PS3 Internal LED's possible?

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

woox
PS3 Internal LED's possible?

Post by woox » Mon May 12, 2008 1:55 pm

I want to make a PS3 mod where there are LED's inside it, and transparent case....does anyone know where I can draw power from on the PS3 motherboard, and maybe what ohm resistor to use?

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Mon May 12, 2008 2:11 pm

I've not taken a PS3 apart, but I assume that power could be pulled from the USB port. It'll light up only when the thing is running... LOL.

For a transparent case, you're on your own. But keep in mind, the plastic seems slightly transparent, so you could get some neat effects with internal LEDs.

woox

Post by woox » Mon May 12, 2008 2:38 pm

APHawkes wrote:I've not taken a PS3 apart, but I assume that power could be pulled from the USB port. It'll light up only when the thing is running... LOL.

For a transparent case, you're on your own. But keep in mind, the plastic seems slightly transparent, so you could get some neat effects with internal LEDs.
USB is a good idea, thats kind of my goal to have it run when ps3 is on only...but I dont want to really kill a usb port for this, any other power sources?

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Mon May 12, 2008 3:47 pm

No need to kill the USB port. Just splice into the +5v and GND lines.
Another source of power would be the Hard Disk power connector, or the blu-ray power connector. Don't ask me the voltages... I'm too lazy to look them up.

woox

Post by woox » Mon May 12, 2008 4:32 pm

Hmmm the harddrive would be a good idea! I actually have my ps3 hdd externally powered via ac adapter (3.5" drive), so I dont use my ps3 hdd power slot at all :P

Since you dont want to tell me the voltage can you tell me where I can find them (cant find anything of relevance on google) :p

Also I am thinking I would do a SATA power to a MOLEX (4 pin), and then use the pinout of the molex to rewire the power to resistor...

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Tue May 13, 2008 6:08 am

Can't find anything of relevance on Google?
http://www.google.com/search?q=SATA+power
How about checking Wikipedia for the SATA power connector? It's only the first result.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#Power
There's always the option of grabbing your multi-meter and checking the pins!
:roll:

You certainly could use a molex plug for easy connect/disconnect. I'd probably go for a "Berg" connector (the one from the floppy drives) because it's smaller. Whatever you've got handy, really.