Finding an extra +12v

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

gen2fish
Finding an extra +12v

Post by gen2fish » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:00 pm

I have an idea for a computer mod, and all is going well save for one thing. I need to find an extra +12v to power this addition. Any ideas where I can find it in my laptop?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: Finding an extra +12v

Post by vskid » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:10 pm

What are you doing and what model is the laptop? Laptops have very little standardization, so what works for one probably won't work for any others.

gen2fish

Post by gen2fish » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:14 pm

I have a crazy idea of adding another monitor to a laptop

I found a controller card here;
http://store.lcdparts.net/FIX-30S-1LVDS-Kit_p_3270.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and need +12v to power it. I will be testing it on a HP Craptop dv6000

Thanks for your quick reply too!

gen2fish

Post by gen2fish » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Let me rephrase, I'm not looking for where on my specific motherboard would I find it. I am asking for how I would go about finding it. Would it be best to pull straight from the battery, or find an alternate source attached to a device. Could I tap into my USB ports? Just some ideas and how I would go about testing for it would be great.

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:04 pm

Usb ports only put out 5v, so that won't work. You could just use a multimeter, but going around probing stuff while it's on is a good way to short something. You best bet is to go straight from the battery and add a switch.

Although this depends on what the voltage of the battery is, and what voltage the screen takes. You can usually run a screen on lower power then it says. You may be able to run the screen off of 5 volts, depending on how big it is. Say your screen only needs 5 volts to run and less then 500mA, then you can run it from usb.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage