Alienware (Desktop or Laptop), which is better for me

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

resecnded x
PSN Username:ShadowXKaiser
360 GamerTag:King Kickass99
Alienware (Desktop or Laptop), which is better for me

Post by resecnded x » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:26 pm

My dad is considering replacing his computer, and maybe in the future replacing mine; I've been SO enamored with the alienware series that I wanted a laptop totaly customized for maximum gaming and the usual college work/job work/basic random.........stuff

What would be more worth having: An alienware desktop decked out for ultimate gaming and the such or an alienware laptop for portability and................stuff; I'd like your opinions to be in a Pros and Cons format with the Final Decision being the choice you think I should take

[Example]

[Alienware Desktop]

Pro's:

Cons:

Final Decision:

[/Example]

im a person who likes to play pc games with........well what any gamer expects of a game, no lag, better graphics/processing speed but I also prefer mine to have a good collection of software for work purposes
"Zeus, your son has returned; I have brought the destruction, OF OLYMPUS"

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Re: Alienware (Desktop or Laptop), which is better for me

Post by jdmlight » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:46 pm

resecnded x wrote:My dad is considering replacing his computer, and maybe in the future replacing mine; I've been SO enamored with the alienware series that I wanted a laptop totaly customized for maximum gaming and the usual college work/job work/basic random.........stuff

What would be more worth having: An alienware desktop decked out for ultimate gaming and the such or an alienware laptop for portability and................stuff; I'd like your opinions to be in a Pros and Cons format with the Final Decision being the choice you think I should take

[Example]

[Alienware Desktop]

Pro's:

Cons:

Final Decision:

[/Example]

im a person who likes to play pc games with........well what any gamer expects of a game, no lag, better graphics/processing speed but I also prefer mine to have a good collection of software for work purposes
Alright, I'll try to follow your format, then I'll put my own response after:
Alienware desktop:
Pros: More powerful for the same money.

Cons: Not as portable for LAN parties. Though I haven't found it to be that much of an issue carrying a desktop to a LAN party, if it's that big of a deal get one of those two-wheel dollies.

Alienware laptop:
Pros: More portable for LAN parties and such. You always have a powerful computer with you. Much sexier than a netbook.

Cons: Heavy, except for the M11x, which is the one I'd buy. But the M11x doesn't have the best gaming performance. If you move up to the M14x, it "starts at under 7 pounds." I have a 15" Macbook Pro which is a fairly light 15" laptop at 5 pounds. Trust me when I say you don't want bigger or heavier than that, 15"/5lbs can be too big at times. Battery life on a gaming laptop is often less-than-stellar. Large. In short: not as portable as you'd think. :wink:

Recommendation: Alienware desktop. (But read below.)

Desktops are always better for gaming, if for no other reason than you can easily swap in a new graphics card in a year or two. They're also more powerful for cheaper. You're also not stuck with whatever screen Dell stuck in the Alienware laptop to try to save costs. You also will pick your own keyboard and mouse. Which is important because if you wear out WASD and spacebar on the keyboard on your desktop, you go buy another one and plug it in. On a laptop, it's much more expensive to get the keyboard replaced. Trackpads suck for gaming, so you'll buy a mouse anyway.

Plus, gaming laptops aren't all that portable, which imo is the point of having a laptop in the first place. I'd personally get a portable laptop (like, say, a netbook) and a powerful desktop. If I were buying a new laptop right now, I'd look for something 13" or smaller and 4.5lbs or lighter.

Now, have you considered building your own? If you're posting even moderately intelligently on this website, you've pretty much got what it takes to build your own. It's honestly not that difficult. I personally know that ketchup, squintus, and I have built gaming computers recently (and I'm sure plenty more people here have as well) so we could help you out with picking parts. Then you can get exactly what you want, spend less money/get something more powerful, and take pride in the fact that you built it.

