iTunes issue

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Shadeslayer
iTunes issue

Post by Shadeslayer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:08 am

Hello all,

I am sorry if this post is in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure if I should have posted in "technical questions and answers"
My friend as a laptop (windows 7) which isn't allowing any product from apple to run. The error states

This program has been blocked for your protection. An administrator has blocked you from running this program. For more information, contact your administrator.
Program name: iTunes.exe
Publisher: Not Trusted
File origin: Hard drive on this computer
Program location: "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe"

I have tried everything that, in my geek knowledge, I could think of. Running as an administrator. I did about 1.5 hours worth of google research. I tried uninstalling to reinstall but again, its blocked from even unistalling. I thought that it might be part of the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) that was preventing it from running. I tried to add it to the exception list but with no luck. Appearently, iTunes needs DEP to run. I am clear out of ideas and she needs her computer back before Sunday night for work. Any help is very appriciated. Thanks in advance!

Shadeslayer
Death from my Desk

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: iTunes issue

Post by bicostp » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:39 am

Another user from ye olde times comes back... :shock:

Is it a company laptop? (Or is it connected to a company network, joined to a Windows domain?) It's possible iTunes has been blocked from running through Group Policy. (I'm not sure if that's the specific error it kicks up when programs are blocked, but "An administrator has blocked you from running this program." raises that flag.) Check GPEDIT.MSC to see if it's being blocked.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.technipages.com/prevent-user ... grams.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When did this issue first arise?

Shadeslayer

Re: iTunes issue

Post by Shadeslayer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:43 am

Actually its a personnel laptop on a home network. No groups, no servers, no admins of any sort. It started with the iTunes store not loading about a week ago. Did some research on that issue but couldn't find anything wrong. I ran the "check for updates" tool. It found a newer version but it wouldn't download. So I figured I would just do it manually and that is when I found the current issue of everything being blocked.
bicostp wrote:Is it a company laptop? (Or is it connected to a company network, joined to a Windows domain?)
This was my first thought. I have seen an error very similar to this at work, but usually its an easy fix, but this has really stumped me.

I am in the US Air Force and work with a lot of GCG's (government certified geek) :D I have yet to bring the problem to my co-workers. Figured I would see how the modder's would handle a situation like mine.

Thanks!

Shadeslayer

P.S. Yes Bicostp, I am back lol
Death from my Desk