Is this 7 inch mini laptop good?

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

tom61
Re: Is this 7 inch mini laptop good?

Post by tom61 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:58 pm

Axaj wrote:
tom61 wrote:
vskid wrote:They're just crap that Chinese companies are putting out to try to cash in on the netbook market and take advantage of average Joe.
Not really, they're just targeting a market different than what you're thinking. In the developing world price is way more important than speed or compatibility. It's hard to find sites in English that carry netbooks like these, much less targeting the average person in this market.
Considering this is MIPS, I'd say vskid is right. Maybe not if it was ARM.
What made you come to this conclusion?

Axaj

Post by Axaj » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:58 pm

tom61 wrote:
Axaj wrote:
tom61 wrote:
vskid wrote:They're just crap that Chinese companies are putting out to try to cash in on the netbook market and take advantage of average Joe.
Not really, they're just targeting a market different than what you're thinking. In the developing world price is way more important than speed or compatibility. It's hard to find sites in English that carry netbooks like these, much less targeting the average person in this market.
bicostp wrote:Eew. MIPS based.
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar

NateN34
Steam ID:NateN34

Post by NateN34 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:07 pm

Axaj wrote:
tom61 wrote:
Axaj wrote:
tom61 wrote:
:x
overlordlink wrote:alright well i was kinda deabating whether or not to finish my SnesP, Or to slightly romance something that existed to met my needs but it appears as if im gonna stick with the SnesP. At least for now lol

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:18 pm

its true, though. mips is basically useless since nothing is coded for it. :wink:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:13 pm

Axaj wrote:
tom61 wrote:
Axaj wrote:
tom61 wrote:
LOL. I wasn't asking you how you came to the conclusion it was MIPS based, but why being MIPS based means it was intended to rip off people in first world countries?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:59 pm

why being MIPS based means it was intended to rip off people in first world countries?
1. That's what all of those cheap Chinese pieces of rip-off tat are for.

2. Nothing is coded for MIPS. If processor architectures were OSes, x86 would be Windows, ARM would be OS X, and MIPS would be some basement dweller's custom MeTooBuntu distribution.

3. The processor is slow as hell, the screen is crap, and it barely has any RAM or storage space

4. You can buy a decent used real netbook for around the same price.

5. The OLPC is ARM based, costs around the same, and is intended for "developing countries"

6. There are far more important things developing countries need than computers. FOOD, medicine, education, infrastructure, governments that aren't corrupt...

7. If they're really interested in giving technology to third world countries, they should be recycling discarded computers from first world countries. It would be a much better option to throw a custom OS onto a 1 GB CompactFlash card, put it into a discarded corporate Dell, and send it over than give them some crappy little toy that's incompatible with 99% of the rest of the world. (The actual computers themselves would be better, too.)

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:05 pm

@bicostp

Point 6 is a good one, though, once those needs are met, or are getting close to met, computers can help with the move to first world.

Point 7 tends to end up more e-waste disposal than anything. There are lots of lots of 'recycling' programs that are supposed to help developing countries end up sending what they can't resell here in the first world, and a large portion ends up not working.

With points 1-5 I disagree with as being issues as severe as you see them. Difference in opinion I suppose.

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:01 pm

Isn't the PSP MIPS based?
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:37 pm

The PSP also has its firmware and 3D acceleration hardware. ;)

DarkTronix

Post by DarkTronix » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:09 pm

I would personally buy a Dell mini 10v you can get them on eBay for $250 with 160gb hdd 10" screen, 1gb of ram (upgradeable to 2gb) 1.66ghz processor not to mention it is 93% keyboard and my personal favorite you can run osx on it (hackintosh)
-DarkTronix-

NateN34
Steam ID:NateN34

Post by NateN34 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

DarkTronix wrote:I would personally buy a Dell mini 10v you can get them on eBay for $250 with 160gb hdd 10" screen, 1gb of ram (upgradeable to 2gb) 1.66ghz processor not to mention it is 93% keyboard and my personal favorite you can run osx on it (hackintosh)
Don't bump old topics. :|
overlordlink wrote:alright well i was kinda deabating whether or not to finish my SnesP, Or to slightly romance something that existed to met my needs but it appears as if im gonna stick with the SnesP. At least for now lol

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:13 pm

NateN34 wrote:
DarkTronix wrote:I would personally buy a Dell mini 10v you can get them on eBay for $250 with 160gb hdd 10" screen, 1gb of ram (upgradeable to 2gb) 1.66ghz processor not to mention it is 93% keyboard and my personal favorite you can run osx on it (hackintosh)
Yes, old topics that haven't been posted in for 1.5 hours. :roll: Don't backseat moderate, especially when you're wrong.

DarkTronix

Post by DarkTronix » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:39 pm

vskid wrote:
NateN34 wrote:
Yes, old topics that haven't been posted in for 1.5 hours. :roll: Don't backseat moderate, especially when you're wrong.
That you I thought the purpose Ben Heck put this forum up was to help people nice to see there are people who still get on forums to help
-DarkTronix-