HP Pavillion dm1z-3200 mods

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Steel Ah Live
360 GamerTag:Steel Ah Live
HP Pavillion dm1z-3200 mods

Post by Steel Ah Live » Sat May 28, 2011 8:51 am

So, i've recently purchased an HP dm1z-3200 - AMD Fusion chip and so far it's an excellent netbook. The fan noise everyone complains about (other site reviews) i've not heard them once. Dont get it. Either way I digress. Plays 1080p footage, streams wirelessly from server pc, and running windows 7 ultimate 64. Have stardock full desktop configs installed. I love it, great 400 dollar netbook. I am looking at a few mods to this machine. Listed in order of preference...1 being most important.

1. I want the screen (11.6 inch) to be touch screen. I've found a complete disassembly guide on HP's site so taking apart doesn't seem to be the *hard* part.

2. I loved the previous lap top screen mod Ben did with the slider laptop for airplain use, but can really see this being a slider application as well and would like to explore this possibility.

3. Add or find for that matter a mini PCI-e usb 3.0 card that could be installed with minor case modification to the front or side or even as an attached unit if necessarey that can be done later.

Anyone has questions or suggestions please respond.

Later,
Steel

-Check out my Wireless Xbox 360 headset mod -
Forum Post -http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41751
Photos - http://www.steelahlive.com/headset.html

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Re: HP Pavillion dm1z-3200 mods

Post by humakabula1 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:45 am

nice choice!
im still waiting for mine in the post :wtf:

have a look into touch screen overlays.
they are a layer that you just clip onto the screen and plug a usb to use it.
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:48 pm

i did a little extra research into mini pcie cards as i also want to add extra features to my netbook.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-PCI-e-USB-3-0- ... 336482ba99
there is a usb3 card, its made for a desktop but it could be instlled through the mini pcie slot inside the laptop.

another idea is a SD card reader or a mini SSD hard drive to run the OS from
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

Steel Ah Live
360 GamerTag:Steel Ah Live

Post by Steel Ah Live » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:21 pm

I too, have been using my googling/ebay skills as of late and have found many mini-pci-e cards but only 2 or 3 usb 3.0 one's and the cards all require molex or some sort of power. Not sure where we'd get that from the computer and not wanting to jump right into soldering. Funny thing is thou if i could make the screen a slider or slider/touchscreen easily i'd do it in a heartbeat. Wonder what Ben would charge with a donated device to work on =P

Later,
Steel