Help with a flash drive

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Gu1tarister
Help with a flash drive

Post by Gu1tarister » Sun May 23, 2010 11:01 pm

Long story short my keys, some cool keychains, and my flash drive with some important files on it were stolen. This pisses me off.

So in order to try to prevent this from happening again, I came up with an idea to make a simple script or autorun of some sort to help me track another stolen flash drive. I did a few days worth of research and couldn't figure out how I'd do this.

What I did think of, though, is:
1. Flash drive is inserted
2. Upon insertion, a small program runs and in the Command Prompt puts in "ipconfig"
3. When the information comes up, it is grabbed and sent is sent to me
4. I can then put the information in any of the numerous websites that tell you where the IP is from

Any help at all is greatly appreciated and I am aware that this might be a stretch or just flat out :facepalm:

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Re: Help with a flash drive

Post by bassmasta » Sun May 23, 2010 11:24 pm

http://www.gadgettheft.com/
http://lifehacker.com/239662/recover-stolen-gadgets-with-gadgettheft wrote:Windows only: Freeware application and web utility GadgetTheft tracks your stolen gadgets by placing an autorunning application for your iPod, digital camera, or other USB device.
When your gadget is stolen, you login to the GadgetTheft web site and turn on tracking for that device (you can set up several devices in one account). The next time your gadget is plugged in, GadgetTheft will attempt to recover the computer's IP address, location, Windows username, and computer name, among a few other tidbits. This information won't necessarily be enough to hunt down your iPod, but it's worth a try (people sometimes use surprisingly identifying usernames).
GadgetTheft currently only works on Windows computers and requires the thief to fall for an autorun trick that asks users to install a USB driver whenever the USB device is plugged in. Technically, then, GadgetTheft can be considered spyware - though it's a spyware designed to actually work for you, in this case.
Currently the entire GadgetTheft service is free to use, but a premium service with more features is supposedly on the way. While there's absolutely no way to guarantee that you'll ever see your gadget again (a savvy thief would almost certainly format the drive first thing), GadgetTheft provides an interesting line of defense that is definitely a step up from nothing. GadgetTheft works on any USB device plugged into a Windows computer.
There's also iHound, which apparently now is just for iPhone/iPad, it used to be for iPods. But that's an alternative.
IP location tracking is not perfect, just so you know. It can tell you the general area, but probably wont let you track down the thief's address.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Gu1tarister

Re: Help with a flash drive

Post by Gu1tarister » Sun May 23, 2010 11:38 pm

Yeah, I checked out iHound earlier today and was disappointed when I found that they had discontinued their service for flash drives :/

As far as GadgetTrak goes, it's probably my best bet.