling problem fixed :)
Thanks!
kasar wrote:nice laptop, it is like ben´s one.

black is also a nice color.

what about the batteries? :roll:

nice work

EDIT 1: well,I saw the power suply box, it is very big, So I doubt about adding batteries that works at least 1 hour of timeplay will be an easy objetive.
lol, you're right :D