Which Antivirus Software do you use ? Why?

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

mootoo
Re: Which Antivirus Software do you use ? Why?

Post by mootoo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:52 pm

no MS no viruses. Im on linux

Gaara Ichimaru

Post by Gaara Ichimaru » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:44 am

I'm Using Norton, as it came with my PC, I can tell you for a fact, though, that I will not be using it when it expires next month, I shat be installing Linux and finding a better, more efficient alternative.

I must say though, that the alerts are relatively frequent and a report is published almost monthly for me, so not too bad on that front.

The only reason I'm not too keen on it is because it failed to notice a Trojan which was later discovered by my secondary software Macafee ^.^
Gaara Ichimaru

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Don't run two antivirus programs at the same time. They just fight each other.

Uninstall Norton or replace both with a free one like AntiVir or AVG and I guarantee you your PC will run properly again. Windows isn't causing the slowdown, it's all the garbage the OEMs load it up with.

Gaara Ichimaru

Post by Gaara Ichimaru » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm

bicostp wrote:Don't run two antivirus programs at the same time. They just fight each other.

Uninstall Norton or replace both with a free one like AntiVir or AVG and I guarantee you your PC will run properly again. Windows isn't causing the slowdown, it's all the garbage the OEMs load it up with.
Thanks and I think il just install Linux and not bother at all if I do it'll be macafee anyhow.

Plus I only had Norton open, when I ran scans I did them with macafee after closing Norton :) Whether that makes a difference or not I do not know.

-Gaara
Gaara Ichimaru

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Doesn't make a difference when both have their resident shields running simultaneously.

Norton is system-bogging garbage anyway. :lol:

I don't see how installing and dealing with a pain-in-the-butt OS built around 30 year old in-jokes and fighting is easier than just uninstalling Norton... Especially when there's the Norton Removal Tool:
http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/ ... N&ln=en_US" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gaara Ichimaru

Post by Gaara Ichimaru » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:08 pm

bicostp wrote:Doesn't make a difference when both have their resident shields running simultaneously.

Norton is system-bogging garbage anyway. :lol:

I don't see how installing and dealing with a pain-in-the-butt OS built around 30 year old in-jokes and fighting is easier than just uninstalling Norton... Especially when there's the Norton Removal Tool:
http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/ ... N&ln=en_US" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Basically I'm fed up with Norton and Windows, Windows because you cant go 5 minutes without a virus and norton because when I get a virus it just goes to sleep, Norton is kinda like the guy who sits around getting paid for doing nothing and advertises himself when he's meant to be working! :lol: Sorry for the rage-essay :?

-Gaara
Gaara Ichimaru

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:28 pm

If you can't go online 5 minutes with Windows without getting a virus, you're doing something wrong (or already picked up an infection). :lol:

Desktop Linux is not a 1:1 replacement for Windows/OSX. It's buggy, the UI is inconsistent (any given program could be written for any one of a dozen widget subsystems), the "community" would rather argue semantics than fix problems (ALSA/PulseAudio/OSS, the dozen desktop environments...), and most support questions get answers that boil down to "works for me". :|

But if you insist, I highly recommend dual booting instead of erasing the entire hard drive. That leaves Windows in place if you ever want to use it again, and you don't have to worry about losing all your documents. (Of course under any OS, regular backups are a good idea.)

Just be careful of what you click on, check URLs to make sure you're not going to a scam redirect, don't trust any "antivirus" pop-ups that don't come from your AV, and if something is too good to be true, it is. Common sense is the best antivirus. ;)

Gaara Ichimaru

Post by Gaara Ichimaru » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:34 pm

bicostp wrote:If you can't go online 5 minutes with Windows without getting a virus, you're doing something wrong (or already picked up an infection). :lol:

Desktop Linux is not a 1:1 replacement for Windows/OSX. It's buggy, the UI is inconsistent (any given program could be written for any one of a dozen widget subsystems), the "community" would rather argue semantics than fix problems (ALSA/PulseAudio/OSS, the dozen desktop environments...), and most support questions get answers that boil down to "works for me". :|

But if you insist, I highly recommend dual booting instead of erasing the entire hard drive. That leaves Windows in place if you ever want to use it again, and you don't have to worry about losing all your documents. (Of course under any OS, regular backups are a good idea.)

Just be careful of what you click on, check URLs to make sure you're not going to a scam redirect, don't trust any "antivirus" pop-ups that don't come from your AV, and if something is too good to be true, it is. Common sense is the best antivirus. ;)
Okai, thanks very much for the advice, IMHO right now I'm getting the impression that the linux dev's are a bunch of guys with a grudge for some reason or another, so I guess I may not go with that option, and Yeah, I'l get the mcafee thanks again! :)

-Gaara
Gaara Ichimaru

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:20 am

Avira AntiVir. Free, fast, light weight, and works great.

In all my life running windows PCs I have never had issues with spyware or viruses.

Linux computers can get a virus. Its called upgrading your hardware and realizing the drivers don't work.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

avert1

Post by avert1 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:46 am

Raizer04 wrote:Bitdefender....BEHOLD!
+1
Man, that's a sexy antivirus.

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:45 am

Rekarp wrote:Linux computers can get a virus. Its called upgrading your hardware and realizing the drivers don't work.
Actually, every Linux computer is infected with a virus.

mootoo

Post by mootoo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:56 pm

Yes U right crap is bugless and consistent :) .Users don´t need support forums bc it´s perfect OS. No problems no need to update anything .Allways perfect with any HW XD.

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:47 am

My own machine uses Mcafee as I get it free through MSN (friend's account)

My Home Theater uses AVG, and I typically install AVG on client machines.

FWIW the computer show I goto religously uses Kapersky, and these are guys that i actually respect. They are "in the know" about dealing with frontline virus issues, so I would take their word for it. I just ensure that I don't download viruses on my computer :P

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:39 pm

For windows: I Use Malaware Bytes and Prevx and Avast.
Malaware bytes does most of the work.
Prevx pick up stuff malware bytes misses.
Avast is broken and wont update. (2/28/2010).

I wish i had linux. Less Viruses. more customizabilitly. The thing is...
My 486 computer (15 years old) has linux and never crashed or "kernel panic" ever.
My New Computer with linux (not main) crashes all the time. "kernel panic"x67 times.
Old Linux Rules.
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

DyNe

Post by DyNe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:07 pm

i use none of those, i use ZenOK Free Antivirus that have specialized tasks than one "take care of them all"

it does not slow my computer down