Lock this please!

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

mikeyg
PSN Username:mikeyg95
Re: Making My Computer Faster?

Post by mikeyg » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:18 pm

vskid wrote:
mikeyg wrote:What should I use to host pics?
http://www.tinypic.com
Wasn't working at first, now it is.

There you go...

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:38 pm

Eeew, only 512 MB of RAM. You definitely need more. I recommend at least 1 gig, but 2 will give you more than enough room to work with. Your computer needs DDR 1 RAM. Here's NewEgg's page for RAM that runs at the same speed as yours (so you know it will work no problem). Throw a 1 gig stick in in addition to the 512 that's in there and you'll be set. Installing it is really easy too, just pop it in the slot straight and make sure both of the plastic tabs lock into place.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:58 pm

Looks like you might need a better video card, what it has now is yuck. I have a desktop that is just barely better than yours, it handles most stuff fairly well. The biggest difference is that mine has integrated Nvidia graphics.
Honestly, if its anything like mine, its not worth it to upgrade it. You'd get more bang for your buck if you spent ~$100 on a used desktop.

@bic, don't be hatin' on the lame RAM, the laptop I'm using right now only has 256MB. :(

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:02 pm

when screenshotting message boxes, use [ALT] + [Print Scrn] - only captures the active window.
that's your cool new trick for the day.

now open up your knowledge basket because here it comes:

buy a new case. buy a motherboard for that case. something that fits what you want.

once you have the mobo buy the appropriately socketed CPU for that motherboard. Intel has stable clock times while AMD is good for overclocking. either way, I suggest 2.8GHz or higher.

buy RAM. get the 4GB. newegg's got it for cheap and awesome (don't forget the heat spreaders).

That's pretty much all you need. sound cards are a dime a dozen and the rest of the crap from your computer can be migrated or replaced slowly. If you just need a faster computer you need more RAM and a better CPU.

mikeyg

Post by mikeyg » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:17 pm

MasterPrime wrote:BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH BLAH.
Simple tricks, that's very expensive and not worth my while. I'm 13, and do not have that kind of money to spend....

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:07 pm

So has the computer always sucked at playing videos, or is it something that just started happening? What videos are you trying to play (file format, bitrate, etc)? Give us details, we aren't sitting in front of the computer and we can't read your mind.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:12 pm

If you're trying to do videos in Media Player, you might need a proper video card. Note this probably won't help on sites like YouTube and Hulu, because as far as I remember Flash doesn't use GPU video acceleration. Of course, you can't expect to drop anything super-fancy in there since it's pretty old and you probably have a relatively marginal power supply.

With a 1.6 ghz sinlge-core processor and integrated S3 video chipset, you're not going to have blistering performance (HD Quicktime is definitely out of the question) but you should be able to watch most videos fine.

Have you tried any of the free utilities we've recommended yet?

At least get yourself an additional gig of RAM. You can get the right kind for less than 40 bucks and you'll see quite a difference in general usability. :|

smitty

Post by smitty » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:19 pm

All it takes is some simple math! And a CD-r. Computer+Linux=Linux Computer. Linux Computer - Windows = AW3Z0M3N3ZZZ!!!!!!!!!!1!!1!!1!1!!!ONE!! :lol: But seriously, Windows uses more CPU power than my Wii. And my computer doesn't even have that much power. Well, maybe it doesn't use that much, but... I remember I had a CPU speed thingy on my Google Desktop in XP, it like never went below 20% or 30%. I saw this morning my CPU checker thing (on linux!!!) said 2%. And, in closing, W1nd0wz muz7 D13!!!!!!!!1!!!11!!!one!!1! :lol:
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:22 pm

smitty wrote:All it takes is some simple math! And a CD-r. Computer+Linux=Linux Computer. Linux Computer - Windows = AW3Z0M3N3ZZZ!!!!!!!!!!1!!1!!1!1!!!ONE!! :lol: But seriously, Windows uses more CPU power than my Wii. And my computer doesn't even have that much power. Well, maybe it doesn't use that much, but... I remember I had a CPU speed thingy on my Google Desktop in XP, it like never went below 20% or 30%. I saw this morning my CPU checker thing (on linux!!!) said 2%. And, in closing, W1nd0wz muz7 D13!!!!!!!!1!!!11!!!one!!1! :lol:

....................What did you just say?

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:03 pm

snowpenguin wrote:
smitty wrote:All it takes is some simple math! And a CD-r. Computer+Linux=Linux Computer. Linux Computer - Windows = AW3Z0M3N3ZZZ!!!!!!!!!!1!!1!!1!1!!!ONE!! :lol: But seriously, Windows uses more CPU power than my Wii. And my computer doesn't even have that much power. Well, maybe it doesn't use that much, but... I remember I had a CPU speed thingy on my Google Desktop in XP, it like never went below 20% or 30%. I saw this morning my CPU checker thing (on linux!!!) said 2%. And, in closing, W1nd0wz muz7 D13!!!!!!!!1!!!11!!!one!!1! :lol:

i think he is saying that the only way to make your computerr faster is to install linux, and ditch windows. also, he is ranting about how windows, "uses more cpu power than my wii" :roll:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:08 pm

I'm not completely sure....
i think he is saying that the only way to make your computerr faster is to install linux, and ditch windows. also, he is ranting about how windows, "uses more cpu power than my wii" :roll:
well, it's not the only way, but it's my favorite way. :) apparently my computer's dictionary only recognizes the British form of "favorite"... weird. and although i may have said my computer uses more cpu power than a wii, i was clearly exxagerating, (no clue how to spell that...) because a wii has more cpu power than my computer. i think...
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:34 pm

smitty wrote:because a wii has more cpu power than my computer. i think...
your computer must be stunningly awful! spectacularly, terrifically terrible! :mrgreen:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:07 pm

Okay, apparently the Wii does in fact NOT have mmore processing power than my computer. Which is actually dissapointing, because emulators actually WORK on my Wii, on my computer they're terribly slow. So even if my computer's not slower than a Wii, but it is terrifically terrible!

mikeyg

Post by mikeyg » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Lock this, please!

snowpenguin

Re: Lock this please!

Post by snowpenguin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:31 pm

Why do you want this locked? Because you don't need help anymore? That's not a very good reason.