Upgrading Android Tablet to 3.2?

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Muniosi
Upgrading Android Tablet to 3.2?

Post by Muniosi » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:22 pm

I have an Android tablet that came with Android OS 2.2. I would like to upgrade it to 3.2. I've heard it upgrades over the air, but it hasn't so far. I even found the spot where it tells you if your device is up to date or not, but it says it is. I know it's not, so is there any way to "force" an upgrade? This is the tablet I have. Thanks!

tom61

Re: Upgrading Android Tablet to 3.2?

Post by tom61 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:25 am

No 3.0 is only for the fancy devices whose manufactures have paid Google to have it before everyone else. Once Google releases 3.0 to everyone, you might be able to upgrade it, but it's very likely that you'll have to do it manually and it will be a user porting it to that device, not the manufacturer.

Though, if it's very similar to an existing 3.0 device (very unlikely given it's low specs), you might be able to find a hacked version of that rom and cram it on.

Try to find a user forum geared towards that tablet, many have an active hacking scene.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:16 pm

tom61 wrote:No 3.0 is only for the fancy devices whose manufactures have paid Google to have it before everyone else. Once Google releases 3.0 to everyone, you might be able to upgrade it, but it's very likely that you'll have to do it manually and it will be a user porting it to that device, not the manufacturer.

Though, if it's very similar to an existing 3.0 device (very unlikely given it's low specs), you might be able to find a hacked version of that rom and cram it on.

Try to find a user forum geared towards that tablet, many have an active hacking scene.
I have heard mixed reviews of Honeycomb on tablets that weren't built for it. I would try to see if you can find a version of Cyanogenmod that will work on your device. I have Cyanogen, and it's really nice. I have been meaning to try Honeycomb (there is a hacked rom of it available for my tablet), but I haven't gotten around to it.

BTW I have a Nook Color with Cyanogenmod7 on it. Typically the only way that you'll find a Honeycomb rom available for your device is if it has an active hacking community behind it. So I'd give the same recommendation as tom61, see if there is a forum dedicated to hacking your particular tablet.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Zeittriven

Post by Zeittriven » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:01 am

BTW, Cyanogenmod should be better than Honeycomb. But still, there might be some problems after installing it