So my recommendation: build your own desktop; buy a small, light, long-battery-life laptop.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

resecnded x

Post by resecnded x » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:46 am

well that's one, and that one reply seems to be the most informative so far

I HAVE been considering building my own laptop and have went online to dell to choose my parts (which is pretty much over 7,000..............but it looks female of the dog species)

maybe ill see what they have desktop wise instead; also, if I want to save a configuration to my dell online wish list, how do I do that, or is it only for pre-configured desktops/laptops/other stuff

and just to add on to it, im looking at the desktops they have featured, and im looking at two of them that catch my eye, but unfortunately, those two that I mentioned before I edited this post didn't leave much in me customizing them, so until I find a suitable customizing option with the alienware, im gonna go for laptop

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:29 am

After re-reading my post, I wasn't all that clear. Have you considered building your own gaming desktop? Don't try to build a laptop, if you decide you want a gaming laptop get the Alienware. The parts selection for building your own laptop is pretty limited, which takes away the primary reason of building your own computer.

No, what I meant was take something like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... u=C11-1099
Add a graphics card like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=7005
And maybe an SSD like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=5300
Total cost (assuming you mail in the rebates): $910 with the SSD, $713 without. And that would be a pretty darn potent gaming computer, with many upgrade options in the future. Decide you want to do dual graphics cards? You can. Decide you want to try overclocking? Go for it, AMD's overclock well and the motherboard in that kit will make it fairly easy.

Also, the great thing about building your own desktop: Don't like the look of that case? There are hundreds of different cases to pick from. I have the Antec 900, which I love, it's a great gaming case. (And over 5,000 other people on Newegg like it too.) Prefer Intel over AMD? You can certainly go for Intel instead. You have lots of options, you don't have to go with a pre-bundled pick of components like I linked to. I chose that one because it's gaming-oriented and I'm not going to spend the time to hand-pick components if you're not sure you want to go for it.

Though, $910 for a quad-core AMD-based computer with an AMD Radeon 6950 and a 120gb SSD would be one hell of a gaming computer.
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

resecnded x

Post by resecnded x » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:43 pm

I didn't ACTUALLY mean build a laptop out of parts, I meant to go onto the dell website and pe-ruse their alienware laptops and make one by choosing the parts themselves (select hard drive, windows 7 ultimate, what video card, etc, you know what im trying to say)

for desktops, I MIGHT just build my own, someday, but not until im probably in my sophomore years in ENMU-R

I DID pick out a laptop and customized it, and saved the configuration, but considering the price, unless my parents won the lottery, there is NO damn chance they're gonna buy it for me

if it comes to it, then maybe I will build a desktop, but again, probably won't unless I have someone to help me (not online, but in real life)

but to answer your question, maybe I have considered building my own gaming desktop, but if I do, I want it to look b(censored)ing, and not something too...........bland, if you know what im saying

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:57 pm

resecnded x wrote:I didn't ACTUALLY mean build a laptop out of parts, I meant to go onto the dell website and pe-ruse their alienware laptops and make one by choosing the parts themselves (select hard drive, windows 7 ultimate, what video card, etc, you know what im trying to say)

for desktops, I MIGHT just build my own, someday, but not until im probably in my sophomore years in ENMU-R

I DID pick out a laptop and customized it, and saved the configuration, but considering the price, unless my parents won the lottery, there is NO damn chance they're gonna buy it for me

if it comes to it, then maybe I will build a desktop, but again, probably won't unless I have someone to help me (not online, but in real life)

but to answer your question, maybe I have considered building my own gaming desktop, but if I do, I want it to look b(censored)ing, and not something too...........bland, if you know what im saying
Oh alright, just wanted to make sure. Because there are a few manufacturers that offer build-it-yourself laptops, and I don't really see the point.

Here's a guide I though enlightening (there are plenty more available on Google for your reading pleasure): http://lifehacker.com/5151369/the-first ... om-scratch

How about this case? It's pretty far removed from bland.

Reaper P7
PSN Username:Haha... Yea Right
360 GamerTag:Subscription? Nah.
Steam ID:Refer to email to add me.

