I have a couple questions

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

logimastertech
I have a couple questions

Post by logimastertech » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:15 pm

So I am going to build a giant media/web server soon. I plan on getting a compatible lga 775, core i5/i7, or core i7 board

I plan on getting a compatible motherboard for osx. Reason is I don't want to deal with viruses from Windows Or I could run the option of ubuntu/other linux distro. I would go for a Apple Mac Pro, but I allready got one at my dads, and two, I need to custom make the case for my own hot swapping if possible on a raid.

My custom would be having a raid 5 or 6 i guess, and have every half of an hour have the data copy over to a backup drive in case a drive fails. I need to know if that is possible.

One thing I saw was a the ssd raid of awsomness using 24 samsung drives into a raid and having 2gigs a second i beleive for the write/read time. I could do a similar project.

Im probally going to go with ssd's because in the event of something shaking, they wouldnt be affected.

If I get a server motherboard, it has to be fully compatible with osx like i said. Also, Ill probally be upgrading my moms network to a fios of 50/20 a month, or would going with a T1 network be better? Give me your ideas

Biased

Re: I have a couple questions

Post by Biased » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:32 pm

Sorry if I seem like a pointless idiot, but don't forget that SSDs have set amount of read/write cycles. They're faster, but have a highly disproportionate price for the amount of storage you get compared to Hard Disk Drives.