My WiFi died after installing a USB Hub

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Aguiluz
My WiFi died after installing a USB Hub

Post by Aguiluz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:13 pm

I've been using a legit Windows 7 Ultimate for my laptop for a few months now. So far, no problems. Then I decided to buy a USB hub. I plugged the usb hub on one of the laptop's ports, and plugged in a keyboard and a mouse and I also plugged in the power adaptor of the hub. It worked.

Then, I tested if the hub will work if the power adaptor removed. Yes, I've heard of stories of burnt out USB ports using unpowered hubs, but then again, it's just a keyboard and mouse and the hub itself driving a tiny green LED. "It's only a KB and Mouse, how much power can these things suck up?" Well, I yanked the power adaptor and it still worked.

Since I rarely turn my laptop off, I left it like that overnight, then I left it for the whole day, and I come home at 9PM and the hub, keyboard and mouse were still working. The internet connection, however, was dead.

So I tried a "repair" then a reboot, then I checked the Device Manager. The Wifi card is still there, but it simply doesn't recieve or detect any access points.

Any help? I'm browsing on my PS3 by the way.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: My WiFi died after installing a USB Hub

Post by bicostp » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Check the network manager to see if your WiFi adapter is disabled.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:26 am

It's enabled for sure.

I tried a system restore, and it somehow failed because of a locked file. Still no internet access.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:58 am

For any person having this problem, I would suggest booting a Linux distro and scanning for APs then booting back to windows. That's how mines worked again.