How many times is it "safe" to split a VGA signal?

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

The_Silntdoogood
How many times is it "safe" to split a VGA signal?

Post by The_Silntdoogood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:38 am

I have a pile of old CRT screens that I'd like to do something with. They all work, I have about 10 now, and more to come as friends no longer use them. I discovered VGA splitters are very cheap to come by on amazon. Am I right to fear splitting the power source to a dozen screens over splitting a single VGA signal that much? I'm aware this setup would require a lot of power. I have a room that was rewired to support a larger power draw, and currently, my alarm clock, TV, Atari, and laptop charger are not challenging it. I am also aware this setup would get rather hot fast, just because of the nature of CRTs. If I am missing any other potential catastrophic obstacles, please mention them. Most likely, I'll only be running six to eight screens, if I do this; and at that, only when I have someone over to show the wall of screens.

(Hypothetically, lets say for one event, I wanted to run 15 CRT screens, at the most. After this event the setup will be disassembled. Would signal degrade, or cause a potentially dangerous amount of draw to my system or graphics card with this many screens?)

gamax92

Re: How many times is it "safe" to split a VGA signal?

Post by gamax92 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:42 am

you would need a device made just for that. I cant find one right now.
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:45 am

EDIT: I found this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CGsQ8wIwAQ#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:01 pm

As mentioned you need a powered vga splitter. You also need to determine what resolution the screens will be running at. Different splitters will allow higher/lower resolutions.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

The_Silntdoogood

Post by The_Silntdoogood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:22 pm

gamax92 wrote:EDIT: I found this: ...
Would I be able to run a generic two way splitter from each of the 4 connections from the "powered splitter" (as hailrazer described the unit)? I stumbled upon these before, the problem is I'd be buying up to three of these if I devoted a pure connection to each screen, and one costs more that I paid for the dozen screens and the computer. I only reinterate, this is not a setup I'd be using often. I'd rather run a cheaper alternative, but if this is the only was it 'can' be done, I'll just scrap the project. I'd consider purchasing one of these units if I can further split the signal going out. Especially if I could run it off a spit signal in the first place.

Thanks

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:26 pm

If you use an unpowered splitter, you will get a reduction in signal quality. The most noticeable difference will be the the picture on the screen won't be as bright It may be acceptable for you with the monitors adjusted properly, though.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

The_Silntdoogood

Post by The_Silntdoogood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:02 pm

nevermind1534 wrote:If you use an unpowered splitter, you will get a reduction in signal quality. The most noticeable difference will be the the picture on the screen won't be as bright It may be acceptable for you with the monitors adjusted properly, though.
If a reduction in brightness, and maybe some resolution problems is all I am facing, that is very acceptable for the scarce instances I'll be running everything. My main fear was it would create a damaging draw on my graphics card or on the oher screens. (more so my graphics card, it and my wifi card are the only parts I bought new) Since no one has voiced a concern there, I presume that won't be a problem. I'll guess I'll procrastinate buying the powered splitter until I see what the quality looks like underpowered. If I need it, I'll invest then.

Thanks everyone!

The_Silntdoogood

Post by The_Silntdoogood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:28 pm

May I ask, If I wanted to make these function as one device, what would be the name of the unit? I know I can't possibly have better resolution than a single screen without a graphics card that supports four separate outputs, but how would I go about finding/making a unit to divide a single signal (vga, composite, or otherwise) into four to 12ish screens? Again, I'm not expecting any DPI superstar, but how could it be done?