Post by Reaper P7 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Sagers are cheaper, more customizable, and imho just as good. http://Www.cyberpowerpc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has seemed to be the cheapest overall, and they give you a free bag and game to boot! :)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

resecnded x

Post by resecnded x » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:41 pm

ok, im checking out the website you showed me reaper, and im looking at the power supply options, now, normally I'd use the required power supply that provides the needed wattage, but lets say I end up............making the wattage go to the thousands, will that end up frying my gaming desktop

im still working out the details on it/still customizing it, but I'd like a reply as fast as you can give me one please; ill post (and this if I can end up getting the details to be posted) the desktop specs soon

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:25 pm

resecnded x wrote:ok, im checking out the website you showed me reaper, and im looking at the power supply options, now, normally I'd use the required power supply that provides the needed wattage, but lets say I end up............making the wattage go to the thousands, will that end up frying my gaming desktop

im still working out the details on it/still customizing it, but I'd like a reply as fast as you can give me one please; ill post (and this if I can end up getting the details to be posted) the desktop specs soon
You're better off getting a power supply that is larger than you need. So you'd be fine if you picked a power supply "that goes into the thousands".

resecnded x

Post by resecnded x » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:27 pm

also, would an extra thermal display be helpful with a Coolermaster HAF-X Gaming Full Tower Case w/ 1x230mm Fan, 1x200mm Fans, 2xFront USB 3.0 Port.............thing

we might also (we being my dad and me) be getting a different router with our new desktops, and if that happens, would that router only be accessible through its respective wireless usb adapter

the choices for the routers that is appearing on my page is the following:

Asus RT-N16 802.11n 300Mbps Multi-Functional Gigabit Wireless N Router

Asus RT-N56U Stylish Concurrent 300 Mbps Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router

Linksys WRT120N Wireless-N Router

Linksys E1200 Wireless-N Router

Linksys E2500 Advanced Dual-Band N Router

Linksys E4200 Maximum Performance Dual-Band N Router

Zonet ZSR1134WE 802.11g Wireless Broadband Router

Zonet ZSR-4174WE 802.11n Portable Travel Size Wireless AP Router

which would be better for me and my dad's network experience (for me, I have a network card picked out, no external unless convinced otherwise)

resecnded x

Post by resecnded x » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:23 pm

ok guys, thanks to reaper, he has convinced me to try buying outside of dell, so without further ado, here's my desktop build specs

Case: * Coolermaster HAF-X Gaming Full Tower Case w/ 1x230mm Fan, 1x200mm Fans, 2xFront USB 3.0 Port [+125]
Internal USB Extension Module: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module [+19]
Neon Light Upgrade: None
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
Noise Reduction Technology: Power Supply Gasket [+5]
Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
Cooling Fan: EVGA Superclock CPU Gaming Cooler Fan [+13]
Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant
Motherboard: * (3-Way SLI Support) MSI X58A-GD45 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Triple-Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, IEEE1394a, 3 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI (All Venom OC Certified) [-65]
Memory: 24GB (4GBx6) DDR3/1333MHz Triple Channel Memory [+269] (Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+721] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
Freebies: None
Video Card 2: None
Video Card 3: None
Power Supply Upgrade: 1,500 Watts - Thermaltake TP-1500M ToughPower Modular Power Supply Model:W0171 [+366]
Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+59] (Single Hard Drive)
Data Hard Drive: None
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System [+21] (1 x System)
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
USB Flash Drive: None
Optical Drive: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+4] (RED COLOR [+9])
Optical Drive 2: LG 12X Internal Super Multi Blu-Ray Rewriter [+92] (Blue Color [+9])
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
3D Vision Glasses: None
LCD Monitor: 19" Widescreen 1366x768 Sceptre X195W-NAGA 5ms TFT Active Matrix LCD Display LCD (Black Color) [+125]
2nd Monitor: None
3rd Monitor: None
Speakers: None
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Network Switch: None
Keyboard: Thermaltake eSports Challenger Ultimate Gaming Keyboard Hand Fan Cooler, 14 Macro Keys, 256 Individual Colors & Obsessional Backlight [+74]
Mouse: Razer Tron Gaming Mouse with Light & Sound Features [+83]
Mouse Pad: None
Gaming Gear: None
Extra Thermal Display: None
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: Zonet ZEW1642S IEEE 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card [+29]
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
Bluetooth: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: None
Video Camera: Zonet USB Webcam with Motion Detection [+17]
Headset: * Thermaltake eSports Shock Gaming Headset Bass Enhancement, Foldable Design, In-Line Control Box Noise Cancelling Mic & Gold Plated 3.5mm Plug (White Color) [+48]
Printer: None
Cable: None
Power Protection: None
Surge Protector: None
IEEE1394 Card: None
Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
USB Port: None
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Ultimate [+209] (64-bit Edition)
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
Office Suite: Microsoft® Office® 2010 Professional (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher + Access) [+299]
Games: None
Ultra Care Option: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
*_PRICE: (+3447)

