PS3 Laptop V2.0 (Improvements to V1.0)

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

Jikoo
PS3 Laptop V2.0 (Improvements to V1.0)

Post by Jikoo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:32 am

I've just this minute sent an e-Mail to Ben, asking if he could take a few weeks/months out of his busy shedule, to make a Version 2.0. I would like to see the following improvements:

Bigger HDD
1080p/1080i Screen
Space for additional USB Ports
Make it portable, a 7KG (16 pound) laptop is not very portable, so try to make it weigh less
Put a battery in it, this more defines the 'p' at the end

If you could meet these it would make it better and more of a complete engineering feat.

Please feel free to debate!
"Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."

WhatULive4

Post by WhatULive4 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:36 am

So are you paying for it? Without cash upfront it really isn't worth it for him, especially since it took him such a long time to do the first one.

Jikoo

Post by Jikoo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:38 am

It's only and idea. But it might not be possible?
"Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."

nc

Post by nc » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:16 am

Jikoo wrote:It's only and idea. But it might not be possible?
"Excuse me sir , I would like you to build me a custom PS3 laptop. I'd like to see the following improvements on your last one:

Bigger HDD
1080p/1080i Screen
Space for additional USB Ports
Make it portable, a 7KG (16 pound) laptop is not very portable, so try to make it weigh less
Put a battery in it, this more defines the 'p' at the end

Thanks , if you could get right on this right away i'd appreciate it.

What? Payment you say? Oh there will be nothing of that nature , i'd just like to see it , for entertainment purposes."

See how that sounds? Would you do it if someone sent you an email asking for such a thing?

Also , most of your improvements lack logic. You can add additional USB ports by plugging in a HUB , a 1080p/i screen at that size would offer little or no improvement over 720p and lastly , make it weigh less? You think he made it way that much on purpose? I seriously doubt there's anything in there which is unneccesary and adds to the weight.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:19 am

I doubt he'll pay attention to your email, which will be mixed in the sea of PS3 laptop and PS360 controller requests.

As for possibility, some of your requests are not feasible at this time. "Make it weigh less" and "add a battery"? It would need a very strong (read: not light) battery to run longer than 5 minutes, since the PS3 was never designed to run off batteries. There's 1080i screen? The difference between 720 and 1080 is hard to tell on a 17" screen.

Expect to pay dearly for such a creation. (Think "I could buy and insure a decent used car for that price".)

Also,
benheck.com main page wrote:Image
;)

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

This post takes the typical "OMG build me a XBOX 360 laptop for $25!!!" and kicks it up a notch. Bravo for being original.

You should've asked him to also make it run for 30 hours off of a single AA battery (and the laptop recharges the battery when it's not in use, somehow). And it'll cook you dinner and wash your car. And there's also a button on the back that you can push, and BOOM it converts itself into a 360 laptop.

And, since the whole thing'll only weigh 6 ounces, it can EASILY fold up small enough to fit into your pocket and bring to a friend's house.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:07 pm

You should build one yourself if you want those features. Good luck.

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 pm

1.The ps3 by itself draws 300W. No battery will power that for ver long unless you strap something huge on.
2.All components Ben put in his laptop would have been stripped down as much as they could. Making it with more features and bigger screens plus aforementioned car battery means that the laptop wouldn't even be slightly portable.

And its already an engineering feat no improvements need to be made to make it amazing.