I finally accomplished something

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

metalcookie
I finally accomplished something

Post by metalcookie » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:33 pm

Yep, I did.
after my failed portable n64 project (I actually did get it running on a 9 volt adapter, but I was creating everything else without a definite plan. That plus the lack of money contributed to its ultimate failure) I began looking into building a computer. My good old laptop of 3 years was failing on me, and I needed something better, and on a budget. My first attempts started as just wishlists on Newegg, and they were all a very terrible combination of parts. that was all back in March of 2009, and after a few months I had forgotten all about my little computer project.

Then, school started, and I was attending a tech high school, geared towards a career in technology. As I went around campus, I saw a student help desk, and on it was a computer in pieces. Then my project came into light as thanksgiving break ended, and we had moved into a new house. I again tried to make a wishlist on newegg, this time spending hours of research on every part, and managed to build a good one under the bodget of 400 dollars. as weeks passed by, that budget went to 425, then 450, and then 500, and was pushing towards 600.

Well, now to the computer.

AMD Athlon X2 CPU @3.0 Ghz Dual core
Sapphire Radeon HD 5750
MSI 790X-G45 Mb
4 (2x2GB) Gb DDR3 RAM
320 Gb hard drive
585 watt PSU
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit

All of this runs Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Crysis Wars and everything else I've tried happily maxed out at 1600 by 900 res

the complete list of parts:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=11540545

A video of it running:
http://s713.photobucket.com/albums/ww13 ... I_0106.flv
Citizen Kane

markyb86
PSN Username:MarkyB94

Re: I finally accomplished something

Post by markyb86 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:05 pm

To get the most out of the RAM you might want switch up to Windows 7 64-Bit. But if its working good for you already, no need to.

metalcookie

Re: I finally accomplished something

Post by metalcookie » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 am

I will switch to 64 bit when most games do. I really wanted to get 64 bit, but I was laready broke, and my friend had given me an update disc instead of a full install, so that really made me broke. My birthday is coming up in 5 days, and I should get some money, so I'll probably Crossfire my 5750.
Citizen Kane