Got a Dell Laptop? What's the charger pinout?

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Aguiluz
Got a Dell Laptop? What's the charger pinout?

Post by Aguiluz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:20 pm

So as you might see, Dells have propriety charging plugs. Instead of an outer ring (negative) and an inner hole (positive), the Dell connector has an outer ring (negative), Inner ring (positive) and a really really thin center pin (???).

I need to know what the center pin does. The original power supply on the dell conked out. I grafted an old 19V laptop PSU to the connector, leaving the center pin unconnected. The laptop boots but won't charge. Maybe it's 5 volts which I can give by putting a 7805 inline? Or (hope not) some propriety handshaking.

z_s

Re: Got a Dell Laptop? What's the charger pinout?

Post by z_s » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:55 am

i was wondering the same thing. on my charger the pin broke so i was thinking about cutting the tip off my car chaarger and putting molex connectors on the car and home charger with the female end on the plug

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:09 am

I recently found that out when I discovered that my PSU was a pirate PSU.
http://blog.gg8.se/wordpress/2009/10/20 ... -dell-psu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The answer is that the center pin is used for confirming that the PSU is genuine. I don't know exactly how it is connected in a genuine PSU, but in my pirate PSU, it was connected to a chip that is basically a serial memory. The memory chip has only two pins, one for ground, and one which is used for power, and data transfer, two ways. (It works like this, first you apply a voltage for a small period of time, which charges a capacitor in the chip, then the chip will return data over the same pin)

In my case the memory chip was housed in a TO-92 package, with one leg unconnected.
I'm guessing a genuine PSU won't use a TO-92, but I don't know. If you can manage to open the old PSU, you might be able to find the chip and reuse it, unless it's surface mount. Follow the thin wire.

Oh and a word about that wire, it doesn't have regular coating, instead it has some sort of plastic layer on it which is difficult to solder through. One might not even realize it's a wire.

Oh, and before you go to these great lengths, check if there's a BIOS setting for this. My BIOS just warned me, but allowed it to charge. If your battery is dry as well, try removing the battery, then plugging in the PSU. That might make the computer more willing to boot and allow you check if there's a setting you can change in the bios.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:39 pm

I've fixed this already.

I cracked open the original PSU and snapped the circuit board in two pieces. I put the pieces with the surface-mount components in an enclosure and wired it in.

It works. ^^

z_s

Post by z_s » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:10 pm

i just went on amazon and spent $16 including shipping on a new oem power cable

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:36 am

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.