Homemade Deskbook: Rev. 2

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Reaper P7
PSN Username:Haha... Yea Right
360 GamerTag:Subscription? Nah.
Steam ID:Refer to email to add me.
Homemade Deskbook: Rev. 2

Post by Reaper P7 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:04 pm

Just putting the finishing touches on my Desk-book Rev.2, and thought since I originally announced my alpha here I would show off the baby that it created.

After making a few models in a 1/4 scale with poster card, I became confident enough to begin my deskbook 2.0.
This build will feature a cooler running graphics card (AMD 5450 – 1GB) and a solid state drive in order to make the system a little more durable.
I constructed the case from all acrylic because it is lighter and has my required amount of durability.
(in addition to myself having a lot of experience in working with it as well.)
I used the monitor from my portable Xbox, since this puppy weighs considerably less than the original monitor. (22" down to 15" diagonally)
The case is 16×12.5x7in, and it weighs in around 2-3 lbs.
I am excluding the battery since that thing was entirely too heavy and fairly useless.
I tried working with a laptop monitor, but the analog to digital conversions are costly, and don't work well with this particular design.
The desktop monitor I will be using will add a lot more durability to the box once it is fastened to the front of the shell.
The monitor in the front will be protected with a jury rigged laptop case that will be filled with acrylic the same size as the front part of the case.
It will be velcrowed into place, and will contain the power cord and wireless I/O devices.
Essentially, I utilized the basic design from a desktop case as far as airflow, sucking air in from one side and venting toward the other.
I haven't had the time to test the temperatures yet, but I will as soon as this thing is operational.

As the days go on, I will edit this post and comment as well.

Day 1:
The case is starting to come together, most of the time was finishing the design and compiling materials

Day 2:
The case is done and the glue continuing to cure. The fans are mounted, the paint is drying, and the holes are drilled. I must mount the speakers, my front panel that protects the monitor, and finish some more “housekeeping.” Expect this to be done by Tuesday, I have some more work to do… you know… to pay for toys bills.

Reaper P7

Re: Homemade Deskbook: Rev. 2

Post by Reaper P7 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Finally found the time to finish this project, and although it looks a LOT like a microwave, I am pleased with its performance and stability.
I decided to add a 320Gb hdd from a laptop for extra storage, and made the fans run even slower since the airflow is more than enough inside the box.
Most components are 40-50C, almost a little cool IMO.
Below is a picture of the beast assembled, it's faceplate that hold the keyboard and mouse is on the floor below out of frame.
Hope it's at least amusing if not exciting to everyone.
Suggestion box is open. :)

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:18 pm

Nice! I've always thought of doing one, but just using an existing case and cut a hole in the side for the LCD.

Reaper P7

Post by Reaper P7 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:47 am

What you're describing is a lot like my first design. Which is not BAD, but it is very hard to get good airflow inside most cases. If you go the rout of cracking an existing case, it is a lot easier to mount an LCD by taking off the back panel and actually using the front panel to mount such as in my rev. 2. Albeit, my highest recommendation is that you try to copy desktop air flow as best as you can. It gets VERY warm in that box, and a flawed air system will make the system unusable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnYIJkmN0E0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reaper P7

Post by Reaper P7 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Bump. Added a video:
http://youtu.be/q2GKTpcl0ps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;