Apple USB Modem on vista?

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Thornwillow
Apple USB Modem on vista?

Post by Thornwillow » Tue May 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Hello, my internal modem in my laptop decided to just stop working one day. I tried everything to fix it, but no luck.

I just found a Apple USB modem, this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Modem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anyways, i found it in my garage, and i put it in my vista laptop and it said it needed the driver to run it. I looked everywhere online for a driver, and im having a terrible time.

I am wondering, is it possible to get this to work on my vista laptop? If so, can someone please teach me how.

Thank you :D

FatylPCs

Re: Apple USB Modem on vista?

Post by FatylPCs » Sun May 23, 2010 4:05 pm

there should be no reason that it wont work. theres only the matter of getting driver support for it wich i dont think should prove too difficult

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sun May 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Hmm, I'll try looking through my Bootcamp drivers (on the Leopard/Snow Leopard install disc) to see if I can find that driver in there.

Edit: Looked on the Snow Leopard disc and I couldn't find it. I'll try the Leopard disc (I know that one had Boot Camp drivers).

Edit2: I just downloaded the Boot Camp Drivers Pack from the Apple website. I extracted it and unfortunately the drivers are not easily separable. You could try installing the whole drivers pack, although that is quite overkill. Maybe if you point the Vista driver wizard to the Apple Boot Camp .exe it would work?
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Thornwillow

Post by Thornwillow » Tue May 25, 2010 7:34 pm

So i should install that entire pack to my windows vista and it wont screw anything up?

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Tue May 25, 2010 8:23 pm

Thornwillow wrote:So i should install that entire pack to my windows vista and it wont screw anything up?
I'm not really much of a Windows guy, but I'd say make sure you create a restore point before installing all of those drivers. Technically, most of the drivers included in that bundle are for normal PC hardware (standard PC ethernet controllers, NVIDIA/ATI graphics drivers, etc), so you should be fine. I would think if the driver isn't needed it won't be used.

Or, if you have a computer you don't care about as much, you could try installing the Boot Camp Drivers Pack there and see if the USB modem works.

Edit: Googled and found this:
However, the internal guts for that device is apparently a Motorola UbiSurf SM56 Software Modem.
You could see if you can find drivers for that.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.