Computer question

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

ninjamonkey
Computer question

Post by ninjamonkey » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:01 pm

I recently wanted to get Call of Duty Black Ops, and I was planning to build a computer. Thing is I was planning on using the Nvidia ION/ ATOM combo. I've been looking into the game and it seems that the ION won't be able to do it. Anyone got a good suggestion on a cheap setup for the new computer?

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Re: Computer question

Post by jdmlight » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:22 pm

ninjamonkey wrote:I recently wanted to get Call of Duty Black Ops, and I was planning to build a computer. Thing is I was planning on using the Nvidia ION/ ATOM combo. I've been looking into the game and it seems that the ION won't be able to do it. Anyone got a good suggestion on a cheap setup for the new computer?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... u=B69-0241
Add a decent graphics card, and that would be a capable gaming PC for pretty cheap. Edit: You will need to grab a CPU heatsink to go with that one as well.

Or, if you don't like that one, browse the "Barebone Kits" at Tigerdirect. They've got some really great package deals.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

ninjamonkey

Post by ninjamonkey » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:55 am

Awesome, thanks. Only thing is I am planning to stuff it into a metal case of sorts. Sort of like this Image or a pelican case with a monitor inside too.

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:18 pm

ninjamonkey wrote:Awesome, thanks. Only thing is I am planning to stuff it into a metal case of sorts. Sort of like this Image or a pelican case with a monitor inside too.
Oh heh. Sounds like a fun project. What's your budget for parts? I'll find you the best bang-for-your-buck as far as gaming is concerned. (and obviously you don't need a case, since you plan on putting it into a Pelican (or similar) case)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

ninjamonkey

Post by ninjamonkey » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:48 pm

there really isn't a budget; but there is a catch. My father would be buying me the parts since I asked for them as gift for mybirthday and some more parts for Christmas. So they can't be like 1000 bucks total. Last time I built one, it came out to 565 or so. Im trying to find cheaper. So how does 400 or lower sound?

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:51 pm

ninjamonkey wrote:there really isn't a budget; but there is a catch. My father would be buying me the parts since I asked for them as gift for mybirthday and some more parts for Christmas. So they can't be like 1000 bucks total. Last time I built one, it came out to 565 or so. Im trying to find cheaper. So how does 400 or lower sound?
That sounds like a perfectly workable budget. I'll have a parts list up soon.

ninjamonkey

Post by ninjamonkey » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks, man.

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:11 pm

Here ya go:
LG DVD burner - $18
Intel Pentium E5500 2.8ghz - $70 (basically a rebadged Core 2 Duo without Virtualization Technology)
Xigmatek S1283 CPU cooler - $35 (the heatsink I have, it's awesome)
Samsung F3 500gb hard drive - $55
G-skill DDR2 800 2x2gb RAM - $65
Gigabyte Micro ATX motherboard - $57
OCZ 500w PSU - $65 (minus $20 MIR)
ATI Radeon 5670 - $80
Turned out to be $445 - $20 rebate = $425, which is a smidge above your stated budget. But you can get a very similarly specced computer for much less money if you wait for Black Friday deals online. If you were to upgrade any one component here, I'd say upgrade to a better graphics card, as that will make the biggest difference for gaming. You also wouldn't have to get these exact components, buy what's a good deal on Black Friday. Here's a guideline:
DVD Burner - eh, they're so cheap to replace quality doesn't really matter
Processor - you could go Intel or AMD, I've listed the lowest processor I'd consider in the Intel line for a gaming PC (Intel Pentium Dual-Core)
CPU Cooler - anything other than OEM is usually fine
Hard drive - I would avoid Seagate as they've been having firmware issues lately, I'm not sure if they've been solved yet. I would also shy away from a "green" drive for your boot drive.
RAM - I'd get 4gb or more, brand doesn't really matter
Motherboard - good ones are ASUS and Gigabyte, there are a few other good brands but you won't have problems if you stick to these two
PSU - OCZ, Corsair, Cooler Master, and Seasonic are a few of the good brands. Anything here 500w + will be quality.
GPU - I'd get a Radeon 5xxx or 6xxx (if you can afford it). I wouldn't go lower than the 56xx for a gaming PC.

ninjamonkey

Post by ninjamonkey » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to look for some of these things at the microcenter by me.

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:38 pm

ninjamonkey wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to look for some of these things at the microcenter by me.
Microcenter often has good prices as well - especially on processors. Best of luck!

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:43 am

Tiger direct has an AMD Athlon X4 Quadcore PC for like $200. lol All you need to do is buy a vid card and 2gb more of ram. (An extra $100). Its a smaller pc, so it could fit.

ninjamonkey

Post by ninjamonkey » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:07 am

Whats is your opinions on Zotac?? good or bad? I found a zotac on microcenter.com and it has built in wifi and is compatible with intel core i5. Also, its pretty small. Heres a link to it if you want to check it out:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0345799

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:50 am

ninjamonkey wrote:Whats is your opinions on Zotac?? good or bad? I found a zotac on microcenter.com and it has built in wifi and is compatible with intel core i5. Also, its pretty small. Heres a link to it if you want to check it out:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0345799
I haven't personally used a Zotac board, but I've been reading a bunch about them for my next project. I've seen reviews go either way really, there are some who say it's fine, some who say it's not that great.

What size Pelican (or whatever brand) case are you going to get? Because if you can fit a Micro-ATX board in there, it would be better as they're cheaper and have more expansion ports. However, Mini-ITX is also an option if you were looking to make something smaller.

Just for reference:
Mini-ITX: Really small, usually something like 6.5"x6.5". Only one PCI/PCIe slot. (better make sure it's PCIe x16 otherwise you can't put a decent graphics card in there) This is intended to be a small board, so you pay a premium for size.

Micro-ATX: Still pretty small, but bigger than Mini-ITX. Usually something like 9.6"x7.6". Has four PCI/PCIe slots, will have at least one PCIe x16, with the other three slots varying by board. This is intended to be a less expensive version of full ATX for users who don't need the expandability, with the benefit of being smaller. Therefore, you're not paying a premium for size and usually these are the cheapest motherboards you can find.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about built-in wireless. Personally, since you're making this a super-custom portable gaming PC, I'd incorporate a Linksys WRT54g. Plug your motherboard's ethernet into that, then you can LAN with up to three other people on a wired connection (four other people if you install custom firmware onto it and enable the WAN port to be part of the switch - installing custom firmware on a WRT54g is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for this reason and many others). I've run many LAN parties/tournaments and believe me when I say you want wired networking for LAN parties. When you're not LANing with other friends, you can use this for wireless internet.

ninjamonkey

Post by ninjamonkey » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:16 am

Its kind of funny that you mention incorporating a Linksys WRT54g. I had one but it gave out last summer and I took it apart to examine it and just take a look at the inner working of a router. Any way that would be cool; I have to see what the options are for the cases.