No VGA female on desktop?

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king
No VGA female on desktop?

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:24 pm

Hey guys.

I gave my buddy a Pentium 4 with HT desktop pc yesturday. I took my 256mb nvidia graphics card out of it, because I wanted to keep it.

Now, my friend calls me up and says "The desktop doesnt have VGA out (female)."

He says that it only has VGA Male.

Now, he tried putting in his ati videocard into the pci-e slot, and hooking up a monitor using tha method, but he says that theres no video when he does that. (Cant even see bios, or POST)

So.. Hmm.

I know this machine works.

Why the heck doesnt it have VGA out (female) on board?

What now? Can he somehow configure the PC to display through his videocard? (No drivers obviously as theres no OS)

Or where can he buy a female to female VGA cord? (Most vga cords are male to male.)

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: No VGA female on desktop?

Post by hailrazer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:26 pm

http://www.avalive.com/Hosa-Cables/GGC- ... nt=GGC-451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.svideo.com/adavgaff.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.buy.com/prod/hosa-video-coup ... 14089.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.buy.com/prod/hosa-video-coup ... 14089.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Lol, looks like hes gotta spend money.

Now what I don't get is, why would a company think its a good idea to just put a male plug on the motherboard instead of a female. Like, jeez. Are they stupid? Or just trying to be an annoyance?

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:43 pm

you sure hes seeing VGA and not a serial port? serial is 9 pin and vga is 15 pin on the same size connector. im convinced that the board had no onboard video.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:45 pm

I bet he's looking at a serial port.

What slot did your video card plug into?

Is he sure he's using a good video card?

l0g1c_f41ls

Post by l0g1c_f41ls » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:26 pm

some older comps that have booted with the same video card for a while have some issues with booting with a different one. Try telling him to put his video card in a different slot unless there is only one slot. If the comp is that old it could be a PCI-E slot that isn't the same speed as the video card. IE his card could be a PCI-E 2.0 while the slot is only a PCI-E slot shouldn't matter the card would just run slower but with ATI its may be it doesn't like that it cant run in PCI-E 2.0.
When all else fails, Pull out the hand grenade.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:38 pm

l0g1c_f41ls wrote:some older comps that have booted with the same video card for a while have some issues with booting with a different one. Try telling him to put his video card in a different slot unless there is only one slot. If the comp is that old it could be a PCI-E slot that isn't the same speed as the video card. IE his card could be a PCI-E 2.0 while the slot is only a PCI-E slot shouldn't matter the card would just run slower but with ATI its may be it doesn't like that it cant run in PCI-E 2.0.
PCIe 2.0 isn't supported by most motherboards more than a few years old, and they'll all run 2.0 cards just fine. He should make sure that he has it inserted all the way (both the card and the plug).
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"