if I could make this list less ugly I would, believe me, but certain events in my schoolwork have caused me to.............procrastinate a bit, so.............................eeyup

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:02 pm

The extra thermal display is primarily for looks. You can add it if you like the look of it. It doesn't really serve any functional need.

I'd go for one of these two:
Linksys E2500 Advanced Dual-Band N Router
Linksys E4200 Maximum Performance Dual-Band N Router
I'd get the E2500 if you're using mostly wireless, I'd get the E4200 if you're doing more wired (the E4200 has gigabit networking, which is really fast).

No, you can use any brand of wireless adapter with any brand of wireless router.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case: Coolermaster makes good stuff, and if that's the one you like the look of, perfect.
Internal USB Extension Module: why? Your motherboard has 8 ports on the back and your case has two on the front.
CPU: That's a really fast processor.
Motherboard: That motherboard has everything you'd need, and MSI's a good brand.
Memory: 24GB of RAM may be a little ridiculous, on the other hand, RAM is pretty cheap right now. To be honest, most people won't ever need more than 8GB.
Video Card: The Radeon 6990 is totally overkill for a single 19" monitor. You could save a bunch of money by going with a 68xx and still have flawless gaming performance.
Power Supply Upgrade: 1,500 watts is pretty overkill. 750-1000w would be plenty.
Hard Drive: A nice upgrade in the future would be an SSD, at which point this 2TB drive would make a great data drive.
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: Not really necessary. Your case has great airflow over the hard drives as is.
Optical Drives: Having two is nice, and the blu-ray burner is nice to have.
LCD Monitor: That's fine, though you can get a 22" 1920x1080 from Tigerdirect for around $120.
Keyboard/Mouse: highly personal preference, so whatever you want.
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: Is your PC going to be near your router? If so, you'll get much better performance from running a cable.
Headset: Headsets are nice to have for gaming.
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit Edition) is a good choice.
Office Suite: Do you really need OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, and Access? If not, you can get the Home and Student version of Office for around $150.
Service: 3 years plus lifetime tech support is a pretty fantastic warranty.
*_PRICE: (+3447) Take some of the advice mentioned above to save a bit of money.

resecnded x

Post by resecnded x » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:55 pm

well sure, I could go down on some of the items here, but for me, I'd like my desktop to be just like my XBL GT: King Kickass99 (minus the A double s part), plus I like to go overkill in my video games and/or my work, so yep, overkill is my middle nickname

also, I did consider the SSD, but so far, what I've read about them, I don't like them, maybe when I end up deciding to do so I will, but for now, ill settle with the semi-classical hard drives

yes, I'd like the full suite for Microsoft office because considering where im going for my university, I might need them, also, I could use them for other needs

and maybe ill choose the routers at a later time, but for now, im in a dilema with my dad

he too wants to replace his desktop as its a REALLY old one with windows xp, more problems than its worth, and im wondering if you guys can help me with convincing him to buy outside of dell (as we could probably get some warranty stuff sorted out later); he primarily uses his computer to do ancestry work, look up race times for nascar races, goes on the internet occasionally, doesn't do much video gaming (like portal 2, or battlefield 2: bad company [did I get that right?] or even more of the hardcore gaming, he's a computer work man), and im wondering if you guys could recommend for him/tell me what would be a good desktop setup for him; he already has a printer (but I suspect that he'll get it replaced someday, probably with a laser printer/scanner thing)

help is once again, appreciated

Reaper P7
PSN Username:Haha... Yea Right
360 GamerTag:Subscription? Nah.
Steam ID:Refer to email to add me.

Post by Reaper P7 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Congrats. Hope you enjoy the pc. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk