EPROM Questions

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

j7512
EPROM Questions

Post by j7512 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:38 am

I'm just wondering, is it the EPROM in those portable LCD game consoles that holds the proprietary OS? My theory is that if I erased the EPROM by using an EPROM eraser and then I program my own proprietary OS into it using a EPROM programmer will it function with the device properly and display on the LCD screen the os I programmed? Or is there more work involved than just erasing EPROM and programming EPROM?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: EPROM Questions

Post by bicostp » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:41 pm

The "proprietary OS" inside most cheap LCD gadgets is guaranteed to be burned onto a ROM or PROM, neither of which can be erased and reprogrammed. The devices retain the data you enter either in tiny bits of flash memory or a small portion of volatile memory that's kept alive by skimming a trickle of current off the battery.

What is the device, and what are you trying to do with it?

j7512

Post by j7512 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:16 am

bicostp wrote:The "proprietary OS" inside most cheap LCD gadgets is guaranteed to be burned onto a ROM or PROM, neither of which can be erased and reprogrammed. The devices retain the data you enter either in tiny bits of flash memory or a small portion of volatile memory that's kept alive by skimming a trickle of current off the battery.

What is the device, and what are you trying to do with it?
Yes that is indeed true but I was proposing that I would de-solder it and put a EEPROM or Flash EPROM in it's place which holds my modified program code.

I would like to modify a chinese made portable media player with more functions, features and possibly some emulators. I was thinking of soldering a wifi receiver to it and putting a browser so that I can surf the internet because thats all I need without spending too much money on one of those smart phones... I know it all sounds too much and IT IS way beyond my skills but I want to try it even if I break it I just might learn something.

Something like these:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-4-lcd-ga ... slot-21968
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/portable-m ... mera-54415
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-8-lcd-ga ... slot-21965

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:02 am

Impossible. Even if you somehow got it working, it would still suck. Surfing the web a good smartphone isn't even that great. If you really need something like that, I would get a Nook Color and put Android 3.0 on it. A netbook would be my first choice, though.

j7512

Post by j7512 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:06 am

vskid wrote:Impossible. Even if you somehow got it working, it would still suck. Surfing the web a good smartphone isn't even that great. If you really need something like that, I would get a Nook Color and put Android 3.0 on it. A netbook would be my first choice, though.
I don't even care if it sucks, loads of people on this forum make mods that are of no real usefulness. They do it for fun and for the learning experience which is why I want to do it and no I'm not buying a netbook to experiment with.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:27 am

You might as well experiment with how strong the devices are by hitting them with a hammer. I'm not saying this to rain on your parade, I'm trying to save you from wasting time and money on something that just will not work. Now if you want something like this that will actually work and has others working on it, try the Zipit wireless messenger. I'm not sure if it has a browser, but there are a couple emulators that work on it.

j7512

Post by j7512 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:52 am

vskid wrote:You might as well experiment with how strong the devices are by hitting them with a hammer. I'm not saying this to rain on your parade, I'm trying to save you from wasting time and money on something that just will not work. Now if you want something like this that will actually work and has others working on it, try the Zipit wireless messenger. I'm not sure if it has a browser, but there are a couple emulators that work on it.
What would be a practical mod that is worthwhile doing then?