Laptop Drive Spacing

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

mklarsen
Laptop Drive Spacing

Post by mklarsen » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:35 am

My department recently ordered a set of Lenovo x220 tablets along with SSDs to install inside them. One problem: the tablets use half height 2.5" drives instead of the standard size.

One way around the problem was to pull apart my SSDs and fit them into the drive sled inside the tablet. This worked really well except that I feel bad about essentially using packing foam to space the SSD inside the drive sled.

In anyone's experience, have you had success with a particular material spacing electronics? I wouldn't mind using foam or foam core board, but I just want to make sure that I'm not exposing the interior of the machine to a laptop-melting insulator.

There are about 40 machines to do, too, so foam core is attractive in that it is easy to cut, but I've also been considering little sticky backed rubber shoes.

Your opinions?

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Re: Laptop Drive Spacing

Post by bassmasta » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:04 pm

mklarsen wrote:There are about 40 machines to do, too, so foam core is attractive in that it is easy to cut, but I've also been considering little sticky backed rubber shoes.
I would go with rubber shoes. McMaster-Carr has a great selection of adhesive rubber feet. They come in a sheet of 20 or so (I think, it depends on the size of the feet). We ordered some of these at my work for a project that needed to stand and they work great. Just search for adhesive backed bumpers (or rubber feet) if the link doesn't work.

They probably would probably be best for airflow, too, since you're not filling the whole area. Might even reduce vibration, which would be another plus. (Oh wait, SSD's don't vibrate. :) )

Edit: Post 666!
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.