Help me get booted.

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

MasterPrime
Help me get booted.

Post by MasterPrime » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:10 pm

Built a new compy (some old parts) because the PSU in my old one died.

i put the system disk from my old computer in there and my intention was to install XP to a separate partition so I could save those files. I am now at the point I'm going to get an enclosure

I've tried multiple legit and burned copies of windows CD's. I've created a plethora of bootable USB's. I get the same error with all of them.

Code: Select all

DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

Code: Select all

Configuration:
EVGA nForce 730i
Pentium 4 2.8GHz
4GB DDR2 800
I know it's able to boot to windows because my system disk will start to load windows then bsod.

My question is this. What other alternatives do I have. No CD/DVD and no USB boot. I have thought of PXE and plan on trying it after work this evening. As a contingent, would I be able to install an image on the system disc inside another computer and put it in my new one?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: Help me get booted.

Post by vskid » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:30 pm

Check your boot order. Make sure the CD/USB drive is before the hard drive.

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:52 pm

vskid wrote:Check your boot order. Make sure the CD/USB drive is before the hard drive.
have done that. I've even disabled everything but the media I was trying to boot from and changed the order to something that might work. Still the same error.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:49 pm

Have you tried another disc drive?

Can that motherboard boot off USB?

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:00 pm

bicostp wrote:Have you tried another disc drive?

Can that motherboard boot off USB?
1) I have tried every ODD in my house to no avail. It recognizes they are there but will not start setup.
2) I have confirmed with EVGA Tech support that the board will boot USB.
The MOBO

to go into more detail: All drives are recognized by the BIOS. POST goes off without a hitch it just won't boot a windows CD or a windows USB.

like I said in my op, next step is a PXE boot.

I am still wondering about installing a drive that is imaged using ghost or driveIMG. will I have the same issue with that? it has no problem loading my HDD with the OS from another computer on it save for the fact that it's from another computer.

edit: I would like to point out that I am a confused A+ certified depot tech and I'm pretty good at my job.

knowledgegranted

Post by knowledgegranted » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:14 pm

In my experience with installing/booting OS discs is that they weirdly don't work sometimes. Download a program called imgburn, I have burned over 200 DVD boot discs that are all fully working. Set it at the slowest burning speed possible.

-DVD burn image
-Bad BSOD
-Etc

Start with the cheapest solution first and try it with multiple procedures, including different DVD's and burning speeds.
An enthusiast in all of my interests, computers, consumer electronics, engineering, politics, economics, and global affairs.

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:58 pm

Ok. I feel like a huge idiot.

my BIOS added the device into the boot options in addition to the option for CDROM.

I got it figured out. put vista on and I'm getting 7 for tonite. Thanks for the help.