Netbook Questions (Not 10" 1.6 ghz Atom toys)

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp
Netbook Questions (Not 10" 1.6 ghz Atom toys)

Post by bicostp » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:00 pm

Well, ol' Bic found himself a job, which means it's new toy season. :lol:

I've been looking at 12" netbooks to replace my old Toshiba Portege 7200cte (lol, P3 650 can't even run YouTube), and the Asus 1215n looks like it will suit my needs. (1.8 ghz dual core Atom with ION 2? Yes please!) I mainly want to use it for web browsing, accessing my desktop with TeamViewer, occasional rounds of TF2 and L4D2, and running XBMC on an HDTV with HDMI. The 1215n looks like my best choice without diving into $1000 thin-and-light laptop territory. (10" and under netbooks feel too cramped for me to comfortably use for extended periods of time, both in keyboard size and screen resolution.) Webcam quality isn't a concern for me (probably not going to use it anyway), neither is lack of USB 3.0 and Bluetooth. (I don't have any USB 3 devices, and I already have a couple USB Bluetooth adapters.)

However, a few different sites I've been reading point to a couple recurring problems, and I'd like some input from people who own similar models regarding them. I'm not too concerned about how different games perform (that's what YouTube is for :mrgreen:), but I would like to hear some feedback about a couple other factors.

How bad is the keyboard flex? I'm not extremely heavy-handed while typing, but I've heard it's more pronounced than on bigger laptops. My Toshiba's keyboard flexes about 1/8" when you press on it; if the Eee is about the same I'll be a happy camper. (I bet there's a way to reinforce the keyboard from underneath while the laptop's apart, anyway.)

Is the 5400 RPM hard drive noticeably slow? My plan was to swap the drive out with an SSD next year, after the warranty expires and (hopefully) SSDs come down in price a bit more. Apparently Asus took a page out of the Apple playbook; you have to take half the laptop apart to change the hard drive, voiding the warranty in the process. A 7200 RPM hard drive would be an option too.

I've heard the tiny power port on the 1201 and 1215 is relatively fragile; a few people on other sites posted about the center pin breaking off the port in the laptop. I can replace it with a tougher old-fashioned power plug from Radio Shack if necessary (since sending it in to be "fixed" would just get me another motherboard with an identical port), but I'd rather not have to do that if at all possible. Is the port really so fragile that it breaks if you look at it wrong, or is it just one of those cases where people aren't as careful as they claim to be? Apparently there are other eee models that use the same port...

How is Asus's build quality is general? A lot of people say their netbooks feel cheap, but judging mainly from store models and clients' netbooks, they're about the same as Acer's and HP's.

Thanks!

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Re: Netbook Questions (Asus 1201/1215 particularly)

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:24 am

So you want to get a Netbook? (Sorry, you post was a little confusing is all...)

I do not have much experience with them but...

Well if you want it to play games on it, I would not recommend getting a Netbook for it. They were mainly designed for Office use. So yea, YouTube, Microsoft Word, Excel etc. Just very 'light' applications.

For gaming, well a Desktop is always preferred. But if you were going for a Laptop, I would suggest the Samsung R590.

They retail for approx $999 AUD and feature,

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Intel Core i5 450M 2.4GHz Turbo To 2.66GHz Processor
4GB Memory DDR3 RAM
15.6" LED High Definition (1366x768) Wide Screen - 16:9 Non-Gloss
nVidia GeForce GT 330M - 1GB DDR3 Dedicated Graphic (HDMI)
640GB Hard Drive
Super Multi-Layer DVD Burner
1.3 Mega Pixel web camera
3-in-1 (SD, SDHC, MMC)
4 x USB 2.0 - eSATA and USB included
3W Stereo Speaker (1.5W x 2)
Numeric Keyboard
Fax/Modem/LAN/WLAN at 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth
Battery - 6 cells
Dimension & Weight - 37.9 x 25.5 x 3.03~3.67 cm (W x D x H)
Warranty & e-support - 1-year SAMSUNG Warranty

Not too bad for that price I must say.

But again as you know, the more power you want to more expensive the laptop / computer will be of course.

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:11 pm

I already have a 15" aircraft carrier. :lol: I'm looking for something more portable to replace my aging Pentium 3 beater.

The Thinkpad x100e is looking better and better. Thin-and-light power in a netbook form factor, with a non-glossy screen and TrackPoint... (It's built around AMD's Congo platform, so it has a 1.6 ghz dual core Athlon Neo with 1 MB L2 cache, paired to a Radeon HD 3200.)

e: The L625 Neo processor apparently works almost as fast as a C2D T5200.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup. ... +Core+L625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:22 pm

hahaha :lol:

Very funny.

Uh yea Thinkpads a great!

Just don't forget your BIOS password if you have one is all, because then you can't get in like one I bought from eBay noted *FAULTY*. Easy hack, but time consuming...
Last edited by Haunted360 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bicostp

Re: Netbook Questions (Not 10" 1.6 ghz Atom toys)

Post by bicostp » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Yeah I'm probably going to order a refurb from Lenovo's site once my next paycheck comes in. (mmm fully loaded baby Thinkpad for the price of a base model...)

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Re: Netbook Questions (Not 10" 1.6 ghz Atom toys)

Post by Jongamer » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:03 pm

I have myself a 15.4" Lenovo Thinkpad. Thing is an aircraft carrier, but with a 8600m Based Quadro, and a C2D, the thing is no slouch.

Do I also backup any decision to buy a Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad, because the Thinkpads are built like tanks.