USB and PXE XP and Win7 Installs Respectively...

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

MasterPrime
USB and PXE XP and Win7 Installs Respectively...

Post by MasterPrime » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:21 am

Setup:
2 desktop computers hooked up through a Linksys WRT54GS. Both running a pirate copy of XPSP3 (meaning no updates)
I now have a legitimate copy of windows XP and 7 that I would like to install but I've never been able to get a bootable USB to work on either of these computers and I'm lackin in ODD's at the moment. I'm not sure if the crap dell dimension 2400 has the ability to PXE boot but I know it does have the ability to USB boot.

For PXE Boot:
I have downloaded tftpd32. I'm confused by it's setup and why it's not recognizing the other computer on my network. I'm not really familiar with this program and can't find any helpful documentation for my specific purposes. I keep seeing a reference to making the IP 192.168.1.5 but I can't find any confirmation that the program requires that for the server.
I could use a disc for this machine but I'd prefer to do it over the network. Mainly for educational purposes.

For USB Boot:
I'm using this article to create the bootable disc. It doesn't recognize the USB as bootable media. I've tried wintoflash as well but it isn't recognized either. I've tried multiple brands and sizes of USB drives formatted will all the different options for file system. A friend is letting me borrow his Kingston 2GB tonite and those are reported to work with wintoflash and xp so I plan on trying that this evening. Anyone have experience with this?

markyb86
PSN Username:MarkyB94

Re: USB and PXE XP and Win7 Installs Respectively...

Post by markyb86 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:12 pm

Pretty sure the dell will PXE boot, but to install XP or 7 from PXE they have to be set up through RIS on either Windows Server 2003 or 2008. The USB installation is very easy if you can get it right.
Check this out for help with the USB.
http://arstechnica.com/business/news/20 ... rive.ars/2