Using SD card for paging/swap file.

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat
Using SD card for paging/swap file.

Post by Snow_Cat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:01 am

I should have done this three harddrives ago.

I put a $6 2GB SD card into my laptop and told windows to keep the paging file there. Remains to be seen if this reduces the blue screen frequency, however my dying hardrive is not making so much noise now; and hopefully there won't be corrupted files to deal with next time it crashes.

^- - ^ Any suggestions?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: Using SD card for paging/swap file.

Post by bicostp » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:23 am

Replace your hard drive and get more RAM ASAP.

Using external flash memory as virtual memory swap space burns through cards and thumbdrives fast.

Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:03 pm

I know that;
but I would rather trash my SD card than have the dodgy harddrive corrupting/crashing everytime there is a loud noise because Windows won't behave without its swap file, And I have no better alternative while I decide if I want to spend the $30 to upgrade this broken/defective laptop, or spend $500 replacing it entirely.

I've already swapped out the RAM for two identical (brand/model) sticks I happened to have laying around and replaced the adaptor held together by tape I made for one held toghether by soldier and tape without success -

Though now that I have a 'standard' IDE connection on this laptop I might build myself a RAM drive with the parts I have on hand ... or some sort of SODIMM to DIMM adaptor, since that would be less complicated and require fewer parts, and I already have the desktop modules...

^- - ^ hmm...

Edit: I will build an adaptor for the DIMM to SODIMM, given that there are DDR2 SODIMM to DIMM adaptors work, I don't see why this (save for those additonal 40 pins) this wouldn't work. Though there may be some hacksawing involved to make things fit...

Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Today's progress
Ran memtest86+, second set of RAM is clean.

(While working)
Got another blue screen; added it to the log and noted the address-
Attempted a soft restart, 'non system disk or disc not present'
Attempted a hard reset. Noted that the harddrive did not spin down, the battery warning light came on. '170# - Drive controller failure'
Removed power supply. Removed battery. Noted that the hardrive made a series of disconcerting chirping noises.
Replaced power supply, 'non system disk or disc not present'
Restart with memtest86+ boot disc, 'non system disk or disc not present'
Restart with HDD disconnected, 'non system disk or disc not present'
Restart with out disc connected, '_' ^. .n^
Remove my adaptor, WTF the empty harddrive bay is warm to the touch, but there isn't anything there, not even wires... :shock: ^ o o^
Remove HP adaptor, motherboard itself is hot. :evil:
< >o<> Blasted thing.

:arrow: Lunch break.

Analyse BSOD log, discover reoccuring address 0x805c749a. Google that. WTF cold solder joints causing HDD controller failures in other Compaq/HP laptops. :wtf: ^ _ _*^

Atleast this one didn't catch fire like the last one. :| ^- - ^

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:06 pm

Yep it's busted. That's why I have absolutely no faith in grocery store computers. :lol:

See if there's a recall on that laptop. If there is you might be able to get it fixed at a reasonable price (or free).

If not, time to play computer shopping! :D Check out the small business and corporate models. They're usually a little more expensive than the consumer stuff, but they're much nicer.

http://outlet.lenovo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I really like my x100e with the L625 processor, but it's an 11" subnotebook so your mileage may vary. The T series is excellent.
http://www.dell.com/outlet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - The Latitude E64xx and E65xx models friggin rule.

Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:06 am

I did search for one.
The claim period ended on the 14th, and was only open to US residents.