PC FPS GUN

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

ninjamonkey
PC FPS GUN

Post by ninjamonkey » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:28 am

Hey guys,

I have a question. I am currently making an arcade style FPS gun for the PC. I have a design, but I dont know it if is the best for the situation. This project is being done using a keyboard, mouse, and an webcam modified to track an IR LED. Right now I plan on using an d-pad sort of system for the W,A,S and D buttons. Does anyone have a better idea? Also, anyone have an idea for the case design? Ihave my own I just want to see if anyone elses opinion on this.

metalcookie

Re: PC FPS GUN

Post by metalcookie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:48 am

Just use a gyromouse for movement tracking. For WASD maybe you could make something the player could stand on and have 4 big buttons for WASD. I've never done anything of the sort but I think a gyromouse would be much better than what you had in mind.
Citizen Kane

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:15 am

I know there are drivers that let you use a Wii controller over Bluetooth on your PC for motion control, but I'm not sure if it supports the Sensor Bar or if it solely relies on accelerometers. :?

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:54 pm

bicostp wrote:I know there are drivers that let you use a Wii controller over Bluetooth on your PC for motion control, but I'm not sure if it supports the Sensor Bar or if it solely relies on accelerometers. :?
Most programs to use the Wiimote on a PC can use a sensor bar, or work without it. Some are able to track from 1 to 4 IR targets, instead of just the usual 2.

Another option, if you feel like not having to use additional CPU cycles to track with a web cam and spending a little more you could get an AimTrak module.

See also:
The PC Game Gun:

Here's a separate how to on making a FPS style gun for PC, which seems pretty close to what you were wanting to do.

ninjamonkey

Post by ninjamonkey » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:21 pm

The way the wii-mote one works is you make a sensor bar out of ir leds and use glovepie scripts and usb bluetooth dongle. Thats too easy. I am making a strictly computer device. I like that idea. its pretty sick. I've seem it before, but seems like i would look stupid if i tried to use that in my dorm room.