Windows Server 2008 R2 reset admin password

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

xtrmgam3r360
Windows Server 2008 R2 reset admin password

Post by xtrmgam3r360 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:10 pm

after a long period of not using my server I have unfortunately forgotten my password :( I've tried using the recovery console on the install dvd, but because of the RAID controller, it can't seem to find my hard drive... and the same thing happens with every other password recovery utility such as ophcrack...
any ideas?

DiscoPanda

Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 reset admin password

Post by DiscoPanda » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:04 am

Did you try to slipstream the RAID drivers with something like vLite? I can't say for certain if that would help, but it's probably worth a try.

If you just want to grab your files, you might want to look for a Linux live cd (like Knoppix) that understands whatever RAID controller you're using, and copy off files with it.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Are you unable to even see the hard drives via a live-cd (like linux)? If you can do this, might have to manually mount it, you can then download the SAM file and crack it to get the password. Or just do what I did in my Computer Security class, and replace the password with nothing. This will require a tool that can effect MD5 encryption.

Because I'm not sure about it being kosher to let the name out PM me and I'll tell it to you. All the rest of you can take the bread crumbs I left and follow that to your own conclusion.

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm just going to lock this because it's attracting spambots like flies to honey.

OP, if you want this re-opened shoot a PM to any mod or admin.